2 DJs running 1 instance of Traktor Pro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default 2 DJs running 1 instance of Traktor Pro?

I'd like to collaborate with a friend, running 1 laptop live. Has this been done? (I'm guessing yes)...

I'm imagining the first controller controlling decks 1 and 2, and the second controller controlling decks 3 and 4.

Can anyone shine more light onto this? Thanks!

Tech Convert liveperformerz(trini)'s Avatar

Cool

It can be done in traktor pro easyly,it's all up to the mapping on the two controlers the only issues are who has command of the crossfader and how powerful is your laptop . Once I know the controlers being used I can give more detail on the subject. PEACE!!!!

Tech Wizard

my laptop is powerful enough - i5 with 4 gigs of ddr3.

Completely forgot about the cross fader...that's quite the pickle.

Lets talk two scenarios:

1. VCI100 and VCI300
    2. two VCI100s

What would be your suggestion?

Two VCI-100's. The VCI-300 doesn't work perfectly in Traktor due to the 14 bit midi.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

If you're going to use 4 decks, I would suggest two different controllers. Due to overlapping MIDIsignals.
    Okay you can do a lot with Bome's MIDI translator etc etc, but this is not a preferred way if you ask me.

In my experience, the bad thing about the VCI is, that you can not alter the preset that easy.
    So setting a VCI to a different channel is not that much fun.

Than again, if you're just using two decks (or 4) and are just switching/adding... It could be well enough. You just need to be trained/synergizing well. Practice makes perfect in this case.

Crossfading problem... Well... That can be fixed with a proper mapping as well.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    If you're going to use 4 decks, I would suggest two different controllers. Due to overlapping MIDIsignals.
    Okay you can do a lot with Bome's MIDI translator etc etc, but this is not a preferred way if you ask me.

In my experience, the bad thing about the VCI is, that you can not alter the preset that easy.
    So setting a VCI to a different channel is not that much fun.

Than again, if you're just using two decks (or 4) and are just switching/adding... It could be well enough. You just need to be trained/synergizing well. Practice makes perfect in this case.

Crossfading problem... Well... That can be fixed with a proper mapping as well.
    if he or she is using traktor pro, they can use the same midi controller on the same channel and simply route them to different ports using the controller manager, and have no conflict in messages. been on 2x vci100 for a few months now. super easy to set up and even more fun to use.

Tech Convert liveperformerz(trini)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    if he or she is using traktor pro, they can use the same midi controller on the same channel and simply route them to different ports using the controller manager, and have no conflict in messages. been on 2x vci100 for a few months now. super easy to set up and even more fun to use.
    That iz as tru as it can be mainly because there has been allot of improvement with the issue of identifying to or more controllers even if they are the same
    So my vote iz with the 2 / vci 100 's
    (DTT arcade edition most preferably for more live creativity) lol

PEACE!!!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    Nice, can you elaborate on the routing to different ports?

Will each port control different deck(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by zong View Post
    Nice, can you elaborate on the routing to different ports?

Will each port control different deck(s)?
    no. each controller has its own in- and out-port.. go to preferences --> controller manager. right next to the device you can set the ports.
    with this feature it's really simple to use two controller of the same kind, sending on the same midi channel.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

This is some great info. A friend of mine is coming up sometime later this year and we have been discussing how to make this happen for sometime. Thank you weltraumpapst.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast