APC40 Button Lights

Default APC40 Button Lights

Hey guys, I have an APC40 and i was wondering how i can map the grid buttons to light up when i use them. for instance i want to have my cue markers mapped to them and i want the cue that i am using to be a different color than the rest of the buttons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you have a TSI file of your mapping that you want to put up that would be fantastic as well.

Thank,

Avery

Tech Wizard

Is the APC40 a MIDI device? Since it's designed to only communicate with Ableton, I wonder what the protocol they used was. If it's all MIDI (you mentioned you had the buttons mapped to cue points), then you might have to just try sending it MIDI messages until one of them sticks.

The thing is, the MIDI protocol doesn't have an LED specification, it was designed around keyboards. So what a lot of people do (like the Midi Fighter, for instance) is map the MIDI in on a specific note to correspond to lighting up an LED. However, it could be done any of a thousand different ways, each as much of a hack as the last. They might use MIDI system messages (I forgot the codes) but they basically tell the device: "hey, I'm giving you data now, you should know what to do with these bytes". You see this a lot on old synths you could program before you had PCs that would do it all for you with a nice GUI. Like I said, there's a ton of ways controlling LEDs gets hacked in there, if the device is using all MIDI. It might be using MIDI for certain things and some proprietary protocol for everything else, at which point it's an entirely different ballgame.

So that's a really long way of not providing any help my advice would be to find if anyone does have a way to control the LEDs and try to copy it appropriately.

Can you even send something for the currently active cue point?

hehe, good luck trying every midi note until you find your LED, there are like 127 notes, 500 odd CCs and all that x16 channels. I suggest you search google and this forum for a map of the LED notes, you'll save yourself about 6 years of frustration.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES