Wow, what a night!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    You will find many people out there who are very close minded on this topic. Do you know why? Almost all of them have never tried Traktor and are unwilling to. It is the same phenomenon when old people still use their old cell phones and say they are the best because they are unable to work the latest and greatest cell phones. For me, one cannot have the word to say that statement unless he/she has used each software enough to actually state their logical reasons. I have used Torq, Traktor, SSL, Itch, Virtual DJ all pretty intensely and they all have their bonuses/weakness. But to say one is far superior and others are for kids, is very close minded.
    Having owned and used Torq, Traktor, FS2, SSL, and Ableton Live…I mostly agree with you. I didn't like Torq at all, and it felt like a toy. Traktor felt like a toy until very recently. And FS2 would have been absolute garbage except for two facts. 1) it was just a DVS and when used as simply as possible was ok until they dropped support, and 2) I'm still using the sound card as a general audio interface…it sounds great.

I'm actually amazed that I'm considering buying an NI product whenever I have money for it. I was one of the ones burned by the FS -> TS switchover, because I had it on decent authority from an NI insider that they'd keep the same sound card and we'd get a discounted upgrade. They didn't. We didn't. It kinda pissed me off. It's been a few years, and I'm over it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    If you've ever come out of a rave to witness mashed up people setting off car alarms simply so they can dance to them, then you'll know that in certain conditions, people will love anything. This also explains minimal techno*

*I quite like some minimal techno. It was just an easy target for a cheap joke

Hillarious

I am slightly concerned by drugs + music. I'm afraid that if I judge how well I'm playing by the crowd's response, then I will have an inflated sense of accomplishment considering they're trashed into the 4th dimension.

I mean, if I suck but I'm playing to packed stadiums, does it even matter?

Also, dubstep?
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    I'm afraid that if I judge how well I'm playing by the crowd's response, then I will have an inflated sense of accomplishment considering they're trashed into the 4th dimension.
    Isn't that the whole point - people enjoying themselves - good dj...
    SC | MC

so you would be ok with performing by beating a dead squirrel against an empty saucepan if it made the crowd go nuts because they were so far gone nothing else mattered?

for me, its a balance of course, but id rather have someone appreciate the music because what i was doing was technically sound and thoughtful, not just because they were pumped so full of a brain-altering chemical that it didnt matter who was playing, or what they were playing.

personal pref, and while yeah its for the fans, its more for my love of music and the vibe from those who are enjoying my selection or creation...

I remember being quite drunk while spinning at a house party, and some people being on X. It all sounded awesome, and people loved it, next morning I found out it really sucked.

@natebehe
    If I share my crappy set, will you share yours?
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

Tech Wizard

i have tons of drunk crappy sets i can share

so you would be ok with performing by beating a dead squirrel against an empty saucepan if it made the crowd go nuts because they were so far gone nothing else mattered?
    That sounds like a night I had in the Greenfields at Glastonbury...

its more for my love of music and the vibe from those who are enjoying my selection or creation...
    The op was about technical skills when your trashed and I say as long as people enjoy it who cares
    SC | MC

yeah, we got kinda off topic, but i see a relationship between the two (even in myself) so im keeping them mutually exclusive

edit: got a vid from the Squirrel N Bass set? :P

Think I used to hear the squirrel and saucepan tune down Fabric on a Saturday night
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast