Smart-Compression in Live 7? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Punky View Post
    I actually read that already which was what prompted me to post here - so if someone could show me how to get it to work, I'd appreciate it.

Nico - while I appreciate your advice, I'd like to try Belvario's smart-compression myself before I make any judgments.
    No prob! I'll try to dig out the adaptation I did this summer and post it somewhere so you can grab it!

I'm on a mac, so I ran Live in VMWARE, wrote down the settings of the free side chain comp, and dialed them into the Live side chain compressor. It is essentially the same thing, except I can run it on OSX, the free vst comp doesn't exist for my platform. If you had no love using the original, then the modified version should be as dissapointing.

To use it, you turn up one send, for the bass for example (I kind of remember that some stuff was misslabeled, and I had to rewire the damn thing properly). It should compress the bass of the other track. More or less...
    Last edited by nico; 11-21-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpress View Post
    I've had Moldovers smart mixer work fine in Live 7. Essentially it's just 3 "insert" channels with different EQ settings and then a further 3 with compressors on. What errors are you getting?
    Simple as that? Great news! Care to share your als file?

Tech Guru

I find the sidechain on the compressor or auto-filter in 7 works sweet. Perhaps not as good/deep as some VSTs but certainly good enough to do the trick with some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    sorry for the offtopic but does anyone have any ideas on how to set up smart compression in other programs say deckadance? i guess one way would be to run dd in ableton as a vst, but could i run a vst in dd that would do the same thing?

thanks
    Deckadance doesnt have a strong enough VST implementation to be able to smart mix in stand alone mode, you will need to load it as a vst then split its multiple outputs to different channels in Ableton.

Tech Convert

Ok Punky, here is what I think is the latest modded belvario setup I've done.

You just have to smartmix Traktor into live, then use the sends, it's bass at the bottom (C), mids(B), then treble(A) at the top, as it rightfully should. Didn't try it much, wasn't pleased with it. Just putting it up there for what it is worth.

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Deckadance doesnt have a strong enough VST implementation to be able to smart mix in stand alone mode, you will need to load it as a vst then split its multiple outputs to different channels in Ableton.
    thanks, I just read in on the imageline forums:

I have some good news for you. In a few days there will be a new release of DD. It contains the following improvements (...related to Ableton Live):

1) Fixed the problem of "both cue and master outputs go to the channel output".

2) Deckadance will expose now stereo outputs/inputs "not mono channels".

3) Deckadance will handle by itself the midi input/output ports. This simplify considerably the setup and native support for controllers (...in your case the VCI-100). It reduces the latency and jitter and handles correctly the "feedback leds".
    http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=26655

thanks for the reply

This smartmixing of mine is comming along very very nicely, more info to proceed once i do some more tweaking ! I promise this will be really easy to setup and anyone even with an ableton live demo can check this out.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    This smartmixing of mine is comming along very very nicely, more info to proceed once i do some more tweaking ! I promise this will be really easy to setup and anyone even with an ableton live demo can check this out.
    Don't bother trying to get what I posted above to work, you'll be wasting time since our man here is hard at work on something much better!

Its nearly complete and i am personally really happy with the results i am getting !

could melodyne be of any use in the chain? just throwing the idea out there...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast