New Virutal Dj, 2 decks out 99 in :O - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

we'll see how stable this is
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

So Virtual DJ 7 has just been released. Works pretty well so far. Haven't figured out yet how to add more decks, but the up to 6 decks that are implemented in the man skins work pretty good so far.
    (And the MAC version finally plays FLACs!!!)

I have a friend who swears by Virtual DJ even though he already has Traktor Duo and owned a Serato SL1 at one point.

I think it's because he spins video sets occasionally and said that Serato video was overpriced when he switched to VDJ.

We debated over VDJ's image of being an amateurish app, because it's probably the most bootlegged DJ software on the planet and the earlier versions were sh*t, not to mention if you don't have a LE or Cue upgrade it's a bit pricey at $300 for just the software.

The only folks I've seen use VDJ were complete beginners and really bad mobile DJs, but my boy is so in love with it.

Anyways...I just bought a Numark Mixtrack (love it) and just to show off I took it over to his place.

We tried it out on his laptop with VDJ and I have to admit being impressed.

Compared to Traktor, scratching the Mixtrack actually worked better in Virtual DJ....the platter seemed to have a more accurate response with less drift and you can get a sharper cut on the crossfader.

The only negatives I could find was:

1. The effects aren't just pre-fader...they're actually in the audio stream as if they're a part of the original audio file. If you activate a delay and hit pause, the effect stops. You can even scratch the delay tails. This completely prohibits you from using the delay as transition effect (stupid). BUT...one cool thing I noticed was some of the effects somehow contained fader and transport automation. There was an effect that looped the audio and automatically faded out using the channel fader, then paused the deck. It sounded like a ghetto delay out, but if this type of stuff is programmable that opens up a whole new world. You could have banks of automated effects like clips in Ableton.

2. Most of the skins are butt ugly, poorly designed, and at different resolutions. The skins don't automatically resize to fit your screen just s-t-r-e-t-c-h, which adds to the butt ugliness. You have to wade through a lot of crap.

With all that said I'm thinking of getting into video DJing and Virtual DJ seems like the best option. I don't want to resort to using a shady copy. Anyone know of a good way to get a discount? If there are any Hercules hardware owners out there I'd gladly trade an unregistered Traktor LE for an unregistered VDJ LE, if only to get the upgrade discount.
    Last edited by coolout; 10-27-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Tech Guru

I've tried to move away from VDJ, have Traktor Pro, but i keep going back to vdj i'm just really comfortable with it.

I don't see why people insist on bashing it, as with most things it comes down to personal preference surely?

Quote Originally Posted by coolout View Post

The only negatives I could find was:

1. The effects aren't just pre-fader...they're actually in the audio stream as if they're a part of the original audio file. If you activate a delay and hit pause, the effect stops. You can even scratch the delay tails. This completely prohibits you from using the delay as transition effect (stupid). BUT...one cool thing I noticed was some of the effects somehow contained fader and transport automation. There was an effect that looped the audio and automatically faded out using the channel fader, then paused the deck. It sounded like a ghetto delay out, but if this type of stuff is programmable that opens up a whole new world. You could have banks of automated effects like clips in Ableton.

2. Most of the skins are butt ugly, poorly designed, and at different resolutions. The skins don't automatically resize to fit your screen just s-t-r-e-t-c-h, which adds to the butt ugliness. You have to wade through a lot of crap.

With all that said I'm thinking of getting into video DJing and Virtual DJ seems like the best option. I don't want to resort to using a shady copy. Anyone know of a good way to get a discount? If there are any Hercules hardware owners out there I'd gladly trade an unregistered Traktor LE for an unregistered VDJ LE, if only to get the upgrade discount.
    1. This was true, but about 2 month ago TEXZK released a fully working delay, beatmasher and echo. These are actually post-fader, meaning the delay goes on even if the track is stopped. Just as supposed, not like the old version. Just let your boy D/L it, its wonderfull.

2. Skins are user created. Meaning that its up to the user that made it how it looks and what resolution it has. The VDJ dev´s only make the standard skins. However, look around alittle bit and you´ll find awesome skins like turntablism skins and so on.

3. Wanna have VDJ7 and dont wanna spend alot of cash? Get the free home version, it supports midi and timecode for 10 minutes. If you want total midi control get the full pro version. There are severall upgrade paths, but i think its most worth if you look for a controller with VDJ LE like the American Audio VMS4 or the Hercules 4-mx, these are actual 4 deck controllers with VDJ in mind.

peace
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234