Help me discover some new music...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Help me discover some new music...

Hi there,

I've been reading this page for about a month or so, but this is my pretty much my first post. First off I wanted to say that I'm super impressed by the community here. This has to be one of the most civil and helpful forums that I've ever visited, and was one of the main influences that pushed me to takes the plunge and pickup a second hand VCI-100 and a firebox.

As I've started to play around with DJing I've realized that I although I still listen to music and go out dancing that I'm not really as tuned into it as I used to be back when I would have called myself a raver (almost 10 years ago now). In some ways not all that much is different, I still love to dance the night away, preferably at someplace that isn't a bar and doesn't close at 2:00 am, on the other hand my pants are a lot smaller and I haven't held a glow stick in years

One thing that is different is that I don't have much of a collection of sets or a good grasp on the names of DJs or producers who are playing the type of music I want to hear. I still recognize music that really makes me want to get up and groove when I hear it, but I guess I haven't been paying as much attention to the names attached to it, or seeking it out the same way I once did.

So basically, I'm looking for suggestions and I'd love to hear about any DJs, producers or sets that you particularly love. When I first came into the scene my first love was trance, but over time it seemed to get cheesier and cheesier and ended up all sounding the same. I still love a good trance or progressive set but it definitely has to have some edge and grit to keep me interested. These days breaks are probably my true love. To be more specific I'd say slamming, techy breaks that are still funky and have some melody and progression. Throw in some conscious hip-hop influences and a little bit of glitchiness and I'm really in heaven. I'm not sure what genre I'd call that though . I'm also pretty into electro that has good builds an progressions. Or for that matter, drum n' base and jungle that's not super dark and heavy and still has some melody.

Sorry for the length of this post but I figure I might get better suggestions if I gave you a good idea of my musical history.

Many thanks in advance!

ps I haven't really caught on to the music blog thing yet, but if you can think of any music blogs that I might want to check out based on what I described or that focus on conscious/underground hip-hop I'd love to hear about those too!

have you tried signing up for lastfm or something similar and then doing a search for familiar artists and songs you like and then letting it find artists and songs that are related to the music you like? I love my lastfm account for this purpose.

good luck.

SPOR
    NOISIA
    THE UPBEATS
    Super dark, heavy AND melodic
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Check out
    TIPPER
    and also
    THE PHAT CONDUCTOR
    for some glitchtastic breakbeat action

Treasure Fingers.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Tech Wizard

The only blogs I could recommend are the popular indie hipster ones like Bigstereo, Discodust, Palms Out, and Missingtoof.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    SPOR
    NOISIA
    THE UPBEATS
    Super dark, heavy AND melodic
    + 1 they all rock

Some more dnb goodness along the same sorta line:

Chase & Status
    Calyx & Teebee
    Shimon & Sparfunk
    Total Science
    Black Sun Empire
    Evol Intent

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks. I'll plug them into google and see what I start turning up. I'm just beginning to realize that if I'm really going to do this (learn to DJ) properly I'm going to have to start listening to a whole bunch more music... and start listening in a slightly different way as well.

Since you mentioned a previous interest in trance and progressive i'm going to suggest listening to some Armin van Buuren (will possibly bore you a bit but he's done some fucking awesome stuff)

the likes of Aly & Fila, Sean Tyas and Eddie Halliwell do some pretty punchy upbeat trance that will probably get you going. You can also find some of this in decent A State of Trance episodes by Armin.

Tech Mentor

trolling for lulz (seriously!):

myspace.com/trollingforlulz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast