A PC (not mac) that could run TP2.6.8 without problems.?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default A PC (not mac) that could run TP2.6.8 without problems.?

hello every1, i've got a sony vaio vpceb3m1e and it was a pain in the ass the last year. i've optimized to maximum, and even then i had problems.
    i didnt bought this laptop for dj use, and was used because i had this when i made the change from CDs to digital. this laptop wasnt cheap though it had 800euros.
    i made it to work almost bareable, by tricking the registry to disable cpu drivers that use C states, and made my buffer to 256 sample.

now there is a pop that occurs once in 5 gigs that 0.1sec long, that even i didnt figured it the first 2-3 times, then i reallized that sometimes it happens but no big deal since u could not figure it out if u dont know it. also my graphics stuck sometimes only graphics, for a second when scrolling through my playlists or when loading a song.sound keeps playing well.

this machine is fully optimized, and i mean it, so i cannot do something better.
    i cannot trust this machine although now it seems to work. i wanna change to something more reliable.

i first was thinking for a macbook pro 13'' i can manage to find one with 1000-1100euros transported to my area.but then i found out that the new macs have everything glued to the mobo, so if something brakes u need almost a new laptop. even battery replacement its a pain in the ass. then i turned to the latest non retina macbook with almost the same price, but with 3rd generation cpu and 2 years old model. so THANKS APPLE, i really wont preffer you now, unless you make the non retina macbook an update with new cpus or the retina without everything glued to its mobo.

so now i turned to windows machines again.i've checked some models, and i found a lenovo g510 with i5-4200 4gig ram 1600mhz and 1tb disk with intel hd graphics. with 500euros.its gonna be used exclusively for djing so i think its very good machine but i cannot be sure if i am gonna have problems.

is there any specifications that will make me choose without problems? i mean i5 cpu 4rd gen, ? brand name? i've checked some custom daw laptop manufacturers and they use i5-4200 cpu's. so i think this is gonna work. although i am not in hurry i wanna take many opinions before i choose.

please dont start with mac are the best, etc etc. i know they have a very easier configuration so u dont need to do almost nothing to make em work and they glowing apple its "awesome" but i cannot imagine giving 1100 euros for a machine thats its not upgradeable and if i have a hardware failure i gotta get a almost a new one.so no thanks.

Book marking this thread. My VIAO has been playing up lately, and I know it's gonna die.

Also looking for a non-Mac replacement. Maybe even a desktop...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Just dualboot and you're golden
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Just dualboot and you're golden
    dual boot what? i said i will be using the machine only for djing. that means no internet, or maybe very little, and no other programs etc etc... so why dual boot?

ok first things first
    you dont need an HDD thats 1TB
    lets be honest
    if you have THAT much information on the drive, youre going to cry when its lost. Always backup externally anyway
    ALso if this is ONLY going to be used for djing, then you dont need a drive that big anyway.
    Also if you had a 1TB drive and you BARELY filled it, ur going to try just because you have space

4gig ram should be fine
    I have a machine with a Duo core drive and its workin just right with no problems for Traktor and every day use.

Would you belive its a referbished ACER?

This is right in your price range
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...546&CatId=3982

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Tech Guru

I have seen some DJ's use lenovo laptops, they seem like a good option. As others have said you try to pick a computer with a clean install of windows 7 and minimal bloatware.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    ok first things first
    you dont need an HDD thats 1TB
    lets be honest
    if you have THAT much information on the drive, youre going to cry when its lost. Always backup externally anyway
    ALso if this is ONLY going to be used for djing, then you dont need a drive that big anyway.
    Also if you had a 1TB drive and you BARELY filled it, ur going to try just because you have space

4gig ram should be fine
    I have a machine with a Duo core drive and its workin just right with no problems for Traktor and every day use.

Would you belive its a referbished ACER?

This is right in your price range
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...546&CatId=3982
    sure i dont need that much space, i use max 200-300gb. and i always have a backup on my external. but that model came with 1tb disk. also when i get the new machine ill make it at least 8 gb ram and ssd 256 or 512 when it is possible and then ill move the laptops old hdd to my desktop.

the acer u posted has 1,6 ghz Ultramobile processor that means i maybe have problems with cpu throttling and power wont be enought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    Sonys are absolutely terrible for multimedia.

They run so many add on services, and their drivers are unoptomised rubbish.

The way to fix a sony machine:

- Format it.
    - Install Win 7 from a windows disc, do not install the Sony factory image.
    - Install the basic drivers for video and soundcard. If you can get the manufacturers OEM drivers, use those over the Sony drivers.
    - Download and run DPC Latency Checker. This will show you if you have system services that are interrupting your real time audio stream.
    - After this you can try disabling services with the various DJ batch scripts.

It should run ok after this. Its why I never recommend Sonys to anyone doing audio. The base hardware is ok, but the factory installs are worse than terrible.
    i am a computer technician and a novice programmer, i've optimized my windows to stop unnecessary programs and routines running, i've also uninstalled all sony bloatware. still i was thinking about making a fresh windows 7 install from my desktop's win 7 ultimate.

i dont need any script to optimize my laptop, i can do it manually, in fact it is already done.

i will try formating when i find some time. for sure. but the drivers that are posted on sony's site for my model are from intel etc. only some are from sony, e.g. vaio power management etc.. that i've removed it. they customize even intels drivers?

i've used dpc latency and its all fine, but latency mon is a better option cause u get in depth analysis. i found many problems using latency mon that didnt saw with dpc. my latency is almost 100μs max... so its definetly not that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I have seen some DJ's use lenovo laptops, they seem like a good option. As others have said you try to pick a computer with a clean install of windows 7 and minimal bloatware.
    bloatware are removed... but still, its the win7 version that comes bundled.

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by feedbackl00p View Post
    Then it's something else. What soundcard are you using?

20 years of PC support myself.
    services.txtstartup programs.txtRunning Tasks.txt
    here are the running tasks,services,and startup programs running on my dj laptop.
    i am using ddj t1 controller with build in audio card. and a usb 2.0 certified cable.
    besides that ddj t1 is always on a wall plug using its external power supply and not usb power.
    Last edited by DjGeorgio; 06-12-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast