USB Footswitch Shift Modifier
    Tech Wizard

Default USB Footswitch Shift Modifier

I've been looking to add a single USB footswitch to my set-up. I had a Behringer FCB1010 which, although fully-featured, was too big and complex for my need. I sold it on eBay.

My intention was to use the footswitch as a shift modifier for a newly-acquired Kontrol S4. However, I need to be certain that I can use the switch input as a modifier for another Traktor controller (S4/Midi Fighter). From what I can tell, it may not be possible to pass modifier states across devices. If the S4 footswitch connection is hardwired to the loop recorder, what other options do I have? Would Bome's Midi Translator be any good for this?

Also, why are simple USB footswitches so hard to come by? Surely there's a market for quiet, pedal-style devices using USB (or better still Bluetooth). Damn!

The footswitch for the S4 is not USB. It uses 1/4" RS. This is also true for midi keyboards like the Oxygen 8 that Ean used, and He also used a foot pedal as a modifier.

For the switch to act as a modifier with the S4, you would need to make your own midi mapping, and you wouldn't really need Bomes for this, although you could do some really cool things with Bomes.

Pretty sure you can't use it as a modifier for a different controller (one other than the one its plugged in to).

A usb pedal would have to be it's own device in the controller manager. So you can map it to controll what ever midi command you want, but not as a modifier for another controller. That is unless the controller takes the pedal's input and sends it to the computer as a midi note from that same controller. Because it would be it's own device and only controll one parameter (if it is a simple one button or rocker style pedal), is the reason you see so many complex pedals instead.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 04-05-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You want this

And I think you actually can use it to control the modifiers for other controllers if you combine all controllers into one TSI. So if you set your TSI to accept all ins and make sure there are no command overlaps you'd have one huge TSI, but the modifiers would work.

And yes, you could DEFINITELY use it in Bomes, but it makes it more complicated JUST accepting that command and no others from the S4.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ah true, forgot about the all ports option. Thanks for the correction.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the help, guys! It's all making sense now. My S4 won't be with me for a couple of days so this may be a stupid question but ... in native mode does an S4 have a TSI? If not, would that mean sacrificing hi-res controls for the sake of the USB footswitch?

The native mapping for the S4 is the NHL (HID)(hi-res) mapping. When you change to midi mapping then you do lose that.

Tech Wizard

Not having used NHL, I'm not sure it's worth giving up yet. Is it noticeably smoother than MIDI mode? Also, if I left the S4 in native mode, would I be able to use the footswitch with a MIDI Fighter by setting the respective TSI for each of them to the same port?

Tech Wizard

Have you not seen the KMM Softstep ?

Quote Originally Posted by l0rdr0ck View Post
    Have you not seen the KMM Softstep ?
    Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    I had a Behringer FCB1010 which, although fully-featured, was too big and complex for my need.
    I'm pretty sure the softstep would also be too complicated, although it is awesome!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I originally looked at the SoftStep when considering the FCB1010 but I didn't need the functionality. In a way, I think it tries to do too much. My main concern was that I would have to keep looking down to get the best out of it.

I'm amazed that there aren't more suitable options when it comes to simple USB foot switches. I've looked at quite a few devices but there was always a drawback somewhere.

I was about to settle on one from Scythe (http://goo.gl/tXsqT) until I checked a video of it in action and heard the thing. Sounds like a staple gun. Tack tack! All the other possibilities were either flimsy or cost an arm and a leg.

I even looked for wireless alternatives. In fact, I came across a Bluetooth adapter which looked the business (www.airturn.com) but, sadly, it was hardwired to Page Up & Down which would conflict with basic keyboard control. Oh, well, the search continues.