How Do You Get To Know Your Music? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by mr.magma View Post
    mostapha: you say it takes you like 15 seconds to beat grid, any tips on that? I know that's kind of OT but even if anyone could direct me to some resources that would be useful too... So far I do most of my mixing manually but if I want to sync I would like a proper beatgrid set up, I've checked out a bunch of tutorials and they all have varying techniques, most of it takes longer than that... I saw a video of Ean recommending removing the automatic track analysis then starting at the the first snare beat instead of the kick and scanning through the track to make sure it's all aligned... While I've also seen people use the metronome and go through the whole track and moving the grid around, it's just not always as good as I want it to be, I've seen auto warping on Ableton or even the auto-syncing on VDJ do a better job... So if you or anyone could help/refer to anything related to that, that'd be awesome, otherwise I'll continue looking into it and practicing, it just seems like quite a lengthly process to go through and given that I have like 3000 tracks in my collection and it's growing daily it would be quite painstaking to do that for all the tracks but I would want too.

Thanks again...
    Might depend on the genre you're beatgridding, but for EDM Mostapha's 15 seconds sound quite reasonable. Traktor's autodetection is very close in (at least) 90% of the cases, I would say. You might have to change the location of the beatmarker (if there's silence before the sound starts) and you probably have to adjust the beatmarker's position a tiny bit (I jump into later portions of the track and then adjust visually). I usually also set cue-points when I'm beatgridding, but that doesn't add that much more time thanks to the waveform display (so all in all a track takes maybe a minute or so).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply 3heads, yeah I mainly mix EDM, it is usually pretty accurate but through the various tutorials I looked at I came across the common errors I would have to fix when auto-gridding so I will practice doing it for a bunch of tracks then mix them to see how well it goes... So you don't recommend the metronome?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345