How do y'all handle lacking inspiration? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Ne-Dek View Post
    The biggest thing I would do is take time off, as gay as it may sound, put DJing and producing COMPLETELY out of your mind and focus on school, girls, new friends etc. are you gonna be a freshman in college this year like me? if so, where are you going?

Anyways, get an xbox or something and just relax, in time, something will spur you to think... "fuck yea! i really miss this shit! i need to get back at it" and you'll be as good as new.
    This is gonna be my 3rd year in college and I... erm... just earned enough hours to be a sophomore. Lol. Hey if I have to spend the next decade in college that's fine with me! I go to Eastern Illinois University.

Last year I lived in the dorms and I had loads of free time (I dropped a few classes) and during the week all I would do is produce, and when I got tired of that, I would play Call of Duty. When I got tired of that, back to music. (Coincidentally, I now hate Call of Duty and it's a miracle I still enjoy producing)
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    This is gonna be my 3rd year in college and I... erm... just earned enough hours to be a sophomore. Lol. Hey if I have to spend the next decade in college that's fine with me! I go to Eastern Illinois University.

Last year I lived in the dorms and I had loads of free time (I dropped a few classes) and during the week all I would do is produce, and when I got tired of that, I would play Call of Duty. When I got tired of that, back to music. (Coincidentally, I now hate Call of Duty and it's a miracle I still enjoy producing)
    Ahh i see, lol, I'll be a freshman at John Carroll in Cleveland. I'd go out and just mix it up, get away from producing in every way possible for a while, sometimes when I'm looking for inspirational, i'll play like a 4 hours long set in room just to think about what i'm hearing, what melodies, basslines and such i really like and I feel like I could alter and mold into my own

...and if I may ask, are you the one paying the loans at the end of your college stay? lol
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I now hate Call of Duty and it's a miracle I still enjoy producing)
    Nightclub City?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

LSD or cocaine

There is no way that I am the only one here that occasionally hits a roadblock when it comes to DJing and producing. There's just times were I cannot produce anything of quality, and I just feel largely uninspired. I'm not going to force myself to try to produce something, because we all know how that would turn out.

If anyone says something like "I never get tired of it because when you find something you love you never get tired of it, music is my life..." I will slap you back to 1955. Say hi to Marty McFly for me.

But seriously, there's nothing I love more than making music, but there's times where I just am uninspired, and don't feel like producing. How do you guys handle this?

(I'd like to take this opportunity to say that y'all isn't typically a word I would use, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time)
    when i hear a noise i want to sample, i sample it and make a track out of it. the more annoying the noise the better. can go months before i hear something that grabs me.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Ne-Dek View Post
    Ahh i see, lol, I'll be a freshman at John Carroll in Cleveland. I'd go out and just mix it up, get away from producing in every way possible for a while, sometimes when I'm looking for inspirational, i'll play like a 4 hours long set in room just to think about what i'm hearing, what melodies, basslines and such i really like and I feel like I could alter and mold into my own

...and if I may ask, are you the one paying the loans at the end of your college stay? lol
    I feel this urge that I should be producing all the time though. It's kinda like my brain is depended on it. If I don't at least open FL once a day I'll feel like a wasted a day. I'm weird.

And yes I am paying all the loans, which is really uh... it's just super. I had to take private loans and government loans, which hopefully I'll pay off before I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Nightclub City?
    Lol. I try to stay away from Facebook games.

Quote Originally Posted by munizj View Post
    LSD or cocaine
    I said I wanted to find inspiration, not tweak out! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    when i hear a noise i want to sample, i sample it and make a track out of it. the more annoying the noise the better. can go months before i hear something that grabs me.
    And you know what the garbage part is? You have to wait for that to happen. No matter how hard you try, you can't make that come to you. Man that pisses me off!
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

your alone man, all the payment is on me too :/

as for your urge, you need to curb it somehow, because the more frustrated you get, the more of a chance you'll have of saying fuck it, i dont wanna do this anymore
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

And you know what the garbage part is? You have to wait for that to happen. No matter how hard you try, you can't make that come to you. Man that pisses me off!
    i don't sweat it, when it comes it comes, better than forcing it

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Yeah...take a break....

When you go back...it will be super fun again.

I listen to older tunes that used to rock my world and try and gain inspiration from that!

Also listen to another genre of music.

Toke a blunt ....works for me!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

ctrld

there's nothing I love more than making music, but there's times where I just am uninspired, and don't feel like producing. How do you guys handle this?
    other than taking a break, listening to and/or buying new music generally helps as far as DJing goes. get a couple of new tunes and go crazy.

when it comes to producing, I've yet to find the ultimate recipe and I guess everybody has their own approach. it's just as you said, creativity cannot be forced - but there's so much stuff flying around the intarwebz, generally zapping though youtube for a while will trigger someting eventually.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast