Are there any MIDI/USB Controllers that *do not* require the need of a laptop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are there any MIDI/USB Controllers that *do not* require the need of a laptop?

I'm not sure if my last attempt at posting went through...can't find it.

Anyway:

I'm on a budget, wondering if there's any MIDI controllers out there that do not require the use of a laptop.

What I'm picturing is something that looks like maybe a Pioneer DDJ-T1 but doesn't need a laptop. I just plug the unit into a mixer and a USB drive into the deck and go to it.

Anything out there like that? Thanks!

Tech Wizard

Think this is one of the only things that fits the bill!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...+System/XDJ-R1

Tech Guru

If you don't need CD drives and want something slimmer, there's the XDJ Aero too.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Default thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aseckel View Post
    Think this is one of the only things that fits the bill!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...+System/XDJ-R1
    Wow, This looks perfect! I just got done watching a reviewing this unit. I'm still not 100% clear on if I can use this without the ipad/iphone if i want, whether I'm playing on USB or CDJ.

I just want to be crystal clear on that capability before shelling out the cash. It seems like they really want people to use the app.

Tech Guru

The whole point of a MIDI controller is to send MIDI to another device. By their nature, they've always been designed to control something else. So I think you're getting a little confused when you call it a "controller".

What you're looking for are stand alone devices - NOT MIDI controllers. And yes, there are a few out there. The Pioneer gear (as mentioned above) is excellent. Stanton has a product called the SCS.4DJ which is also very compelling (and lower priced). There is also the Gemini CDMP-7000, the Numark MixDeck, and a few I won't link (like the B-52).

Tech Mentor

Stand alone devices are midi controllers as well, how else are you able to map them in dj software? Midi is just a standard of communication between devices, wether they are keyboards, synthesizers, dj controllers or what have you. It doesn't mean there is a laptop or another device involved necessarily.

Tech Guru

I really doubt the XDJ series use MIDI as a communication protocol when working in standalone mode.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Stand alone devices are midi controllers as well, how else are you able to map them in dj software?
    Most stand alone synths have the ability to use MIDI, but that doesn't change their category to MIDI controller - they're still synths. All of the products mentioned in this thread can use MIDI. But the whole point of this thread is the OP wants a device that works without a computer. If he were to go to a music store and ask for a MIDI controller, do you think the salesman would understand that he wants something that doesn't need a computer? Now what about if he asked the sales person for a stand alone DJ device?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

DJ tech U3 station
    Stanton SCS4DJ
    Pioneer R1

Theres a few upcoming Gemini products as well

Most stand alone synths have the ability to use MIDI, but that doesn't change their category to MIDI controller - they're still synths. All of the products mentioned in this thread can use MIDI. But the whole point of this thread is the OP wants a device that works without a computer. If he were to go to a music store and ask for a MIDI controller, do you think the salesman would understand that he wants something that doesn't need a computer? Now what about if he asked the sales person for a stand alone DJ device?
    To be fair - we all know what he's talking about, and its a salesman's job to be able to decipher what a person "really" wants
    Last edited by deevey; 03-11-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Tech Guru

To be fair - we all know what he's talking about, and its a salesman's job to be able to decipher what a person "really" wants
    Communication is important. Why use the wrong word for something when it's better for everybody if you use the right one? When you look at the original post, you can see clearly that it's not a controller at all that he's looking for. He's asking specifically for a DJ product that doesn't need a computer. Using the word "controller" to describe it is confusing. I'm not recommending the OP use the correct word because I'm trying to be a jerk - I'm trying to help the OP get the most accurate information possible. And in the same post, I also gave 3 additional recommendations with links - so the OP got the information he was asking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast