Reloop Digital Jockey 2 - IE for Traktor pro (4 Decks, 8 hotcues, loop move + more)

Default Reloop Digital Jockey 2 - IE for Traktor pro (4 Decks, 8 hotcues, loop move + more)

Hi!

This is my first mapping (just got the controller a couple of days ago). I was inspired by the upcoming Traktor S4 controller and tried to mimic some of its functionality.
    I use a reloop digital jockey 2 - interface edition with firmware 3.3, and traktor pro 1.2.4.

Features:
    • True 4 Deck control (all functions available on all 4 decks)
    • 2 FX panels (chained and/or advanced)
    • 8 hotcues (for each deck)
    • Advanced panel move functionality (beatjump, loop in, loop out, loop move)
    • Simplified browser mode with multiple functionality
    • Beat phase monitor for playing track (flashing shift-led)
    • Mapping stays true to printed labels on the deck (for basic functionality)
    • LEDs updating correctly when switching decks/modes.

So, how does it work..
    The official 3.3 mapping on the reloop forum used the Shift keys as a modifiers in traktor, aswell as the built in shift-midi-note functionality of the digital jockey. This is not the best way to solve it, since the traktor modifiers will change whenever you use a shift functionality.

What I did is created 4 new modifier buttons: (when a modifier button is lit, it is = 1)
    Deck A/C= D#-1 (left tempo bend "-"). This uses modifier M1 (0 = Deck A, 1 = Deck C)
    Deck B/D = E4 (right tempo bend "+"). This uses modifier M5 (0 = Deck B, 1 = Deck D)
    Basic-FX/Hotcue-loop mode for left side = E-1 (left tempo bend "+"). This uses modifier M4 (0 = basic-fx, 1 = hotcue-loop)
    Basic-FX/Hotcue-loop mode for right side = D#4 (right tempo bend "-"). This uses modifier M8 (0 = basic-fx, 1 = hotcue-loop)

In order to use these buttons, I had to move the original tempo bend functions, so they are now accessed by using the Shift key on each side. I.e tempo bend "-" right side would be accessed by holding down right shift and simultaneously pressing the right side tempo bend "-" key. For obvious reasons, the close/open folder (which are supposedly accessed by holding shift) are moved elsewhere, more on that later.

Since I use true 4 deck functionality with modifiers, a lot of shift-functionality becomes redundant on the controller. Most of these freed up buttons I didnt re-map, so there is a lot of room for added features with this mapping.
    Example:
    The Loop in/set cue button will set the loop in cue for the active Deck. However, if holding down shift and pressing the same button, nothing will happen. This is because setting the alternative deck on that side requires you to first select it with the modifier button. For this reason, a additional function could be added here for both decks.

Basic-fx mode
    This mode is pretty self explanatory. All the knobs and buttons do what is printed on them for the current deck. LEDs will light up whenever an FX or control is activated.
    There are however some additions.
    Holding Shift and pressing Load A will toggle Snap mode. Holding Shift and pressing Load B will toggle Quantize mode.
    Holding Shift and pressing Cue a will jump to the begging of the currently loaded track on the currently active deck. The same goes for Cue b.

Hotcue-loop mode
    This is where it gets interesting. The section that changes when this mode is entered are the four FX knobs the four FX buttons and the four loop buttons. In order to see what what your knobs do, the traktor decks also expands into advanced move mode.
    Code:
    Button          New function
    -------------------------------------------
    Activate 1      Select/set + store hotcue 1
    Activate 2      Select/set + store hotcue 2
    Activate 3      Select/set + store hotcue 3
    FX On           Select/set + store hotcue 4
    In/Set Cue      Select/set + store hotcue 5
    Out / Reloop    Select/set + store hotcue 6
    Auto loop       Select/set + store hotcue 7
    Loop active     Select/set + store hotcue 8
    When you store a hotcue, the corresponding LED will light up.
    By holding Shift and pressing the buttons above, you delete the corresponding hotcue/loop (turning the LED off)
    If you want to change an active hotcue to be a load cue (the marker from witch the track loads whenever you load it the next time) you press shift-Load A or Load B (depending on what side you are working with atm).

The knobs have new functions aswell:
    Code:
    Knob          New function
    --------------------------------
    FX/Value 1    Loop move
    FX/Value 2    Loop size
    FX/Value 3    Cue/Loop move mode
    Dry/Wet       Cue/Loop move size
    When you press down on a knob, stuff happens too!
    Code:
    Knob pressed  New function
    --------------------------------
    FX/Value 1    Loop in
    FX/Value 2    Loop out
    FX/Value 3    Loop active
    Dry/Wet       Auto loop
    Browse mode
    This mode is entered by pressing down on the big Trax knob in the middle, and opens up the large browser of traktor. This is the "normal" behaviour of most mappings, and corresponds to the printed labels on the controller. However, I added some functions for quicker browsing/loading.
    Code:
    Control          New function
    -------------------------------------------
    Left jog         Browse tree-structure
    Right jog        Browse list
    Shift-right jog  Browse list (fast)
    Left cup         Load A
    Left cue         Load C
    Left play/pause  Close/open folder (toggle)
    Right cup        Close/open folder (toggle)
    Right cue        Load B
    Right play/pause Load D

Additional notes:
    I use a 13" screen, and for that reason the FX-panels dissappear whenever the Deck panels are in advanced mode. For this reason I have added the advanced mode toggle whenever one of the decks are in Hootcue-loop mode.
    If traktor created a control for hiding the browser all-together (how useful is a 2 line list of songs?) then this would not be needed. Several feature requests and threads have been created on the native-instrument forums asking for this..

This mapping relies on send montitor states (otherwise the LEDs wont update when you switch Decks/modes). I have had no sound issues with this on my Mac book pro running a core2duo at 2.26Ghz (with 4GB ram). Everytime you press one of the four deck/mode modifier buttons, traktor will send monitor states.

Feel free to ask if something is unclear, and also suggest changes/additions.

Cheers!
    Last edited by markymark6; 08-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.