Xone DX - I would recommend!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Xone DX - I would recommend!

DX turned up the other day. Thought id post my views on it.

First impressions: Very well built, sturdy and looks like the suavest bit of kit on the market. It isnt much bigger than most other "internal" controllers and isnt too heavy. I wouldnt find it too difficult to carry around especially as Mono and Magma do bags that fit.

Setting up: I use this with Traktor Pro (not Itch that comes with). It was set up and working within 5 minutes. Simply a case of installing the driver from the cd, grabbing one of the TSI files from the Allen and Heath site (I would recommend mapping #3 on there) and just importing that to traktor. Everything worked fine first time.

In use: I find everything well layed out, easy to use and navigate. Its got everything I could possibly need all in one unit. Whether it be effects, looping or just basic controls its great for the lot. Also, 4 deck action is really easy at the press of just one button. The jog wheels feel nice as a pitch bend and make it easy to cue up/search through a track to find the point your after.

I would recommend this to anyone. Saves the hassle of having to set up 2 Kontrol X1's and an Audio 8 then wire them all to a mixer - everything is just there at your fingertips!

Heres a pic -
    ::: DJ (House/Deep/Techno)
    :::
    Percussionist

Glad you are enjoying the DX. I've had mine since March and still loving it.

I'm using the same mapping as you #3 but have had to modify it. I don't know if its just me but channel 3 and 4 seem to be the wrong way round. I know A&H said they would create a mapping similar to itch but in itch it uses channel 1 and 3 as the top 2 decks and 2 and 4 as the bottom. So surely in Traktor it should be the same and not channel 4 for deck B?
    CDJ2000 x 3 : DJM900 : Novation Remote SL25 : Ableton L8 : Traktor Pro 2

Tech Wizard

One thing I would like to do is map it to put in a beat marker and the press of a button and to adjust grids - maybe assign it to shift -> effect rotary dial or the loop length rotary dial
    Percussionist

They have assigned a button (censor) so you can lock the beat grid so would of thought they would of allowed beat grid control from the dx too. Ah well probably wouldn't take much to map it out.

You going to BPM this year?

I want one so bad. But I believe I will just bite the bullet and buy another 1D and Xone mixer. Then just wing it from there. Glad to hear you like the DX. I cant stop watching videos on any Allen & Heath product.
    Traktor Pro, Kontrol X1, 2x Xone 1D, Pioneer DJM600, Technics 1200 M3D's, Toshiba Windows 7. Audio 2
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢) ┌∩┐

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hesitant View Post
    They have assigned a button (censor) so you can lock the beat grid so would of thought they would of allowed beat grid control from the dx too. Ah well probably wouldn't take much to map it out.

You going to BPM this year?
    Ive just been looking at the mapping layout pdf file and just noticed it does have as you said above. Also didnt realise the effects modes switch if you press the dials down. Will have to try that later on.

Yeah im going, only down the road from me. You making a trip?
    Percussionist

Quote Originally Posted by danshadowcompany View Post
    Ive just been looking at the mapping layout pdf file and just noticed it does have as you said above. Also didnt realise the effects modes switch if you press the dials down. Will have to try that later on.

Yeah im going, only down the road from me. You making a trip?
    A&H have done pretty well with those mappings. Its just unfortunate I don't really have enough time on my hands to create a full map. Would love to though.

Yeah I'm making the trip. Got my ticket through the door just last week. Was there last year and enjoyed it. I'm heading down with one of my mates. We stayed at the Radison at the NEC but its fully booked already Just gonna have to find an alternative that ain't too far away. Any suggestions seeing as your local?

Tech Wizard

Theres the Hilton Metropole which is walking distance to NEC and just read up the The Ramada Encore and the Crowne Plaza too. (NEC's in the middle of nowhere really so i think those hotels are virtually on site.)

Otherwise if you were making a weekend of it I would recommend staying city centre in either the Malmaison (Mailbox) or the City Inn (Brindley Place). Both of those are in good locations for food/nights out and you can get a train from New St station which is walking distance of both hotels directly to NEC and back. Ive stayed at both of those hotels and they are both really nice.
    Last edited by danshadowcompany; 08-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
    Percussionist

DX turned up the other day. Thought id post my views on it.
    Sounds like you pretty much agree with the DJTT review: http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/06/1...one-dx-review/

My biggest gripes with the unit are ergonomic ones:
    -right most FX knob (encoder) is too close to the third knob
    -gain knobs have a center detent (wtf were they thinking?)
    -its a beast to carry for house parties and needs a bigger table than a VCI

To be honest, I only tinkered with it and Traktor. Still am glued to the VCI for all Traktor purposes (it was the first workflow I really learned and can run it in my sleep).

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Theres the Hilton Metropole which is walking distance to NEC and just read up the The Ramada Encore and the Crowne Plaza too. (NEC's in the middle of nowhere really so i think those hotels are virtually on site.)

Otherwise if you were making a weekend of it I would recommend staying city centre in either the Malmaison (Mailbox) or the City Inn (Brindley Place). Both of those are in good locations for food/nights out and you can get a train from New St station which is walking distance of both hotels directly to NEC and back. Ive stayed at both of those hotels and they are both really nice.
    Sorry I don't know why I said the Radison. It was the Ramada Encore I stayed at, but thats now fully booked. I think the 2 city centre options will probably be the best as it will be good to check the nightlife out after each day. How long is the train journey to the NEC from New St station? Oh and do these hotels have on site parking? We would take the car to the NEC each day but is roughly £8 a day parking plus one of us can't have a drink at the event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast