DDM4000 Mapping & Set Up help PLEASE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DDM4000 Mapping & Set Up help PLEASE

Hi there,

So I have a djtt vci-100 and I just got a ddm4000 that I want to use with midi as my mixer section (decks 1-4: EQ, gain, cue, and volume fader function) while using the vci as my fx unit and for the jog wheels, cue juggling, and all of Ean's goodies. But I am having a few issues...

FYI For the set up, I have an Edirol FA-66 sound card via firewire, the vci-100 via usb, and the ddm has a midi cable from the midi out of the ddm to the midi in of the FA-66 soundcard. I was told this would work best with guys at guitar center since I already have a good stand alone soundcard, and it should all work this way. Maybe not?

SO, I can't map the ddm4000 or seem to get midi working well, which concerns me since I bought it used so I wanna know what I'm doing wrong or if its busted. I have tried setting it into midi but I don't know if I need to have the channels muted or just selected with the [x] for each channel.

I also can't find a mapping that has this set up already, which would be incredibly appreciated! Using the ddm as the mixer for all 4 decks. I've read some about people using 2 channels with midi and the other 2 for something else. But this is not what I want, I need direct EQ and fader control for all 4 decks in traktor. Otherwise I would just use my vci.

Also, how do I get both mappings going together, as in mapping two controllers, with the vci-100 and the ddm. Whenever I map one, the other gets corrupted and the parameters are mapped to random things. Do I have to separate the channels and if so how? I did it the way the tutorial on here describes with using the large import button for one and the small import from the drop down menu for the second but this hasn't worked. I don't get the midi light coming on but I have had the ddm controlling traktor with my set up, just to random parameters and I can't get it to learn anything. I've mapped things before and fixed glitches on Ean's mapping with my 1.2 firmware so I know how to do it, but I'm definitely a noob. So please, help me out!

Any info or advice or links to a video that explains all my stupid questions is greatly appreciated!

Tech Wizard

Can you bullet point your hardware and software setup including versions? As well as simplify what you're trying to do?

I have a felling that I can help you, I'm just a bit confused upon first reading. I also want to make sure that I hit everything on the money.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Tech Convert

Sure thing, and thanks!

Traktor Pro 1.2.6 on 15" macbook pro.
    Soundcard: Edirol FA-66 via Firewire.
    Mixer: Behringer DDM4000 via Midi out to Midi in on the FA-66 soundcard.
    Deck Control/FX Unit: DJ TechTools VCI-100 SE (1.2 Firmware) via USB.

not sure what other info you might be looking for.

What I want to do is to have the DDM be my main mixer interface for all 4 decks, ABCD, and then use the VCI to control FX in traktor, cue juggling for decks, and deck control for pitch bending (jogwheels) and play/pause drop cue control. I thought it would be a pretty straight forward set-up lol

basically using the VCI-100 for its cool features and fx control and having a dedicated 4 EQ/fader section for mixing, while the sound is still going from the sound card i have since its a good one.

Tech Wizard

OK here we go.

First of all, the VCI-100 should be a piece of cake to set up. Just plug that straight in and if you've got a mapping, use that same small-import-button method. As a precaution make sure the In-Port and Out-Port all correspond with the VCI-100. Honestly I don't think that should be a problem.

As for the DDM4000, that's another matter. (I've never had experience with MIDI through a soundcard)

First off, MIDI CAN be used WITHOUT having to mute the hardware channel strips. The only downside to this (I THINK, I haven't touched my DDM4000 in a while) is that you then lose the "PFL" buttons as MIDI, because they then cue up audio that is routed through whichever channel is NOT muted. I would recommend playing out and using headphones all through your soundcard and muting all of your channel strips on the DDM4000. It's a lot less complicated and you get more buttons to dick around with.

The easiest way to fix the MIDI conflict issue would be to physically change the MIDI channel in he DDM4000 itself. If you don't know, this is done under the MIDI setup option when you hold down the center knob on the DDM4000. I would recommend choosing 16 just so that there is a clear difference between your VCI-100's channel (which I assume would be 1) and your DDM4000's

Next is choosing the In-Port and Out-Port. What you want to do is click on the small Import button and select General MIDI which will give you a blank slate to work with. Then when choosing the In-Port and Out-Port, since I don't know what option it will give you, it should either be something along the name of your soundcard or General USB, or USB MIDI device, or USB Audio Device.

This is my first installment. Let me know if this fixes any issues. If you can't find any General mappings for the DDM4000, I can make a super basic one for you. Just let me know which MIDI channel you chose on your DDM4000. It could be a while so never stop searching.

EDIT: Just realized it's a Firewire soundcard so maybe your In-Port and Out-Port options might say Firewire MIDI or Audio Device.

EDIT2: In the MIDI SETUP menu on the DDM4000 itself, I would just "x" everything: MIC, CROSSFADER, CHANNELS 1-4 MIDI and MUTE. And pick a different channel other than 1.
    Last edited by Dynamics; 09-03-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Sudden Realization upon reading (5:19 PM) I always do this.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Tech Convert

Ok so should I import the VCI mapping first using the little button, and just avoid using the big one altogether?

the VCI is set to the right ports, but the DDM i can't remember off my head, I will double check which one it was on, may have said all...

For the DDM i have seen the channel set up but did not know what to set it to, 1 or anything else. I will try 16 and mute all the other channels, and then see if this lets me map it myself. I should be able to do the basic ABCD EQ and vol faders gains etc., but thank you very much for the offer. If I run into trouble I will let you know. I won't be able to try anything else until later tonight though. Thanks for the advice!

Tech Guru

i can help too. i set up the midi on my ddm and have all of it mapped already.. got mine about couple months ago.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Guru

theres a tutorial here on how to set up multiple controllers.. but yes, set which ever first, then use the small button for the other controller (the ddm in your case)

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    i can help too. i set up the midi on my ddm and have all of it mapped already.. got mine about couple months ago.
    would you happen to have a mapping/tsi for 4 decks in traktor for the ddm?? that would be awesome and save me some time so i can get playing with it. i found some online that didn't work well or were for 2 decks :/. thanks!

Tech Guru

i dont.. sorry. i would normally take the time to make a tsi for you but im in school right now and have a bunch of other stuff to take care of..
    you should really try making your own though.

the one i made for my ddm is the first mapping ive ever made and it only took me about 4 hours to do it all, thats including the time it took me to learn HOW without any help.

the "learn" button in traktor is your friend.

Tech Convert

OKAY so i got it set up and am now playing around with mapping and getting it all squared away.

set to channel 16, everything is selected [x] channel and mute, and the ports are set to the Edirol FA-66 and not all or vestax, and the vestax is set as it should be.

i encountered one glitch where i had both working and then suddenly the vci stopped working entirely when i played a track, i unplugged it and replugged in the usb from the back and it went right to normal, so idk.

THANK YOU so much to the people who explained the simple things i was messing up. now i can map away and come up with my own little set up. i love having dedicated volume faders and eq already though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast