Macbook Pro SSD/HDD upgrade AND optibay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Macbook Pro SSD/HDD upgrade AND optibay

I don't think this is quite OT, since I consider my MBP to be part of my DJ gear and I'm thinking about modding it! I have a mid 2009 13" MBP unibody with a 250GB HDD.

Does anyone have experience of swapping out the HDD for an SSD? I'm sure I could handle the installation, but I'd like to hear from others who have done it; How did you move your data across? Are there any software licence issues which arise? which drive did you use? What capacity? Has it made a big difference?

Also, has anyone used the Optibay system to install a second HDD instead of the standard superdrive? I really don't use mine very often and I'm sure i could handle using an external when the time came.

Sorry I've asked SO many questions, don't feel you have to answer every one!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

I haven't installed an SSD yet, but I have upgraded my hard drive a couple of times. So an SSD shouldn't be any different.

The basic instructions are;

1. Put your new drive in a USB or firewire enclosure. Then clone your current drive to this new drive. A lot of people recommend you use a free app called Carbon copy cloner, but I just tend to use Apple's disk utility following the attached instructions.

2. Remove the underside of your MacBook. There's some useful instructions on apples website about this, as you're supposed to remove the screws in a specific order;

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._Drive_DIY.pdf

3. Remove old hard drive, & replace with new hard drive.

4. Re-assemble.

5. Re-start your machine. It should appear to be identical to how it was before. ....but with your new drive instead of the old one.

...& that's all there is to it!
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

And there are no issues with software licences? That's awesome! I read that you don't even have to clone the drive first, you can just use time machine and restore from your backup to the new drive. Has anyone done that?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

that will work as well, but restoring from a time machine back up may take longer.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Not an SSD, but the steps are the same.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ght=hard+drive
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I have installed an Optibay, into my 15" MBP, it was the best thing I ever did. But removing out your optical drive will void your warranty. I did it to mine since I didnt have a warranty because I bought the machine used. It nice having the extra storage. You just need to buy an external optical drive, which could be a hassle if you forgot it at home when you needed it.

it is still under warranty, but I currently have less than 4GB free on my HDD and I'm buying new music all the time!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Got any mixes you've downloaded from Soundcloud? I cleared 6 months worth out this morning and reclaimed 20 gigs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    it is still under warranty, but I currently have less than 4GB free on my HDD and I'm buying new music all the time!
    I suggest buying a bigger drive, copy everything over and get a external drive to keep less important misc files on.

IMO, dont go bigger than 500Mb, I have had bad experiences with larger drives internally, but also there's only so many gigs you can fit on to tiny 2.5 hard drive platters. And also, dont get caught up in the hype about 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm especially for 2.5" drives, I have have 7200 rpm drives fail faster and the speed wasnt any different. What you need to do is max out your ram for faster smoother system.

I currently have a 13" MBP with 500Gb drive and roughly about 200 of that is just music, but I also have my other mac to keep other files such as older photos and such. And I have a few external drives for more file management.

This has been really interesting, as i'm in the same boat. I was going to get a 1TB 5400 drive for my mid 2010 MBP, only problem is they are 12.5mm height - i have heard some people have fitted them in fine and others warn against it.

So i think i'm going to go with a 750gb 7200 drive.

However, i also looked at SSD, but i think i'm not going to get one purely because if HDD's were a problem for people when they DJ then i think we would have seen a lot of posts on various forums saying 'vibrations make the drive crash' etc etc, but i have hardly seen anyone say that.

I would get a SSD, it's obvious they're better, but the price for a 750gb SSD is rediculous.

What i would like to know, and forgive my lame questions, are -

when you guys talk about replacing the optical drive for a 2nd hard drive, do you mean replacing the cd/dvd drive for a hard drive? Is that what the dvd/cd drive on the MBP is called, an opti drive?

And, if i did do this, would it be ok to keep all your music on the HDD but install traktor on the SSD? ( i would have thought the music files and traktor would have to be kept on the SSD)

Thanks for any help and advice, i've just got my MBP 15", i5, 500gb, mid 2010 model, and i just want to get it to the best/reliable setup that i can get it.

Thanks

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast