Traktor LE... stuck in a bad place.
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor LE... stuck in a bad place.

So I just got my Vestax TR-1 in the mail today. Looks like a really nice controller, and very solid build quality. It came with Traktor LE, I only had the demo of Traktor before.

When setting up the controller with in Traktor LE, I selected the TR-1 (also tried the TR-1 LE) as the USB controller pre set. Lots of functions are not working as I'd expect for them to be mapped (cue's are non existent on this setup, cue keys are mapped to loops, and few other oddities? I switched it to the 'demo' mode for Traktor Pro, loaded a TR-1 tsi I found on Vestax website... and now everything works pretty much as expected.

I noticed on the LE version you can't import custom tsi's... and you can't customize the controller. What a poor way to sell your software and it's compatible controllers, when you don't give full control (even if limited on other features: recording, efx, time limit, etc)

So here's the really tough bit. Now with Traktor 2 coming in April, what do I do? If I read right Traktor LE 1 can upgrade to Traktor 2 at $139... but that's not until April. Traktor LE 1 to Pro 1 is the same $130, right now, than I'd pay more to get to Traktor Pro 2 in April. Should I just tough it out until April with this very mediocre and limited version of Traktor? Or should I bite the bullet and pay big?

I'm really shouldn't say this but i'm still gonna...

I'd get myself a somewhat less legal version for the time being and buy the new software as soon as it gets out.

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

upboat for honesty

Quote Originally Posted by ricoot View Post
    I'm really shouldn't say this but i'm still gonna...

I'd get myself a somewhat less legal version for the time being and buy the new software as soon as it gets out.
    No you shouldn't say it, unless you want

THE BANHAMMERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

OP, Why don't you just get the free download demo of TPro1 which is available from the NI website until the release of TP2?

I don't know if it has every feature enabled, but it might be more than LE has. LE is of course purely designed to make you want Pro
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I should correct myself:

Do whatever it takes to get your controller to work. Just don't buy TP1 if you're planning on buying TP2.
    If there are demo's or trials available try those.

I'm not suggesting that you should download an illegal copy, just do whatever you feel is right.

Just DON'T buy Traktor pro twice!

NI Kontrol S2
    NI Traktor pro 2
    HD 25-1 II
    Behringer B1030A 5"

Check your firmware. I had this on a previous controller, once it was updated it all started working as intended

Then try looking for a proper midi map for it, you are definately in the right place to find one.

If all else fails, map it yourself!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Check your firmware. I had this on a previous controller, once it was updated it all started working as intended

Then try looking for a proper midi map for it, you are definately in the right place to find one.

If all else fails, map it yourself!
    You can't use custom maps on LE. That's the problem. Weigh up the price of upgrading to the new Traktor, if you find a cheap copy of Tp1 you might even get it cheaper by upgrading from that. unlikely though.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

tbh theres nothing morally wrong with using a less legit copy of tp1 if your planning on buying tp2.....ill back that.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Morals are not in the discussion, legality is.

LE can use custom maps you just have to name them the same as the standard LE mapping and replace it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I think for the next 45 days, I may be using the 'questionably obtained copy' of Traktor Pro 1. I do 100% plan to buy T2 upon it's release, this is great software and can see my self using and enjoying it for a very long time... but don't want to be frustrated with the poor controller layout that was included in the LE version of the software, and then have to re-learn the correct layout when I get T2. A demo could had done the job... but getting cut off every 30 minutes I'd see as frustrating as well. Thanks everyone for your honest feedback.