Studio Monitors - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Studio Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    berhinger truths tend to lie... lol, theyre probably one of the least flat set of monitors available on the market. dont get me wrong, they sound descent, but more like a descent pair of hi-fi speakers. they lack a lot of dynamic depth, and tend to cut some elements out of the mix, which is kind of the opposite of the point of monitors.

save up some money and get a descent pair, you wont regret it. yamaha's, KRK's or Mackies are all good mid priced options, and M-audio make some great monitors for the price, and tend to be cheaper, but dont sacrifice on quality too much.

Berhinger = good, cheap midi controllers & audio units for beginners
    Berhinger = BAD monitors, analogue mixers, and DJ mixers (accept the ddm4000)
    Well, I did hear loadsa producers use the older Truths to mimic the club sound at home. Maybe they use 'em as extra reference?
    (Don't know if it's true, but too many are saying this to ignore it.)

And I heared great things about the 'new' Truths, being that they seem to be knockoffs of the Mackie HR series.
    If this is true, then I know what I'll be saving up for next.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-06-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Filterkat

dont get me wrong, theyre great speakers... but not really accurate as monitors. they sound great, but theyre far from flat. it would still be possible to make great sounding tracks on them, you may just have to compensate in certain areas of your mix to get it right. theyre exelent for listening and "monitoring" your home DJ sets. but as for "accurate production monitors" ... no. theyre frequency response curve is just too coloured and FAR from anything flat. like you said, they allmost mimmic the club sound, but a club doesnt, and shouldnt sound anything like a recording studio.

if you compare the curves...

Berhinger Truth B2030A monitors

Yamaha HS-80M

although neither are "truly" flat the HS80m's are probably some of the closest your going to get.

sure they both fluctuate. but the 80's have very minimal fluctuation whereas the berhingers have big chunks of fluctuation particularly in the low and mid. maybe thats why they sound so simmilar to the "club sound"???

anyway... the truths... theyre good speakers, but not very accurate for detailed production monitoring

Yeah, by judging from the graphs you're more than right!
    Though the specs in this pdf are great, when considering the new B1030A:
    http://www.behringerdownload.de/_Bro...WeBrochure.pdf

Than again, I'm a big fan of the Mackies.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-06-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Filterkat

ive considered buying a pair of the berhingers, just as a cheaper "second reference" because, as awesome as my yamaha monitors are, they hardly reflect the "real world" standards of everyday people. most people have a fairly average audio system.

so i figured, if my tracks sound good on...

1. my yamahas
    2. possibly a set of berhingers
    3. in the car
    4. on a shitty 10 year old sony CD player

if the track sounds good on all of those, i know ive mixed and mastered the track well.

it definately allways helps to have a second, third and fourth point of reference. the more points of reference you have, the better id say.

True that man!

Still need to get me some more space, so I will be able to purchase and place active near fields as well.

For now I have to make do with a small surround set and a Peavey PA set. LoLz.

Usually when I get round to finding suitable nearfields, I tend to get back to Mackies, Fostex and Yamaha.

Filterkat

p.s. tekki, check ur e-mail

Reading and trying to give answers on my part so far. ;D

Thanks man!

And reply is in your mailbox.

Tech Wizard

So for home studio monitors I'm looking at the mackie MR5's, the behringer B1030A's and the yamaha HS80's even though they are a little more expensive.. based on the graphs it seems like the yamaha's give the most accurate response at the different frequencies.

But if I can save and just mimick that club sound without necessarily having to compensate, could the B1030A's be enough?

Filterkat

you could probably get away with the berhingers, but you will have to compensate in your head for certain frequency areas which can get a little frustrating. I remember having to do this at one point when i had no room for my yamahas and had to set up a pair of tiny shitty old monitors i had, and i allways ended up overcompensating for the bass... lol. Another work around would be to have really good, flat set of cans for production, i highly reccomend any of the AKG, slightly higher end stuff, K171 (i think) K240s, and all the "studio" pairs they make. If you have a good set of cans, hopefully you can pick up on certain things you wouldnt with your monitors if they lack a little in certain areas.

The reason for this, is because the frequency response isnt quite as flat on the berhingers, you wont accurately hear certain frequency ranges as well as other monitors, so youll have to keep in mind that "around these frequencies, my monitors are a little low, so they should sound a bit higher normally" or "this area is a little boosted on my monitors, so it should sound a bit lower normally". it can do your head in though :P

Personally, id save a little more and go for the mackies or yamahas, because i can guarantee you wont be disapointed. That said, you wont be disapointed by the berhingers either, but only because they will be your only point of reference. If you had a pair of yamahas or mackies, and then went to the berhingers, you would notice the difference straight away. If you get a chance to listen to them side by side, do it and see what you think, and weigh up if the extra clarity/depth is worth the extra cash.

Try go to a guitar centre or shop that sells all these monitors (if you have the chance), and test them all out individually and side by side if possible, i also highly reccomend bringing one of your favourite all time tracks that you know back to front and listened to a million times, because then, you should know exactly what the track should sound like, and its much easier to pick out the key differences between monitors, then going of a track that they play there for you at the shop. Then its up to you to weigh up the differences between quality/cost.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast