MIDI for both DJ-ing and Producing - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Hey guys,

after using keyboard and mouse only for quite some years, I was looking out for a controller to aid me with my production and DJ endavours within Ableton Live.

I started of by looking into options like the M-Audio X Session Pro and through some other controllers I will not mention here, I ended up looking at the Behringer BCR-2000 as a start up controller.

It has knobs, rotaries lots of 'em, and also some buttons.

Might look like a sound case, or maybe even an insane one, but I still want to see if some other options are still feasible.
    I chose this one, being that it is not the most expensive controller to start with.
    Who knows, if I might like the feel of MIDI controllers I might go check out more expensive controllers.

Concluding, is this a nice controller to start out with, or can you recommend me something else?

Cheers,

tekki.
    For the money it seems like it offers plenty of options. Could have 4 band low, mid, and high EQ's for left and right decks. 8 different effects controlled via rotary knobs. 4 cues and 4 cue sets for left and right decks. Transpose for left and right as well as fade transition for left and right decks. Even with all that should still have 10 more buttons to assign. I payed $50 more and get a Axiom 25 personally if I was just starting off especially for dual purpose DJ-ing and Producing since it's got pads/keys/knobs/buttons so it's suited for a variety of purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wright View Post
    For the money it seems like it offers plenty of options. Could have 4 band low, mid, and high EQ's for left and right decks. 8 different effects controlled via rotary knobs. 4 cues and 4 cue sets for left and right decks. Transpose for left and right as well as fade transition for left and right decks. Even with all that should still have 10 more buttons to assign. I payed $50 more and get a Axiom 25 personally if I was just starting off especially for dual purpose DJ-ing and Producing since it's got pads/keys/knobs/buttons so it's suited for a variety of purposes.
    Axiom 25 seems nice, but I do not need the keys, as that I just use ableton/keyboard combo for that, not too sure if I would use these for DJ-ing?

10 more buttons, you're probably right. At one point I might even start off adding faders, x-fader and a few extra buttons to the interface.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

The Bitstream 3x controller has eight "channel strips" with a fader & 4 knobs each, plus a crossfader, standard cue/pause controls, assignable buttons, a joystick, a ribbon controller, setup snapshots, MIDI macros, two MIDI outs, and more. It's so configurable it's intimidating (to someone like me, anyhow), and it's built like a tank. The down side is that the manuals (yeah, there are two) are terrible.

Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    The Bitstream 3x controller has eight "channel strips" with a fader & 4 knobs each, plus a crossfader, standard cue/pause controls, assignable buttons, a joystick, a ribbon controller, setup snapshots, MIDI macros, two MIDI outs, and more. It's so configurable it's intimidating (to someone like me, anyhow), and it's built like a tank. The down side is that the manuals (yeah, there are two) are terrible.

Have been looking into that one, and it indeed looks amazing. Downside was, that I could not find a dealer at which I could try a hands on.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

They're hard to find, for some reason. I read reviews and took my chances on one from a craigslist ad for $250-- a great deal. Haven't regretted it, but everyone's needs and preferences are different. As a Traktor 3, Ableton, & Reason controller it's the bomb.

If you order one from musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater, American Music Supply, etc., you can always return it if you don't like it. Their return policies are great. My experiences with AMS have been terrific.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    They're hard to find, for some reason. I read reviews and took my chances on one from a craigslist ad for $250-- a great deal. Haven't regretted it, but everyone's needs and preferences are different. As a Traktor 3, Ableton, & Reason controller it's the bomb.

If you order one from musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater, American Music Supply, etc., you can always return it if you don't like it. Their return policies are great. My experiences with AMS have been terrific.
    Dunno for sure, but I have checked with American Music Supply and a few others and they don't seem to ship to the Netherlands, or any other country in Europe if I am correct.

There's also Evolution UC33e MIDI Control Surface which is similar to the bitstream, but I'd probably stick with the BCR2000 it's defiantly the best bang for your buck I think at least for what it sounds like your looking for. MPD32 looks nice, but is $300 and sounds like your more of a knob fiddler.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wright View Post
    There's also Evolution UC33e MIDI Control Surface which is similar to the bitstream, but I'd probably stick with the BCR2000 it's defiantly the best bang for your buck I think at least for what it sounds like your looking for. MPD32 looks nice, but is $300 and sounds like your more of a knob fiddler.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E
    Uhuhuhuhuh, you said knob fiddler.

Sorry just couldn't resist it.

UC33 looks really nice, and I have thought about it. But I am missing something in the look and feel departement.

The MPD 32 is also a nice controller. But I indeed isn't a thing I would be interested in. (Or other Triggerfinger ringers. )

If I am honest, I am looking for something like the codanova controller but I first want to try if I like being a MIDI dj by using something like the BCR2000.
    For me this one would be perfect if 8 faders and or even just a single crossfader were added to the BCR2000

Maybe a nice project for the near future. (Adding a simple crossfader, and or just 8 faders instead of a few rotaries. )
    Last edited by tekki; 04-09-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123