Midifighter Update for Mac OS X - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I successfully flashed one MF with this but my broken MF is still broken When I plug it in only the upper left light lights and that's it; the buttons provide no signals and no changes in the lights. When I go to flash I'm told "Failed to find a MF in Bootloader mode." I tried using the jumpers to enter bootloader mode to no avail either. Any other suggestions?

Erm, second time's a charm. It actually was going into bootloader mode but that light stayed lit so I wasn't sure, and then I followed the instructions in the app which tells you to disconnect it and enter bootloader mode the easy way (which wasnt working on this one) so I was inadvertently resetting it. This time when I did the jumper trick I clicked OK in the application even though I hadn't removed the USB cord, and it found the MF and updated it straight away. I now have three working midifighters again! Woohoo!!

Yeah, it's confusing that there's two ways of getting into Bootloader mode.

The keypress method only works if you have functioning firmware to start off with as it requires the MF to read the keypresses and drop itself into that mode (committing suicide, essentially). This is "The Keypress Method".

The PCB-shorting version is pretty much only for rescuing broken firmware. I guess we should refer to that one as "The Rescue Method".

Part of the problem is that in order to update your firmware the program has to wipe the firmware, putting the device into a "broken state" for less than a second. If you don't finish updating correctly then you can leave the device in this broken state that requires you to use the Rescue Method to get any further. We may need to be clearer about these distinctions in the future.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 01-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Is there a way to change the name of the midifighter so Traktor doesn't get confused when you have more than one connected? I always have some trouble getting it to recognize both midifighters at once.

Just going back to 1st Generation Dual Core Macbook compatibility, should this work on all Macs or are there restrictions?

M

Macbook Intel Core Duo
    2GB 667Mhz Ram
    OS Version 10.6.6

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Hmm. Would this be an Intel-based Macbook?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Is there a way to change the name of the midifighter so Traktor doesn't get confused when you have more than one connected? I always have some trouble getting it to recognize both midifighters at once.
    I'm not sure, but I think I read something about doing that in audio/midi preferences.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think I read something about doing that in audio/midi preferences.
    The name given to the device is entirely up to the OS. Because the Midifighter is a "class compliant" USB device, we use the built-in drivers for the "USB-MIDI" class of devices, a subclass of the "Audio" class of USB devices. If we had our own drivers we could support whatever behavior we want, but because Apple or Microsoft provide the drivers we have to work their way.

That's the price of "it just works".

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    The name given to the device is entirely up to the OS. Because the Midifighter is a "class compliant" USB device, we use the built-in drivers for the "USB-MIDI" class of devices, a subclass of the "Audio" class of USB devices. If we had our own drivers we could support whatever behavior we want, but because Apple or Microsoft provide the drivers we have to work their way.

That's the price of "it just works".
    I know that we users of the forums are just "take-take-take" but what about a set of "advanced use" drivers for MF owners. I.e. can still do plug and play but for advanced features such as using 2 MF - can install official MF drivers.
    London - UK
    VCI-100-SE Arcade Moded (v1.4 FW), 2 x CDJ-1000, 1 x 1210 MK2, A&H Xone:62, 2 x KRK RP 6 G2's, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 1 x Midi Fighter, Audio8DJ, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Novation 25, Korg Kontrol, 1 x custom built MacPro (Quad Core i7, 6GB DDR3 RAM, OSX 10.7.1), 1 x MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8)

Quote Originally Posted by notshy View Post
    I know that we users of the forums are just "take-take-take" but what about a set of "advanced use" drivers for MF owners. I.e. can still do plug and play but for advanced features such as using 2 MF - can install official MF drivers.
    +1 ... or at least some other way to trick Traktor into noticing that 2 midifighters plugged in are actually 2 different controllers. Or is there some other kind of workaround? It's really tedious to get it working this way and sometimes requires several restarts of the software.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    +1 ... or at least some other way to trick Traktor into noticing that 2 midifighters plugged in are actually 2 different controllers. Or is there some other kind of workaround? It's really tedious to get it working this way and sometimes requires several restarts of the software.
    you can change the name of the MF thru the audio/midi on OSX, i had changed the name of my VCI
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast