Bypassing the phono preamp on Pioneer DJM mixers

Default Bypassing the phono preamp on Pioneer DJM mixers

Has anyone done this before? I have line to phono converters but would feel a little silly dropping the level only to have it boosted again in the mixer's phono inputs. The mixer I'm thinking of doing it to is a Pioneer DJM-600. Have the Pioneer service (not user) manual for this model but my audio engineer training was 17 years ago and reading diagrams was one of the topics I was least interested in. Explained why I never felt comfortable with the Neve and preferred to be recording - as a musician.
    Know thy music ...

Sounds dangerous.. I did this to my Xone 92.. but thats just a jumper switch you need to remove.

Theoretically, it should only be a matter of leapfrogging the preamp.
    Know thy music ...

Looking at a picture from the back it seems that there are 8 double inputs, like 4x2 for phono and 4x2 for line, amiright?
    point being: why remove/route around phono input?

why have 4 wheels on a car when you can drive a motorcycle?

I use all 8 on my 4 channel mixer. One example would be your mixer is in a place where once set up is difficult to access. So if you dont use turntables why limit yourself. My first 3 channels have electribes plugged in, the 4th is to a xone 2d.
    the alternate inputs on the first 3 channels have serrato SL3 outputs. So if I decide to not use one of the electribes I can flick the switch and then drop in something from serato or even do routing tricks... like bring the channel down.. flick the switch.... send the alternate source into a delay with high feedback... then switch back to the normal line input being used and have that other source still going in my AUX RETURN Channel. There are infinite ways to use those alternate source. Some djs just want 2 channels and they can do their thing, other djs take advantage of extra outputs from devices and have them ready to go.

I have a rca to 1/8th trs hooked into my iphone with BLOOM ready to go... or if needed a Fart Piano for anyone making a request for the music... kill the music..flick the switch... wait till the crowd looks at you.. then point your finger at the person making the song request and hit the fart piano with 50k watts of fart power. Then mix in some dubstep and no one will even know what happened.

i really want this aswell. Limited totally by the phono ins on the djms ... too many
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post
    why have 4 wheels on a car when you can drive a motorcycle?

I use all 8 on my 4 channel mixer. One example would be your mixer is in a place where once set up is difficult to access. So if you dont use turntables why limit yourself. My first 3 channels have electribes plugged in, the 4th is to a xone 2d.
    the alternate inputs on the first 3 channels have serrato SL3 outputs. So if I decide to not use one of the electribes I can flick the switch and then drop in something from serato or even do routing tricks... like bring the channel down.. flick the switch.... send the alternate source into a delay with high feedback... then switch back to the normal line input being used and have that other source still going in my AUX RETURN Channel. There are infinite ways to use those alternate source. Some djs just want 2 channels and they can do their thing, other djs take advantage of extra outputs from devices and have them ready to go.

I have a rca to 1/8th trs hooked into my iphone with BLOOM ready to go... or if needed a Fart Piano for anyone making a request for the music... kill the music..flick the switch... wait till the crowd looks at you.. then point your finger at the person making the song request and hit the fart piano with 50k watts of fart power. Then mix in some dubstep and no one will even know what happened.
    you made my day.

With the increasing number of controllers as well as quite a few turntables having line outputs now, it only makes sense to do something about those justabouttotallyuseless phono inputs. And it's actually 6, not 4. Channels 2, 3 and 4. The one on Channel 4 can also be used for a microphone but not an XLR, it's a TRS socket on the bottom left of the mixer.

The reason I'd like to have 6 line inputs is because the four stereo returns from Traktor (using external mixer) already uses up 4 and I'd like the CDJs to have a direct physical split into the mixer instead of having to rely on Audio Through just in case the Traktor software itself hangs. The DJM-600 actually has 5 line inputs but it's always preferable to have your timecode controlled tracks and CD audio on the same channels so it's simply flicking the input toggles should something happen.
    Know thy music ...

Anyone managed to do this yet?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution