How can he do it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Question How can he do it?

Hey guys I have a little question.. You know Dj Shiftee.He is champion of DMC.

And my question is how can he do it on this video? http://youtube.com/watch?gl=US&clien...ldescription=1
    in 3:00 he clicking the pad and you hear a kick.then he clicking more and kick replaying fast.Then he playing like a synth.how can I do it ?

I THINK, all he's doing is decreasing the size of a loop each time he hits the button on his silver controller (looks like a nanopad). you'll notice that if you set a loop and continually cut it in half, the smaller the loop, the more it starts to take on it's own tone/timbre. i only know how to get a loop as small as 1/32 in Traktor, though there must be a way to cut them down further because Shiftee's using it in the video, but i've actually messed around jumping between 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 loops during mixes for the tonal sounds they create.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

He set the loop to 1/32 and is changing the key when he's playing it like a synth.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

So korg nanopad is can programmable for loop speed?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by anilgny View Post
    Its possibilities are whatever the software, Traktor in this case has to offer. By mapping. So yes.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The way it looks is that Shiftee has the button mapped to set a loop and the with each press decreases the size of the loop. When he gets to the end he switches that same button to change the key in the same way. The button underneath the top buttons works the same way it just increases the loop size or the key.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    He set the loop to 1/32 and is changing the key when he's playing it like a synth.
    i don't think he's changing the key, unless he has a macro mapped, and even still the loops's key doesn't sound like it changes when he first starts decreasing the size. he's only using two buttons on the nanopad, one to decrease loop size (the top left corner), and one to increase the loop size (bottom left corner). which begs the question i was hoping somebody would address after seeing my first post: is there a way to cut loops smaller than 1/32 in Traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by anilgny View Post
    yes, loop speed is programmable (that would be bpm/tempo), but i think what you mean to ask is if loop size is programmable. and the answer to that obviously is yes, as well.
    Last edited by mattcheau; 03-07-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: forgot to respond to OP

Tech Student

You said sound playing 1/32.but he click nanopad looks like more than 1/32.sound speed is can be 1/64 or more?because I think loops speed playing 1/32 and you can't speed no more..

Tech Wizard

Just some thoughts:
    Maybe he's just setting his loop to 1/32 and then use pitch to make it faster ?
    Or he sets his loop to 1/32 and change the sound by moving the loop along the track ?

Tech Guru

To me, it just sound like a short loop and playing with the key for the the most part. But the confusing part is how he achieved doing so in such short steps.

Its kinda hard to tell what all is going on or what is pressed. He sets up the loop and starts to shorten with one of the nano buttons. Then moves his cursor (somewhere you can't really see in the video) and presses the same two buttons to control the key and its sounds like it has value (decent sized jumps).

Idk, but thanks for bringing this up. Missed it the first time watching.

You could say direct modifiers. But you would need to use 4 buttons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast