2 CDJs and switching decks (2/4) on traktor
    Tech Wizard

Default 2 CDJs and switching decks (2/4) on traktor

is there any possible way to switch decks (2 tables, 4 traktor decks) using timecode setup or maybe a hybrid setup (DN-S3700)??

i'm asking because i have two DN-S3700's, one traktor x1, and a DDM4k. i want to control decks C and D with my DN-S3700 instead of my traktor x1. i am using a tsi to control four decks on my x1, so essentially i can use the x1 to control decks c and d. however, i cannot efficiently fine adjust those decks for cueing on the x1. it feels like a burden and the knobs just don't cut it. basically the main decks are on timecode, and the secondary decks are on midi. i'm not going to buy two mroe DN-S3700's and put them all on timecode. there's no space and money for that. i want to note that putting the DN-S3700 in hybrid mode would allow it to be a midi device, all while allowing timecode at the same time (for purposes of using the spinning platter, which traktor has yet to get going vs. SSL).
    Last edited by tuchubby; 11-24-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Filterkat

yeah theres a way... but your going to have to spend alot of time mapping it...

Firstly... set all your normal mappings with a modifier condition... for instance M=0, and make sure there all targeting Deck A... (MAKE SURE ALL THE CONTROLS ARE MAPPED WITH A MODIFIER OR IT WONT WORK!!!)

then your going to need a spare midi button to create a layer... in your dropdown menu where you have everything you want to control, down the bottom, there should be a tab called modifier... click on the first one, and then set the value to 1... make sure this button is set to toggle... now, press that button and make sure that when you try to control anything on deck A... it DOESNT work... this is a good thing... it means you have successfuly created another layer... normally when you press that button again... everything should work fine... this is going to be your deck layer button... NOW... the tedious part...

go back up your list and DUPLICATE every control in the list... set them to target Deck C instead of deck A and set the modifier condition to M=1 (MAKE SURE YOU SET ALL OF THESE TO M= 1 OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE CONTROLLING THE SAME PARAMATERS ON BOTH DECKS AT ONCE... not good if deck A is playing, you start up deck C and it pauses Deck A)... now normally if you have done everything correctly... when you press the spare button that you assigned to the deck layer... it should swap between decks A and C

Filterkat

wait... are your CDJ's Midi compatible? they will need to be in order to do this...

P.S. you should be able to set all the controls on the CDJ's to the same controls as they are intended for... or different ones (if u want :P)

IF your CDJ's arent midi compatible... theres a way you could swap the deck layers/timecode control from your X1... but its giving me a headache just thinking about it... But it is possible... PM me for more info or if u have any issues

Tech Wizard

the DN-S3700 can be used in MIDI. I never knew how modifiers worked up until now, wow. thank you!

the CDJ cannot use two different MIDI channels (like with "4-deck" controllers), so this modifier trick would work brilliantly

IF your CDJ's arent midi compatible... theres a way you could swap the deck layers/timecode control from your X1...
    even better if you could share the info here for reference, thank you!

Filterkat

if you wanted to do it without mapping the midi on your CDJ's you would have to unmap a button you arent using on the X1, then map it to switch the deck focus (if i remember correctly), like between A and C and all your settings would have to be deck focused (rather than specific Deck A and C)

then you would have to configure your timecodes in the timecode setup... theres a 4 panel matrix under each timecode... since you only have 2 timecodes... the one with A highlighted... click on C and automatically both A and C should be lit up in that matrix... and the matrix with C in it previously should be empty... do the same with B and D... i used to use this setup with vynil timecodes for 4 deck control with only 2 turntables but found it to be a bit iffy sometimes... sometimes it would play up a bit... and i think there was something else you had to do in order for it to only control the one deck at a time... otherwise you control the 2 decks at the same time... im pretty sure it had something to do with (in the Add In midi page under - Timecode) you had to set another free midi button to "assign deck to scratch control" for vynil mode... or something like that. or for like CDJ mode... i think it was one of the other options in that list... but since your CDJ's emulate vynil... i would reccomend using the first one...

P.S. (with the matrix thing... i forgot to mention you would have to do this also with the midi mode i explained in the other post... but the midi mode is more stable and effective, plus, if you want to go nuts with the layers, you could assign jog wheels to control effects and stuff... like for the ean golden VCI mapping. Think of every modifier as another layer of controls, personally ive got 1 layer standard control, another layer secondary deck control, another layer advanced effects control another layer cue juggle control... the options are limitless... just make sure you dont get lost in layers and write it all down :P )

I cant really help any further as my turntables are locked away in my flightcase and i no longer have any room to set them up to try anything out... so no more timecode for me... but try playing around with all those things... hopefully something will work...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tuchubby View Post
    is there any possible way to switch decks (2 tables, 4 traktor decks) using timecode setup or maybe a hybrid setup (DN-S3700)??

i'm asking because i have two DN-S3700's, one traktor x1, and a DDM4k. i want to control decks C and D with my DN-S3700 instead of my traktor x1. i am using a tsi to control four decks on my x1, so essentially i can use the x1 to control decks c and d. however, i cannot efficiently fine adjust those decks for cueing on the x1. it feels like a burden and the knobs just don't cut it. basically the main decks are on timecode, and the secondary decks are on midi. i'm not going to buy two mroe DN-S3700's and put them all on timecode. there's no space and money for that. i want to note that putting the DN-S3700 in hybrid mode would allow it to be a midi device, all while allowing timecode at the same time (for purposes of using the spinning platter, which traktor has yet to get going vs. SSL).

Did you ever map this out or get it to work with filtercat's suggestion of a modifier/ layer?

I have 2 sc3900's coming and will definitely give this a try.. I believe this will work for all of the midi mapping... though will be a pita to do... not sure about the DVS on switching decks..

Tech Mentor

Tech Mentor

I can tell you how to map this. It realy isn't that hard. Brb

...ok this is from another post I made on multicolored deckswitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    That is exactly what I just did with Traktor using one button and one modifier. (per turntable) It is Easy. It works in the DVS, but I still need visual feedback on the turntables to remember which deck layer it is in. THIS is where the EL-wire comes in. Traktor can send midi out for the modifier state, and El-wire can be hooked up to a sequencer to drive it with a midi command. This is totally feasible right now.

*note: I have TTXs which give me a digital readout of the pitch. Switching between decks might become complicated if your TTs don't provide a digital pitch readout so that you know approximately where to "Reset" the pitchfader while switching between decks. I am currently looking into the option of having a dual strobe system synced with Traktor's "tempo fader" output, or separate program track the rotation speed of the platter and turn on an LED when the platter speed reaches a value corresponding to the midi-output of the "tempo fader" from tractor for the deck you are switching to, but that is a lot more hassle than just remembering that "Deck A is pitched down 3.7%" and replacing the fader in that position.

Step by step for Tractor:

Step One: Go into Audio preferences and set decks C and D to receive the same input as A and B. Now your CV controls decks A/C B/D.

Step Two: Set a global modifier to a button, have the modifier "direct" the value of itself from "0" to "1" on button "press" and set it to "direct" the value from "1" to "2" on the button "invert". Duplicate the controls and reverse the function so that modifier toggles between values "0" and "2" with a "hold state" at value "1"

Step Three: Set the same button to "direct" deck A to "Relative playback" if the modifier value is "0", "internal playback" if the modifier value is "1", and "internal playback" if the modifier value is "2".

Step Four: Set the same button to "direct" deck C to "Relative playback" if the modifier value is "2", "internal playback" if the modifier value is "1", and "internal playback" if the modifier value is "0".

Step Five: Duplicate steps One-Four for decks B/D
    Last edited by Phi; 05-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Default help please

Hi, can you show the screenshots of this, sorry I do not follow it. Aim is to control decks A/C, B/D with 2 CDJs

Default Traktor with 2x CDJs A/C & B/D

Hi, I'm a noob in terms of the mappings. How does this look? can you setup a modifier to switch between A/C on one CDJ and B/D on the second?