"Airplane" keyboard advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Airplane" keyboard advice

Hi all,

I'm flying a lot and would like to buy a mini keyboard for making music on the plane/at the airport/on the road.

Pitchbend would be nice, but only if it's usable.

There are a lot of small laptop-sized keyboards, but probably most of them are toys. I'm looking for something really usable. I'm not interested in the best brand, or something that will satisfy my gearlust.

Any advice?
    Last edited by boarderbas; 10-29-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Akai LPK25

or the Akai MPK Mini, which is basically the same but also has velocity sensitive pads.

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Thanks. I know this keyboard (as I know M-audio, Icon, Korg, Omnironic, ION, CME, Alesis etc.). How does it compare?

I'm now doubting between:

Icon i-key:
    Modulation and pitch controll.

Akai
    The sure bet for build quality.

M-audio keystation 32
    Nice one, but may be just too big.

Omnitronic
    Like above, but chunckyer and shorter. Looks cheap.
    Last edited by boarderbas; 10-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

The M-Audio Axiom AIR mini is nice - M-Audio's new owners put a lot of effort into making it sturdier than the last generation, which would break at the drop of a hat, and I find it to be really nice to play, as opposed to toy-like like some others.

The MiniNova is relatively small, if you would like a really nice instrument. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    The M-Audio Axiom AIR mini is nice - M-Audio's new owners put a lot of effort into making it sturdier than the last generation, which would break at the drop of a hat, and I find it to be really nice to play, as opposed to toy-like like some others.

I'd bet on it being one of the best, but M-Audio's cheap keyboard still felt like cheap keyboards unless they drastically changed it for this one. It also seems pretty freaking huge for use on a plane.

Honestly, I've used (or owned) several of those small keyboards……and they're all really disappointing.

As much as i prefer the big one, the Maschine Micro is the most impressive small controller, but getting a "keyboard" out of it kind of depends on actually using the Maschine software. When you do, using it is kind of like using a 4-string guitar with a weird tuning (E Bb C E) and your hand coming from the wrong side. But it's playable. You can also build MIDI Out groups so that the pads just contain scale notes (for arbitrary scales), which make it easier to decide on a scale and then wank on it with less of a chance of playing a wrong note.

If I were working on planes and didn't want to use my computer keyboard to input notes, that's probably what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

I'd bet on it being one of the best, but M-Audio's cheap keyboard still felt like cheap keyboards unless they drastically changed it for this one. It also seems pretty freaking huge for use on a plane.
    Mos, they pretty seriously changed it up. They gave the Axiom a spine (literally). I really, really hated Avid's M-Audio, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Honestly, I've used (or owned) several of those small keyboards……and they're all really disappointing.

As much as i prefer the big one, the Maschine Micro is the most impressive small controller, but getting a "keyboard" out of it kind of depends on actually using the Maschine software. When you do, using it is kind of like using a 4-string guitar with a weird tuning (E Bb C E) and your hand coming from the wrong side. But it's playable. You can also build MIDI Out groups so that the pads just contain scale notes (for arbitrary scales), which make it easier to decide on a scale and then wank on it with less of a chance of playing a wrong note.

If I were working on planes and didn't want to use my computer keyboard to input notes, that's probably what I'd do.
    You have got to try the new Ableton script. It allows you to input notes with chromatic tuning (as you described) or in any mode (Dorian, Locrian, etc) on any root note. On the mkii, it shows you the scales on the pad colours, via individual notes or intervals, just like Push is supposed to.

If he's got his laptop, is the mkii really that big? The Axiom Air isn't much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    You have got to try the new Ableton script. It allows you to input notes with chromatic tuning (as you described) or in any mode (Dorian, Locrian, etc) on any root note. On the mkii, it shows you the scales on the pad colours, via individual notes or intervals, just like Push is supposed to.
    I would, except that I much prefer Maschine + PT to Live. And I've already got MIDI Out groups set up for the scales I'd actually use.

Has anyone used the Korg Nanokey2?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

In guitar center……for just long enough to realize that I hated it.

What do you prefer?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast