Ableton Mapping help needed!

Default Ableton Mapping help needed!

Hey guys!

So, I'm neeeew to ableton, but decided to start using it for production mainly.
    I've been doing some searches around on different forums, but couldn't find answers to what I'm looking for:

Ok, so I've got a nanoKontrol, and I want it to control volumefaders, solo and mute, which obviously isn't a problem, since this can be achieved just by using abletons basic midimapping options.

My problem is, that I also want the nanoKontrol to control parameters on whichever device or instrument I have selected. I'm aware that this can be achieved using the User Remote Scripts, but to my knowledge this method can only help me control 8 parameters, and I don't know how to control WHICH parameters is to me controlled.
    SO, what I would really like to do, is to be able to control 16 or even more macro controls with the NanoKontrol, AND I would like to be able to choose which parameters to control - while still ONLY affecting the device/instrument selected/highlighted.

Oh, and also, is it possible to map a shift button in ableton? and if yes, how?

I'm aware that some of my problems could be solved by using Bomes or similar products, (even though I don't have any experience with these programs), but I don't wanna use further money on software.

Hope you can help me!

Tech Mentor

If you want to chose which parameter you will have to rack your device and map them using the macros, this then selects the 8 you want...

A shift button is not a feature of ableton....

You're really looking for advanced mapping that's only possible with bomes or similar, or alternatively check out max4live which does exactly as you ask...

Cheers
    D

Tech Wizard

It's fairly easy to do what you want to do. In order to select different devices, you can hard-map those selections to midi buttons, and the nanokontrol has 20 buttons other than the transport control. You can use the instructions here to set up the nanokontrol to automatically map to your 8 paramters . The script uses the buttons on the nanokontrol for different functions so you might want to just map the selection buttons to another controller or your computer keyboard. To set that up, hit ctrl+K (cmd+k on mac) and select the device to control, then hit a key to map it. Get out of mapping mode with ctrl+k again, and hitting that button should map itself to your nanokontrol.

[edit] just re-read the post and you say you want to control 16 instant mappings at a time, ableton only allows banks of 8 controls to be instant mapped. But you could map the 8 faders to your most used effects, and have the 8 knobs be auto-mapped, in mode 3, then in mode 4 have another 16 knobs mapped. There is a way to set up a 'lock' button so that you can select 8 knobs with your keys, lock it, then select another one and lock it to your second 8 controls on the nanokontrol. But that would require some script hacking, see here: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/0...eries-control/
    Last edited by nukage; 07-20-2011 at 09:40 AM.