Taking the X1 a bit further... 2 Decks, 4 FX, 1 X1

Default Taking the X1 a bit further... 2 Decks, 4 FX, 1 X1

So I'm really digging the X1, but ive been trying to come up with a solid FX section mapping thats both straight forward, powerful, and caters well to my play style.

Firstly, I've ditched the FX assign buttons completely and have opted for the left FX controls on the X1 to always be assigned to deck A, and the right controls assigned to deck B in order to cut down on confusion mid-performance as to which FX unit is assigned to which deck...

Secondly, I've enabled all 4 FX units, with units 1 and 3 assigned to deck A, and 2 and 4 assigned to deck B. FX units 3 and 4 are now the DEFAULT controlled units, and are set to chained mode. These are controlled just like the default setup of the X1, with the dry/wet on the SHIFT page instead of the normal page to make room for:

FX units 1 and 3 are in advanced mode with the filter:92 in DJM mode as the default. This is controlled with the DRY/WET and ON controls on the X1 (very top of controller).

So each side looks something like this:

The reason I've set it up this way is because i cant stand any of traktors preset filters, they are all either too dramatic with the resonance or not dramatic enough, so ive set up the filter:92 with a res setting i like to act as my default filter control. This also puts the filter BEFORE the other chained effects i have in FX units 2 and 4 to allow for some cool filtering effects not possible with the internal mixer's filter controls, which are placed after all FX in the signal path.

NOW, what I want to do is use the row of FX assign buttons on the X1 to create some advanced functionality a-la ean's midi-fighter mapping.

For example, im thinking of setting up a button that will simultaneously switch one of the FX banks to the beat slicer, set all of its parameters to zero, activate it with 2BAR, and put the effected song into a 2 bar loop, all with one button, which will also re-map the X1's top half of controls to allow for control of the beat slicer AND the chained FX on a single deck, e.g. all top half controls on the X1 would be effecting a single deck when in the "Sampler" mode for that deck.

This would look like:

(with the slicer ON and probably something else in the "beatmasher" slot on the chained FX unit)

To switch everything back to normal control, youd press the same button to "de-activate" sampler mode. This would of course put modifiers into heavy use.

So my question is not really on HOW to do this (i have a pretty good idea and am already working on it), but if there is anyone else actually attempting something like this, and if so, what are some other clever tricks that could put the X1 to maximum good use.

Since I've freed up the entire row of 4 FX assign buttons on the X1, im trying to think of other cool things i could do with those buttons.

Thoughts?

Tech Wizard

^^^^ Sounds interesting, I'd like to help you out. Would you be able to send a .tsi file of what you have mapped out so far? I've just ditched Torq due to M-Audio's blatant disinterest in progressing their software and converted to Scratch Pro. I'm really excited with all the FX offered by Traktor and the use of up to 4 chained FX, but I too find some of the X1's default mappings a bit counter-intuitive and like the idea of the left side controlling FX for deck A and the right for deck B.

sure thing, ill try upload my current TSI tomorrow evening.

right now i have it all mostly mapped out for the right deck, which took quite a lot of work, so i havent gotten around to duplicating it all for the left deck quite yet.

the only thing im still having problems with is LED feedback when switching between the two "modes" as theres no way to have the controller "poll" the state of the different buttons without actually changing the state of the buttons for them to send their on/off state out to the X1.

for instance, if LEFT>NORMAL>3 button is lit while mapped to button 3 on FX1 (which is set to ON state), when the mapping of LEFT>NORMAL>3 switches to control button 3 on FX3, it stays lit even though that button in the software is in the OFF state until i hit the button which will then send the buttons on/off state to the controllers LED.

hopefully that makes sense...

Tech Wizard

Great! Thanks for letting me piggyback on all your hard work and giving me a starting point. If you want, just post what you have so far and I can duplicate for the other side and repost for you.

I'll be honest, the mapping possibilities are pretty daunting. In Torq everything is pretty easy to map, just right click the function in Torq you want mapped and then press the button on your MIDI controller. This makes it easy, but the possibilities are very limited.

I think I understand a little of what you mean about the LED states, but won't fully grasp it until I can experiment for myself.

sorry i disappeared for a bit (moving into a new apt) but ive been working on my TSI a bit and simplifying things so that im not having to remap all the FX buttons/knobs to a different FX unit in traktor, which also gets rid of the "LED on/off state" issue.

Im close to finishing both sides already so ill post it when i get to that point and you/anyone else can check it out. shouldnt be much longer!

Okay, I think I've finally got something worth sharing:

http://www.mediafire.com/?l8h2f2gnw4udemf

I explain how my browse knobs are mapped in this TSI here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...=108478&page=2

So the FX 2 buttons on both sides of the X1 engage "sample mode" for decks A and B respectively, while the FX 1 buttons switch FX units 3 and 4 into advanced mode, and remap the X1 to give full control over units 3 and 4.

You should also still be able to use all of the X1's shift controls to change which effects are loaded in chained or advanced mode as well.

FX units 1 and 2 are always Filter:92 and are controlled by the top Dry/Wet knobs and ON buttons on the X1 (use DJM mode), EXCEPT when the FX 1 button on either side of the X1 is engaged, in which case they control the ON/OFF and Dry/Wet of FX units 3 and 4 while they're in Advanced mode.

I've also solved most of the incorrect LED on/off state problems by adding "Send Monitor State" commands to all of the FX assign buttons on the X1.

I'm thinking about making a video to explain this better but I'm not sure when I'll have time to do so in the near future. It will make more sense once you start playing with it too.

This is some good info. I was just about to start mapping my X1 for 4 decks. Im running a Xone 1D and would like to have the X1 FX for all 4 decks.
    Traktor Pro, Kontrol X1, 2x Xone 1D, Pioneer DJM600, Technics 1200 M3D's, Toshiba Windows 7. Audio 2
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢) ┌∩┐