VCI-100, FW 1.2, 2 Decks, Traktor Pro (Scratching, Juggling, Great FX Control) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

In Beat Jump mode, the transport buttons are mapped to cues 1-4, and the tops of the jogs will jump to whatever cue or loop was last active.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

thanks Zac Kyoti, it works now, thank you. this 's a great tsi for me

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife Island, Spain

Very intersting... I'm still testing, but take a grateful hug from me!

Tech Wizard

Hi Zac, is it possible to make a 4 decks tsi for FW 1.2

Tech Wizard

Wink

Props
    Hey ZAK! The best TSI I've found since the debute of Traktor Pro "bar none". I love the Beatjump mode but I wish that the loop functioned less like the beat jump.

Mode2 (SW12 Enabled):
    SW9/SW11 (the 3 buttons next the 4 vertical buttons [SW12-SW15]) seem work for looping on the fly as long as "Snap" is enabled. I added a keyboard shortcut to "S" to toggle Snapping quickly.

While using SW9/SW10 to create a true loop, and editing the loop length using SW16/SW18 (up/down), it changes the loop-in when it would make more sense to have it change the loop-out. Since music travels right to left within traktor, it makes it produce a function more like the "beat jump" which is redundant.

I personally prefer to loop 4 bars, 2, 1, and then 1/2 at the beginning of the loop. This should be an easy fix on my end, just thought I would make a note.

GUI
    I noticed that the current "play" portion of the track, indicated by the red marker, is to far to the left. This is great for prepairing for upcoming loops and cues, but not so much for seeing the beginning of your loop as you are adjusting it. Changing the ability to adjust the loop-out from loop-in could solve this. Though it still might serve better around 30%-35% mark. (Didn't even know this could be adjusted, but I adjusted it in Pref\GVO\Playmarker Position.)

FX:
    -Knobs have to be at 50% to begin adjusting the respective function. Is there anything that can be done about this or is this the curse of a "smart" knob.

-I would consider using the outter jog wheel (pitch bend) to control an adjacent knob.

The effect would be disabled temporarily as you released the center of the jog to adjust the outter "acrylic" portion while in "chained" mode, but not while in "advanced" as you could resort to the effect toggle. I typically have two fingers on a platter at any given time during juggle mode; first finger on the inner plate and middle finger on the outter acrylic. This would allow for the quick adjustment of another "chained" FX, or ajacent function such as "GATE" or "ROT" (using Beatmasher for example) while in "Advanced" mode.

Just as the D/W is controlled by a knob as well as the inner platter, I would keep a knob available for whatever you choose to asign the acrylic portion to. Just something to consider, you would know better than I if this would be a feasable option.

Cons:
    Preview:
    I am having difficulty previewing tracks in either of your 3 modes though, just as I was while using Ean's SE TSI file, which is why I downloaded yours to begin with. I'm sure its there, as I've seen "preview" mentioned in your tutorial.

Play:
    Sometimes, pressing play will not initialize a track in DECK B or DECK A using the controller or within tracker. If I spin the platter, then press play it will begin to play. And yes, I ensured I'm not in mode2 or mode3. I was able to replicate the error a couple times, not sure if it has to do with SYNCing or the MASTER deck setting. This is not a bug I've experienced so it might be native to your TSI file.

Key:
    When adjusting the tempo, sometimes it locks the "key" from the low tempo so that when I increase the tempo, the "key" is still low. I have to toggle the key in order reset it. This is not a bug I've experienced so it might be native to your TSI file.

Plea
    Because I'm tired of explaining what buttons and commands I'm talking about I will refer to the controls as labeled by Vestax, and I encourage others with issues regarding any TSI file to do the same.
    VCI-100 Control Layout

*Notes*
    Froze VCI-100 2x while using effects controls extensively during testing.
    Last edited by Cayotic; 01-19-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added "cons" to the post

Tech Guru

Thank you much! I'll try and address some of your observations - thanks for the feedback!

(the 3 buttons next the 4 vertical buttons [SW12-SW15]) seem work for looping on the fly as long as "Snap" is enabled. I added a keyboard shortcut to "S" to toggle Snapping quickly.
    Yeah, I have a bunch of commands mapped to the keyboard, including "S" to toggle snap mode. I turn it on for tracks with a computer locked tempo, and off for older, looser material. If you check the "hotkeys" box on import, you can see which commands I've mapped.

While using SW9/SW10 to create a true loop, and editing the loop length using SW16/SW18 (up/down), it changes the loop-in when it would make more sense to have it change the loop-out.
    Yeah, I know this is different than how most people have it set up, and here is the reason why: Since the loop length is set manually (I prefer this for flexibility), I don't really use this function to select loop lengths so much, but instead use it to create builds by shortening. The advantage of the loop start moving is that when you have set a loop set to end just before a drop, shortening the loop won't make you play that segment again when you turn off the loop, and first beat of the next bar will drop right on the one, keeping things on the right phrase. If you like it better the traditional way, like you said, the fix is pretty basic.

I noticed that the current "play" portion of the track, indicated by the red marker, is to far to the left. (Didn't even know this could be adjusted, but I adjusted it in Pref\GVO\Playmarker Position.)
    Great idea, I'll look into this!

FX:-Knobs have to be at 50% to begin adjusting the respective function. Is there anything that can be done about this or is this the curse of a "smart" knob.
    It shouldn't be 50% so much as wherever the knob was last set to. I have my FX settings saved as snapshots, so I just need to move the knob to wherever that is before it takes effect. Personally I just have it set this way because I like the smooth transition as opposed to parameter jumps. You can turn this off by unchecking "soft takeover" in the knob commands.

-I would consider using the outter jog wheel (pitch bend) to control an adjacent knob.
    This is an interesting thought. I think it's possible to do, though it may be pretty involved with the number of modifiers in this tsi. I'll hold on to the idea for another release! At present, I really like being able to nudge the tempo in both regular and cue juggle modes, but it's not critical, so I think this could be a cool idea for the future.

I am having difficulty previewing tracks in either of your 3 modes though
    Not sure what to tell you here. The middle "preview" button should be available in regular and beat jump modes. I can't replicate the problem.

Sometimes, pressing play will not initialize a track in DECK B or DECK A using the controller or within tracker. If I spin the platter, then press play it will begin to play.
    I've experienced this as well. I don't think it's a bug in the tsi, because there isn't anything fancy happening with the play commands, but it is a drag. I'm going to see if I can replicate it with other users' tsi files, to confirm if it's just TPro or not.

When adjusting the tempo, sometimes it locks the "key" from the low tempo so that when I increase the tempo, the "key" is still low. I have to toggle the key in order reset it.
    I can't replicate this one either. You're sure this happens when the "key" button is disengaged? Right now, it's set up so that when "key" is off, the tempo control responds like a traditional turntable, but when "key" is on, the tempo control only controls tempo, and pitch is controlled by the small "balance" knobs. Let me know exactly how and when the issue happens.

Froze VCI-100 2x while using effects controls extensively during testing.
    I haven't completely frozen my VCI-100 yet, but I've noticed that on occasion the FX section will stop responding. I'm guessing by the fact that this section gives so many users so much trouble with many tsi files, that there may be a hardware issue in here somewhere. I want to track down the cause though, so if a freeze happens to you, definitely send me info about how, when, and what mode you were in. On a side note, TPro doesn't seem to have an issue with the VCI-100 being turned off, then on again, should a problem arise. Thanks again, and keep me posted!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

I was able to preview tracks once I got home and reopened traktor. So I'm good there.

The key is enabled, and the light on the controller confirms this. I usually leave it on unless I'm slowing down a beat, on a loop. (Chooped n screwed style). Its random when it happens.

I'm having an issue with the master select. Is it the opposite sync button that activates the master deck? (Sync B activates deck A master) I was trying to set a cue point in B and A was still master just because it was playing, though the crossfader was on Deck B. So the hostcues were being established in Deck A,and it created all 8 of them before I noticed what was going on. ;-)

Glad you like the idea of using the pitch fader as a knob. It might prove to be interesting.

Ean uses the deck volume sliders as knobs which I'm not a fan of, but I wouldnt mind using them for D/W controls as they don't get used as heavily as the knobs.

Also, I like Eans preview function as it allows u to scroll using the jog wheel for quick searching. But that means looking for another button that isn't really available on the controller since u used them all.

Timtango, over at the NI forums, uses a knob for preview scrubbing. A feature that allows the end user to quickly scan through a preview track. I used that feature extensivly as well.

Not that u have enough on your "jog wheel" already. Just throwing ideas at what I believe can be a 10/10 TSI file. Its already a 9/10 from what I've seen though! Keep up the good work bro!

Tech Guru

Hmm, check to see that your key lock is off when unloading/loading new tracks. NI has confirmed that there are some issues with how keylock affects other behaviors when it's turned on. This is about all I can tell ya. I have it turned off all the time except when I want to pitch a track differently, or have it sound like the original when the tempo is changed.

TPro decides automatically that the master deck is the one with the longest uninterrupted play time. The functions in this tsi should be independent of that, so if you push sync left, it will focus on deck A. Sync right, deck B, and the same should happen with the cue buttons, touching the platters, copying, and loading.

Except I just noticed it's not focusing on load in regular mode. I'll fix that.

Now as far as jog searching, I made a version of this tsi that had that function, but I soon realized it did a lot of messy things to other functions and the layout. If I can figure out how to do this cleanly, I'll add it (the main problem is with only two modifiers allowed per command, it's difficult to turn certain things off when a third modifier gets involved).

A preview scrub could get added to one of the unused knobs in effect parameter select = mas I like that idea.

When I post the next version of this tsi, there's also going to be a change to the way individual FX are selected. Within each FX unit, there will be a hold button, then the FX are selected via knob. I have a working version, it's pretty sweet because you release the hold, and you're already in the unit with your hands on the controls. I like this way better than how it's set up now. I'll put the changes together and release as soon as I can.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djkenkenhk View Post
    Hi Zac, is it possible to make a 4 decks tsi for FW 1.2
    DJ KenKen - yes, I have a 4 deck tsi that's done and ready to go. Native Instruments is fixing the soft takeover issue in the next update, and I am only waiting for that before I post the tsi, since that fix will make it sooo much more dj friendly. Check back here, I'll let ya know when it's live.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Hmm, check to see that your key lock is off when unloading/loading new tracks. NI has confirmed that there are some issues with how keylock affects other behaviors when it's turned on. This is about all I can tell ya. I have it turned off all the time except when I want to pitch a track differently, or have it sound like the original when the tempo is changed.
    Will do, seems a little excessive. Too bad, Traktor didn't do that for us already.

TPro decides automatically that the master deck is the one with the longest uninterrupted play time. The functions in this tsi should be independent of that, so if you push sync left, it will focus on deck A. Sync right, deck B, and the same should happen with the cue buttons, touching the platters, copying, and loading.

Except I just noticed it's not focusing on load in regular mode. I'll fix that.
    I'll be sure to stop a track well before I start mashing up the opposing deck.

When I post the next version of this tsi, there's also going to be a change to the way individual FX are selected. Within each FX unit, there will be a hold button, then the FX are selected via knob. I have a working version, it's pretty sweet because you release the hold, and you're already in the unit with your hands on the controls. I like this way better than how it's set up now. I'll put the changes together and release as soon as I can.
    Will it be one FX hold button or one per FX channel? I kind like the way it is now because the illumination of the FX button idicates it status. Though just enabling it with the knob would be sweet too, so long as its status could be determined via its respective toggle below.

Speaking of illumination, where do you indicate the color of the LED? I like how Ean alternates the transport button colors; orange, green, orange green. A bit picky I know

One thing that you might consider, is useing all 8 transport buttons for all 8 hotcues of the focused deck. If there was a way to use a modifier to switch between 4x4 or all 8 for the focused deck, then I might consider it implementing it. But I don't know how many ppl actually use all 8 hotcues, I think I use 4 to 5.

You might want to have your users vote on performance mods that you are going to implement at the expense of other features, if you even have to sacrifice any, I'm not sure. Then again, I don't know if this forum has voting poles or not.

It wouldn't hurt to start a paypal donation link. I know I got $5 on it. I'm actually getting better use out of my controller and I have yet to perform with it.

What kind of music do you perform with, so I can get a feel for how you utilize your setup? Maybe post a youtube video, or consider creating an overlay template. I'm pretty good with photoshop if you just wanted to label your functions based on the VCI-100 commands listed in the PDF I posted.

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast