* Build Log * DIY Controllers (gamepad PCB) - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thanks everyone!

The switches are not so hard to get to! They will be used as a modifier for the faders I think.
    Why buy something, when you can build it yourself for the double cost?

Check my project! DIY DJ Controller (gamepad PCB)
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18627

Looking awesome! Cant wait for the Traktor video.

(Greetings from a fellow Stockholmer)

Tech Mentor

hey oskars mind if I ask some questions? I wanna make a midi controller and I was wondering where you got your stuff for the case (spacers and all that). Also what is the max buttons and faders i could get from a game pad? Also did you have to program anything or does it just recognize as a usb controller and you just map it in traktor?

I will drop a clue:

HID - Midi converter... just SEARCH for it

Tech Mentor

actually I have searched a lot of it but somethings I find myself in loops. whats wrong with asking someone who has a similar layout to what you want? Isn't this a community and a build log so people can re create their own version? thanks for the tip but that was hardly any help to what i asked and somewhat rude for no reason

I'll help you out man. On the controller i posted on your other post(the one that looks like a PS2 controller), you can have up to 4 faders and 16 buttons. For the HID to Midi conversion, there are several software options but i know that glovepie is pretty popular. The conversion wouldn't be necessary if you didn't need the faders, because buttons can be mapped to key presses, however a fader uses a slightly more complex signal so a converter software is needed.

Hope this helps.

Tech Mentor

Yea dude thanks, the faders would be solder to the analog stick on the game pad right? now all i need to know is where to get these acrylics. cant find any on the web!

I would recommend going to a diy-store (Target-Market?) or something like this. There you will get acrylics. But for a beginner it could be helpful to search for leftovers or defective goods at Ebay. With this packages you can experience working with such material. We have a few companies (Germany) which sell cartons full of acrylic pieces for a few bucks at ebay for diy projects.

for example: http://cgi.ebay.de/Plexiglas-Lexan-B...item230b9acca7

are u in the states? can u walk?

24x48 inch sheet is like $20 at homedepo
    Last edited by xsmooth69x; 11-15-2010 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalManipulation View Post
    hey oskars mind if I ask some questions? I wanna make a midi controller and I was wondering where you got your stuff for the case (spacers and all that). Also what is the max buttons and faders i could get from a game pad? Also did you have to program anything or does it just recognize as a usb controller and you just map it in traktor?
    im pretty sure u can find everything at homedepo other than the electronics.....

get a cheap ebay usb gamepad

20 buttons and 4 fadders or 4 knobs or any of that combination equaling to 4

i can only figure out 16 buttons as of now but from what i understand
    up-right
    up-left
    down-right
    down-left
    are the other 4 "buttons" u can set. but this is like a shift function

u have to old down ur up button u have assaigned while u press the right or left etc

so u will have 16 physical buttons but 20 functions....... (i think) please correct me if im wrong

im still learning this too and building up funds to do a picture walkthrough build.

for keyboard mapping u will only need xpadder. the older versions of xpadder is free. or you can just buy it. its totally worth it. in xpadder ull choose a skin that comes with the program that looks like the gamepad u own and its stupid easy to assign buttons. after thats assigned go into traktor into keyboard mapping and ur gold

keyboad mapping dosnt let u use the full functionality of the faders or knobs. its either on off kind of an idea with the keyboard mapping. u wont get the accurate control of the faders or knobs

then if u wanted to use the knobs and faders properly ull have to convert the hid (human interface device, how windows picks up the gamepad) to midi like stated above glovpie is popular havent had the time to play around with it but it sounds and looks promising.
    Last edited by xsmooth69x; 11-15-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast