Headphones - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    sennheiser hd-25's id say...

amazing sound quality, good isolation, every single part is replaceable (and spare parts are readily available online)so if something breaks you dont need to buy a whole new pair of headphones.
    ^^^that or upspend for TMA's
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalManipulation View Post
    So my old headphones crapped out on me and I have never been to much of an audiophile so I was hoping some of the community here could give me some tips on headphones that I am looking at.

The List:

Ultrasone DJ1 Pros (worried about build, heard they are not the greatest)

Allen & Heath Xone XD-53

Somewhat noobish but I have a 50% off coupon for Skullcandy products but I was looking at the SK Pro Carbons just because they would be cheap.]

any suggestions around $150?

Thanks DJ TT community!
    I got a pair of DJ1 Pro's about a month ago. They sound so fucking awesome and I would say the build quality is actually quite good. They come with a really nice hard case which includes two detachable cords both being screwed in to the ear-cup itself. One is 1/4in and its really long, the other is short and fits perfect with my iPod the cord is long enough to fit in my pocket but not so long that I'd have extra cord hanging out. They also come with an extra set of foam pads for your ears.

The sound-stage is amazing, you feel like your at a concert in the orchestra pit. Bass is tight, mids and highs are crisp but never metallic. I'd say they offer a pretty flat response, prolly add a little on the low end but they are really good at letting you hear exactly what the song sounds like.

They can get really loud! I have yet to hear them sound bad, im too afraid to put the volume up too loud because I know they will break my ears before the drivers break!

Tech Mentor

thanks you guys this is some good info!

+1 on the AIAIAIs. I finally broke down and bought some and they are amazing for the price. But the foam cups are not made for DJing - in fact I'd say they're not made for using at all. The leather ones provide the sound isolation you'll want when you're playing in a loud club, and they sound a lot better for just listening to them too.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    +1 on the AIAIAIs. I finally broke down and bought some and they are amazing for the price. But the foam cups are not made for DJing - in fact I'd say they're not made for using at all. The leather ones provide the sound isolation you'll want when you're playing in a loud club, and they sound a lot better for just listening to them too.
    Fair - I suppose it's more me being a tight-arsed, and trying to 'save' the leathers. Not yet played a very noisy club. Good for home 'tho, so I know when the wife is trying to get hold of me

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    sennheiser hd-25's id say...

amazing sound quality, good isolation, every single part is replaceable (and spare parts are readily available online)so if something breaks you dont need to buy a whole new pair of headphones.
    do you mind taking a picture of you wearing the hd-25's so i can see how much "over ear" it actually is? i unfortunately have very sensitive ears and the cups cant be pressing against my ears/head

On topic: I have a pair of DJ1's and there pretty good imo

for the record i dont really feel the hdj 500's on my ears that much unless i bob my head hard

unfortunately, what i dont like is that theyre just as wide as my over ears. but i guess thats the trade off for better drivers.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

+1 for theory's quote. I ordered a pair of the DJ1 Pros. They were cheaper then the xd-53's and more to my style than the HD-25's. I hope to post a review on this thread when I get them, thanks everyone for the help but I hope we continue this discussion on headphones. I'd love to hear user input on other brands! Thanks everyone

Tech Mentor

Sorry for the lengthy post

Hey guys I was reading here and while I thought I was set on hd-25s I was checking out the v-moda crossfades online today.

Anyone have an opinion on them? I watched some youtube reviews and many said that aren't true to sound with a little more bass than normal and more for general listening. That doesn't bother me too much but how do you think they weigh out dollar for dollar in comparison to the hd-25s?

Obviously the hd-25s are better and would be my first choice but they are also like $75 more (about $115 compared with $200) which is a lot of money for a teenager who is saving up for college.

I have never used good headphones before in my life so obviously either of these are going to sound godly to me so as long as they're pretty true with a good kick of bass is pretty much what I want.

Comfortability/light weight is also a pretty important feature to have as my major is pretty difficult and will require many hours of study so having something that won't hurt is important. Not sure if this is a big deal breaker with the senns as some people have said they can be pretty tight on the ears but I have an average sized head so not sure.

Noise isolation: this just means how much sound they block out right, I don't want to confuse this with noise cancelling which I don't need. The senns have better isolation but I really don't know how much I need. I am only in my room right now but want to play at frat houses next year so it shouldn't be too loud there.

Durability: As much as I'd like to say I would take absolute best care of them, I feel like I am not the most careful person. Not that I would toss them around or anything but if I forget about them in my backpack and then accidentally step on my backpack while it's on the floor.
    I know that v-moda has a pretty good warranty and 50% off for the rest of your life if you damage them, so that's pretty enticing. Not sure about senns.

Summary: need something comfortable, good for everyday/casual/library use, will not be worn to the gym, not used for producing, will maybe be used for house parties but i'm far from that point, spending less money would be ideal here but if the senns truly are much better I can drop the cash.

Also saw these but kinda pricey in comparison to the crossfades but seem better and more like the senns.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-True-Blood-V-80-Noise-Isolating/dp/B0058M3RXW"]Amazon.com: V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone: Electronics

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Limited-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce"]Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Matte Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tLa7hRyCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tLa7hRyCL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Phantom/dp/B003BYRGLI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328059904&sr =1-3"]Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Phantom Chrome): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CAZa1kgnL.@@AMEPARAM@@41CAZa1kgnL[/ame]

Can't find the exact senns on amazon

Also if anyone has knowledge of where I can get senns under $200 that would be awesome. It seems that $115-$120 is a pretty common price for the crossfades on ebay, but not sure if I should buy from ebay.
    Last edited by rcs1113; 01-31-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    Sorry for the lengthy post

Hey guys I was reading here and while I thought I was set on hd-25s I was checking out the v-moda crossfades online today.

Anyone have an opinion on them? I watched some youtube reviews and many said that aren't true to sound with a little more bass than normal and more for general listening. That doesn't bother me too much but how do you think they weigh out dollar for dollar in comparison to the hd-25s?

Obviously the hd-25s are better and would be my first choice but they are also like $75 more (about $115 compared with $200) which is a lot of money for a teenager who is saving up for college.

I have never used good headphones before in my life so obviously either of these are going to sound godly to me so as long as they're pretty true with a good kick of bass is pretty much what I want.

Comfortability/light weight is also a pretty important feature to have as my major is pretty difficult and will require many hours of study so having something that won't hurt is important. Not sure if this is a big deal breaker with the senns as some people have said they can be pretty tight on the ears but I have an average sized head so not sure.

Noise isolation: this just means how much sound they block out right, I don't want to confuse this with noise cancelling which I don't need. The senns have better isolation but I really don't know how much I need. I am only in my room right now but want to play at frat houses next year so it shouldn't be too loud there.

Durability: As much as I'd like to say I would take absolute best care of them, I feel like I am not the most careful person. Not that I would toss them around or anything but if I forget about them in my backpack and then accidentally step on my backpack while it's on the floor.
    I know that v-moda has a pretty good warranty and 50% off for the rest of your life if you damage them, so that's pretty enticing. Not sure about senns.

Summary: need something comfortable, good for everyday/casual/library use, will not be worn to the gym, not used for producing, will maybe be used for house parties but i'm far from that point, spending less money would be ideal here but if the senns truly are much better I can drop the cash.

Also saw these but kinda pricey in comparison to the crossfades but seem better and more like the senns.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-True-Blood-V-80-Noise-Isolating/dp/B0058M3RXW"]Amazon.com: V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone: Electronics

Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Matte Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Phantom Chrome): Electronics

Can't find the exact senns on amazon

Also if anyone has knowledge of where I can get senns under $200 that would be awesome. It seems that $115-$120 is a pretty common price for the crossfades on ebay, but not sure if I should buy from ebay.
    Senns come with a standard warranty but everything is replaceable so if you do manage to break them (which is unlikely) then you can get parts for it. Basically you'll have them for life. Theres a guy selling second hand ones in the buy and sell section for $150 (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45721)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast