MIDI mapping EQ kills in TSP

Default MIDI mapping EQ kills in TSP

I was wondering if anyone knows how to map a functional EQ kill at the bottom of an X1 knob, or preferably, a SCS.3m fader. This would help me out more than you could imagine.

I'm still amazed that TSP doesn't have an EQ setting that fully kills... that's just bad implementation.

My situation is that I would prefer to have a mapping for my SCS.3 system, but I'm competent enough to tweak what would work on an X1 knob to work for a SCS.3 fader, there shouldn't be much of a difference since a knob is like a fader that is curled up.

I've been told to get someone with BMT to author a SCS.3 preset with a new midi note at the bottom of my fader, but no one on the BMT forum has responded, so I don't have anywhere to get that done. =(

Again, I'm sorry to beg for help, I just really need my EQ to fully kill at the bottom.

That's an interesting point. I'd like that on my VCI!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by Cardell View Post
    I figured out a work around for you, since I'm a midi wizard lol.
    This is assuming you will do this for a knob, a linear fader is electrically identical and should work the same. If you want to to this with an encoder I'd have to take another look at it.

You will need to map 4 commands for each eq knob (including eq itself). The other three consist of dual kill switches and a modifier.
    The first kill set to Button - Toggle and invert option selected. Also this must be activated by a modifier, perhaps preferably by a high value (7) worked the best for me.
    The second kill switch will have to be set to Button - Hold without invert. No modifier.
    The modifier is the important part. It has to be set to Fader/Knob - Relative, and under Rotary Encoders it has to be set at Invert, and acceleration has to be set at 100%, sensitivity at 20%. These two may have to be varied because all knobs are equal, but some are more equal than others you know.

Sadly this method takes up a whole modifier per eq, but it's likely you'd be able to do this for two decks and still have two free modifier banks left.
    Thanks for the help, but this is the mapping I was using already, it is close to functional, but only works when bringing the EQ down. When the EQ is at 0% it does turn on the EQ kill only at -100% but then if you try to bring the EQ back up to 0% the kill doesn't disengage. I'm assuming I'll need another modifier to accomplish that, but as you pointed out, this takes 6 out of 8 mods to accomplish already so..... I'm screwed, *grumble grumble grumble*

Sorry I took so long to get back but I've purchased the TSP2 upgrade and have been playing with that. I'm very thankful that I can now push decks C and D through my Nuo's third channel with one cable, and have another channel on the Audio 8 for Send FX (or loop recorder) that is very cool! ... makes me think about using the open channel for the loop recorder and getting a kaoss pad for the send/return... hmmmmmm *daydreaming*

However, in TSP2 the "EQ kills" STILL only actually fully "kill" if you are using the "classic" mixing style, how sad that they would basically force us to use "classic" if we need full EQ kills... Does anyone think they might work that out in another update? (probably not but I'm hoping) and I'm REALLY hoping that they eventually give us an internal mixing style with full automatic kills, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, I really need this fully killing EQ thing to work... any other suggestions???

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Are you sure you have it set to hold in the correct places? If it stays on it may not be correct. Just a thought.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I GOT IT!!!

actually kinda simple if you figure out how the modifiers and button mappings work, Lol!

As above, map the EQ to the fader/knob, then map two EQ kills to the same fader/knob, but NOW make each of the EQ kills set to "Button>Direct" with one for on (1) and one for off (0) and have these triggered by two different modifier values that are consecutive and at the end of the scale i.e. EQ Kill "on" initiates at modifier value 7 and EQ Kill "off" initiates at modifier value 6. Then map a modifier to the fader/knob as "Fader/Knob>Relative" with a sensitivity around 15% and 0% acceleration. You might need to tweak the sensitivity a little for your controller, but this works for me on my Stanton SCS.3m

It still doesn't sound very smooth if you bring it down slowly because as you fade the "volume" down it just cuts all audio at -100% (EQ) but it is definitely the automatically fully killing EQ that I have been trying to map for two months! YAY!

congrats
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES