Advice for a Scratching Setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Personally I'd stay well away midi controllers to learn how to scratch on, Numark V7's are a whole different story tho, however you'll be locked in to one software only, depends if that's a problem or not.

I reckon a second hand pair of 1210's are a great way to get an instant pro setup, there soooo cheap at the mo! Plus if scratching is all your really interested in, just buy one for the time being and get another later when you fancy learning how to mix. The next problem yet very important is finding a decent scratch mixer.
    Sadly there are many budget mixers labeled as scratch mixers simply because they only have two channels. Stay well clear from budget mixers if you want to take scratching seriously! Even a beginner scratch dj will knacker all the faders in a matter of months as there not made to last. That being said you can drop a Innofade into virtually any budget mixer or pro mixer, plus its a purchase for life so when you upgrade mixers you can fit the Innofade into your new mixer.

I've recently taken a learning dj under my wing and guided him through his recent purchases. I sold him my first 1210's for £250 and I found a Pioneer 707 scratch mixer on Ebay for £140! And the extra bonus is he managed to grab a copy of TSP for the current 50% off price. Now that's a proper pro battle setup for much less than half the retail price.

I'd definitely keep an eye out for a second hand Pioneer 707 scratch mixer as they often come up on Ebay for a fraction of there original retail price. Many of the second hand 707's are owned by mixing dj's who don't put it through as much grief as scratch dj would. They were snubbed by the scratch world, most probably because there made by Pioneer and not Vestex. But there made like tanks with an infer red cross fader that will never wear out. If you haven't guessed by now I've owned a 707 since they first came out six years ago, it's been gigged all round the country and had hardcore practice sessions on it night after night, but it's still performing as if it was only a few months old.

If you buy the right second hand kit, it will look after you and I'd say it's the cheapest way to get a Pro set up. On a side note, I'd stay away from second hand Vestex gear, despite the pro label, in my experience Vestex kit doesn't last as long as Rane or Pioneer.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dubba Dutch View Post

The next problem yet very important is finding a decent scratch mixer.
    Sadly there are many budget mixers labeled as scratch mixers simply because they only have two channels. Stay well clear from budget mixers if you want to take scratching seriously! Even a beginner scratch dj will knacker all the faders in a matter of months as there not made to last.

If you buy the right second hand kit, it will look after you and I'd say it's the cheapest way to get a Pro set up. On a side note, I'd stay away from second hand Vestex gear, despite the pro label, in my experience Vestex kit doesn't last as long as Rane or Pioneer.
    Great points Sir! Do not ever under estimate the value of a rock solid mixer its just as important as a set of good tables. Nowadays there are good alternatives to technics but nothing beats a battle tested mixer, believe that! For me that would be Rane!
    Then upgrading to Time Code(Scratch Live or TraktorScratch Pro) in the future will be easy.

Can't say that I agree with the Vestax comments. I had an 07-ProD for 8'ish years, and it was an amazing mixer. I'm gutted I got rid of it. 05-Pro's are built to last, and you can get 'em on ebay pretty cheap. Stick an Innofader in there and you're laughing.

I think we can all agree that an innofader will turn a crap mixer into a pretty bad-ass piece of scratch kit.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Can't say that I agree with the Vestax comments. I had an 07-ProD for 8'ish years, and it was an amazing mixer.
    To be fair to Vestex my 08 is as solid as anything I've ever owned, I love that mixer, easily the best sounding battle mixer there is(not counting the Rodec Scratchbox, I've never played on it). I missed out on the legend 07 mainly because of my experiences with my ancient 05 and then 06, which to be fair were built at a time when not many mixers were built like tanks. But they are the only mixers I've ever virtually destroyed just through excessive use, a bit like my mark 1 PDX 2000 Turntable and I've even had to open up my VCI to maintain the jogs.

I agree that Vestex do make SOME brilliant rock solid equipment, just like the 08 and latter versions of the 07, where production was moved from China to Japan. There perfectly capable of making quality, but sadly on many occasions they choose not to.

I would say to go for a used pair of 1200's and for a mixer, a djm-400, ttm56, or a vestax 05
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my post long ago. With the advice I got from you guys I decided to go with the Numark NS7. I ordered them on eBay and couldn't wait to tell you guys. But the guy dropped them so he refunded my money. By the time I got my money back something came up so I didn't end up getting my NS7. Finally it looks like I'm going to be able to afford buying something to scratch with. Before I purchase I'm wondering if the NS7 has been surpassed by anything. Would love your opinions.

Thanx again.

the NS7 is still your best route if you go with a controller. That being said I absolutely second that you should look for a used set of 1200's and a djm 707 that's exactly what I spin on and its as solid setup. If you decide it's not for you you can sell them for what you got them for.

The NS7 is really good, but its trying to replicate the 1200/battle mixer setup, get the real thing!

oh and I'm 36 and spin goldenera too btw... check out my soundcloud!

http://soundcloud.com/djjimbrowski

^^^...HEY!....das Spammer just plagerized me!

KILL IT!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I would definitely NOT spend the money on an NS7. You could get an AWESOME TT/Mixer/Controller set up for the same money.

NS7 goes for about £1000. I'd definitely spend £1k on TT's + Mixer + Controller.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I started out with a Numark Mixtrack, it was good for mixing but horrid for scratching. I then moved to an S4 which is a billion times better, but i still missed that "feel". Just recently picked up a used pair of 1210's and i've never been happier. I say two TT's and a controller/mixer man. You wont be disappointed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast