OT - Android or iphone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    the mac and iphone sync is supposed to be amazing. Specially if you get that mobile me package.
    )
    It is.. i have Mobile Me and its really good.
    Sharing tunes around my laptops is great. Syncing my Playlists.

Im sad enough to admit that my iPhone is my brain.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I tried Mobile me for their 90 day trial and decided that it didn't offer enough difference from the free Google syncing to be worth the $99 a year.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I think the Android phones suffer from the same thing that has kept Linux from being an actual rival to Windows or Mac OS, and that's the fact that there is no consolidated platform for development. When you pick up an iPhone, it's going to have the same OS as any other iPhone (more or less based on patching or firmware revisions) because it's not an open source, so development is limited to the people who own it.

Android, on the other hand, can be developed by just about anyone and because of that you end up with every hardware maker putting their own spin on the OS. Since there is no singular platform for development you don't have the same app availability because developers just don't know what they might be developing for.

Granted, that may all change, and it's certainly getting better, but I'd take the iPhone any day.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

iPhone!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

if youre a geek and like to geek out to all things geeky, then android might be for you
    iOS is rock solid, but a little more in the "set it and forget it" category.

i got the evo4g, and the three main reasons i literally walked out of the at&t store and back into the sprint store were

larger screen (it's hot)
    removable sd card
    removable battery
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

I'd probably stay away from Samsung. That being said, I choose Android over iOS for a number of reasons. Don't get me wrong, Apple hardware is NICE, you're gonna have consistent software development and a real plug and play experience. But as was said, iOS is more set-it and forget-it. (Of course there's always jailbreaking).

As for Android, I wouldn't worry to much about sync vs. apple. Google's cloud covers pretty much anything you'd want to sync, they're adding new services all the time, and it's free. To get the same level of sync and data management on the iPhone you need to pay for MobileMe.

The thing about Android is not so much the number of OS versions, but the user interfaces and bloatware that different manufacturers skin up Android with. They all do it differently and it can turn an amazing piece of hardware into a piece of shit. If you go Android, my suggestion is to start with good hardware, and pick a manufacturer/carrier combo that has a decent reputation as far as what they do to the vanilla operating system. Don't trip on the number of Android revisions - there was a lot of experimenting among handsets in the early days, but now Google has solidified the framework and plans are to be releasing a new version maybe once a year. You'll see Android handsets and applications getting a lot more consistent from now forward.

HTC and Motorola have some slamming handsets right now.
    The latest moto UI is much better than the motoblur stuff.
    HTC Sense is a very nice UI.

Of course if you're savvy, you can root your Android phone. I consider this a must, and should be honest and say that I wasn't totally satisfied with my phone until I did this. But now I've got free Wi-Fi tethering/hotspot, a custom ROM and kernel, overclocking, undervolting, crazy-ass battery life, and best of all, can remove all the crap that Sprint put on the phone (EVO 4g).

Unfortunately as far as serious music/midi apps, Android is not there yet. So if that's a big draw for you, iPhone is a better bet. But there are a lot of really smart devs out there coming up with new things all the time, so it's just a waiting game. It'll get there.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Of course if you're savvy, you can root your Android phone. I consider this a must, and should be honest and say that I wasn't totally satisfied with my phone until I did this. But now I've got free Wi-Fi tethering/hotspot, a custom ROM and kernel, overclocking, undervolting, crazy-ass battery life, and best of all, can remove all the crap that Sprint put on the phone (EVO 4g).
    did you root froyo 2.2? or you still on an older version?

edit: wewt just noticed they releasted the steps to root 2.2 today

from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08...o-4g-released/
    Last edited by completej; 08-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post

As for Android, I wouldn't worry to much about sync vs. apple. Google's cloud covers pretty much anything you'd want to sync, they're adding new services all the time, and it's free. To get the same level of sync and data management on the iPhone you need to pay for MobileMe.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious. What can you sync with an android phone and Google that I can't sync with an iPhone and Google?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Colleague of mine has a Galaxy, I got an HTC Desire. Both Android, both nice.

Though I am more partial to my Desire, than his Galaxy. It somehow just adds up better than the Galaxy for me.

I used to be an iPhone fanboy, but nowadays, Android ftw!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

iphone 4 is nice, pics are clear, and recording video in 720 looks good. Give me tethering and ill be happy...of course for free.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast