Harmonic Mixing - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Mixing

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    IDD.. When it comes out that is.

(Still think it's an April's fool hoax. )

lol, i agree that there are some elements that i am going to have to see to believe. I personally cant wait to see what it comes out with when i throw a complex dnb bassline with a wobbly pitch, lots of frequency cuttoff automation and a break going over the top at it :eek: That will put it to its test

I know key detection software does not do too well with these kinds of tracks
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-26-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    lol, i agree that there are some elements that i am going to have to see to believe. I personally cant wait to see what it comes out with when i throw a complex dnb bassline with a wobbly pitch, lots of frequency cuttoff automation and a break going over the top at it :eek: That will put it to its test

I know key detection software does not do too well with these kinds of tracks
    Just hand me a QuadFrohmage plugin and I will transform that into something that really will never be recognized.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Bento, I just started messing around with rapid evolution. Is there a way to have it detect the key for a directory instead of manually doing a file at a time? l can get a printout from MixMeister, but i want something that will write it to the track.

Actually, it looks like MixMeister will write it to the track, but for some reason it wont show up in Traktor unless i add it in MM before i add it in traktor.. the songs that i already added to my collection in traktor dont show a key, but the ones that i havent played in traktor, yet, but I just added in MM do show a key..
    does that make sense/.
    any ideas?

Thats probably because Traktor is storing the tracks information in a database instead of having to rescan each individual mp3 id3 tags every time traktor loads. Force Traktor to re-read the id3 tags from the mp3's.

Really Thank You for this precious Link Bento!

Ahhh, ok. Ya, that did work. thanks!

btw, i think when beatport 2.0 comes out all their tracks are gonna have info such as key, etc, already in the id3 tags

Tech Guru

I've been looking for a free key detection program!
    Thankyou Dr Bento San.

.. you should start a self help show for DJs. Dr Phil of digital DJs.

Default Harmonic Mixing Tricks

Ean, you did an article in Remix and djtt a while back on harmonic mixing.. you said something about jumping up 3 or 7 in the camelot chart would usually work, as well as just going up or down on the chart. Is that right?

Is there an archive that i'm missing? i can never find those articles when i want to refer back to them

Are there any other "rules of thumb" (or, tricks to change the mood) for harmonic mixing like that?

anyone?

Tech Wizard

Jumping up/down 1 or 2 semitones works (translated to Camelot, add/subtract 7 or 2, respectively). As with all mixing, trust your ears and do what sounds best

This is taken from the forums at MixedInKey.com:
    Overview

"Energy boost mixing" is a great technique to create energy on your dance floor.

How-To

Here is how to use it: Detect the key of your current song, and pick the next song to be 1 or 2 semitones above it.

If you're in C Minor, your next key should be D-flat Minor (+1 semitone) or D Minor (+2 semitones). The rule is always the same, just go "right" on the piano from your original key.

The effect is really interesting: Energy on the dancefloor will rise every time. It doesn't work with every song, but most of the time it can create a pleasant effect.

Does this translate to Camelot numbers?

Yes. To go up one semitone, add 7 to your current Camelot number. If you're in E-flat Minor (2A), add 7 and you'll be in E Minor (9A).

To go up two semitones, just add 2 to your current Camelot number. If you're in C Minor (5A), add 2 and you'll get D Minor (7A). Play your next tune in 7A, and you'll experience an energy boost mix.

Who uses it?

I've heard Sasha and Armin Van Buuren use this technique many times. I personally love mixing +2 semitones since it does not clash as much as mixing +1 semitone. Every DJ should try this mix: The effect is really interesting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast