Studio Monitors
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Studio Monitors

Tech Wizard

Default Studio Monitors

I'm looking for a good, but affordable pair of studio monitors. I know about what to look for in specs and what not but I was wondering if anyone has a pair they prefer to use? Which ones should I stay away from? Any input would be great. Thanks!

KRK is usually pretty good bang for your bucks. Look into the RP6 G2's.

I have a slight preference for the Mackie MR-5 when comparing to the KRKs.

Liking the soundquality and the build quality better on Mackie.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Filterkat

i really like the yamaha's. I have a pair of HS-80M's probably some of the best sounding monitors ive heard so far apart from genelecs or ADAM's which would be WAAY out of your price range (over a grand per monitor, some even go up to 7 or 8 grand per monitor). We also used to have a pair of HS-80M's and a few other pairs of monitors at the recording studio i worked at, so i can compare them to other monitors pretty well. they might be a bit out of your pricerange though (700-800 per monitor) so check out the HS-50M's, theyre smaller, and dont seem to have as deep a bass, but the mids and highs are identicall to the 80's and theyre still very good bass wise when you compare them to other monitors in their size range. KRK's are nice too. Mackies i like aswel, we had a pair of those exact monitors in the studio aswel, used them for the close range monitors. Very crisp, allmost too crisp though if i had to say something about them. Otherwise, good bang for buck are the Maudio monitors... the 8 inch ones... great bass response, mids and highs are very clear also, Not quite as good as some other monitors of that size but theyre the only descent monitors with an 8 inch driver i know of in a low to mid pricerange (i think there about 300-350 per monitor which is good for 8 inch monitors of that quality). Basswise they would definatly destroy any 5 or 6 inch monitors. Personally i preffer having larger (8 inch) monitors, rather than small monitors and a sub. I tend to find subs often overcompensate unless you spend hours getting all your levels right and using correct placement and audio acoustic treatment. But i doubt you will be setting up a professional recording studio, so you most likely wont be doing any of that.

Im pretty anal about everything soundwise though, real nit picky. Guess i kind of picked that up at audio engineering college and in the studio.

If you want good, (fairly) cheap, quality bass, mids/highs, check out the M-audios i think its the bx8a's or something like that. If you can afford them, check out the Yamaha's both HS-50M and HS-80M, or any of the KRK's or Mackies are pretty good. Id personally stick to those brands, as most of the other brands dont tend to make very good monitors, or if they do, theyre ridiculously expensive like genelecs or ADAMs

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all the advice! Looking to get a pair in the next week now.

Tech Wizard

Whats the consesus of the behringer truths? I heard they are pretty good and well-priced

Im looking for a monitor now as well

Filterkat

berhinger truths tend to lie... lol, theyre probably one of the least flat set of monitors available on the market. dont get me wrong, they sound descent, but more like a descent pair of hi-fi speakers. they lack a lot of dynamic depth, and tend to cut some elements out of the mix, which is kind of the opposite of the point of monitors.

save up some money and get a descent pair, you wont regret it. yamaha's, KRK's or Mackies are all good mid priced options, and M-audio make some great monitors for the price, and tend to be cheaper, but dont sacrifice on quality too much.

Berhinger = good, cheap midi controllers & audio units for beginners
    Berhinger = BAD monitors, analogue mixers, and DJ mixers (accept the ddm4000)

I love JBL.

unbelievable accurate highs and decent mids. really tight and accurate bass response as well. mackies seemed to be bass heavy and the krks are just a bit muddy at the mid and high end...I know im being picky ( i would have picked up the krk's had I not got such a great discount on the JBL LSR-2300s)

my humble opinion of course.

Filterkat

omg totally forgot about JBL, i used to have a pair of JBL's before my yamahas. yeah, JBL are great.... tried and tested

they make great PA speakers aswel

ive got a set of tannoy reval 5a's and love them it was one of the first things i did when i got reason a few years back was to make sure i had these. Sonically they are excellent unless your looking for them to be a subwoofer as well other than that you cant go wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast