First club gig coming up.....need help retaining my sanity - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

Don't forget to give us a detailed update of the event !

theRoyal1.com
    | YouTube | MySpace

HP HDX18t Q9100 8GB DDR3 | Korg Zero 4 | 2x 1200mkII | QSC HPR152i + 181i

Quote Originally Posted by theRoyal1 View Post
    Don't forget to give us a detailed update of the event !

haha i was just about to when you posted this lol good timing

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    if the DJs are flaky, find new ones that aren't. as for the date, i wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the majority of the crowd won't have school the next day. as for the torpedo, well, take it as a compliment really. they see you as competition, so you're definitely doing something right. keep an eye on them, but act like you don't even know they exist, and just do what you do.

try to stay away from pre-planned setlists as much as you can. learn as many tracks as you can backward and forward, to the point where you don't have to rely on cues to know when something will fit. that, to me, is what DJing is all about. cuz i mean if you think about it, if all you're going to do is follow cues, i could make the same set in ableton and play it back with one click of a mouse and they'd sound the same, you know? DJing is all about the moment, live in it, feel it, and mix it. it's obviously in you somewhere, don't let fear of failure hold you back from being the SHIT.

good luck, but i know you'll kill it, because i see how dedicated you are.
    Much thanks man, sound advice

Okay so a LOTTA good news. #1 we got the date moved to saturday instead of sunday(yay!), the rival teen club and the owner of the venue got in this huge fight (over my event), and now that other teen club isnt going to get to do shows at our venue ever again! (they have to do it in this place like 3 cities over now lol) so basically we have a chance to do this again (and monopolize). also, the turnout is going well (200-ish confirmed attendees and around 400 maybes on fb) and we still have 2 weeks to go so we'll have a gangload of people by the time the show rolls around lol.

As for the DJs, my friend whos also running the event (unbeknownst to me) has had a NS7 for several months and we just had a mix session last night and he's a decent mixer so hes getting a 1/2 hour set, the main DJs gonna do 2 hours, and im doing the last hour/hour and a half (im just happy i didnt open lol) and i was concerned if the club could support both their standard setup along with my xponent if i brought it along, but apparently they can do pretty much anything so i think ill be okay. and as a bonus i get to go to the club this sunday (different event) for free and chill in the DJ booth and i get to play around with the equipment afterwards (its good to be the king).

Im still finalizing the DJ set, ive taken all your words into account and im trying to keep a little more flexible with my set (so i can keep my head on a swivel and adapt to the crowd) and im a huge fx whore so basically im trying to nail my timing down for the knobs, buttons, and cue points (SO MANY FRIGGEN CUE POINTS AGGGGGHHHHH)

oh and as a bonus i actually did a rough recording of the set list (about an hour long) would you guys want me to put it up so you guys can critique it?

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Tech Convert

definitely don't forget to have fun, thats why we all started DJing in the first place. Playing in a club to 300 is the same as playing to 3 of your friends at your house, except at your house your friends will tell you that you screwed up. lol
    http://www.thedubstepblog.com - check us out and like us on facebook!
    http://www.soundcloud.com/jedediah - my sound cloud

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Solus View Post
    oh and as a bonus i actually did a rough recording of the set list (about an hour long) would you guys want me to put it up so you guys can critique it?
    also if you guys think i have any particularly good mashups on my soundcloud (in the sig) then lemme know and ill cirtique them and see if i can fit them in that night

also i wanted to maybe make a mix CD (maybe do it with my best friend who also DJs) and give it out at the event (i got 2 weeks so im assuming i could get one done by then) any particular tips on that?

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Quote Originally Posted by jedediahd View Post
    definitely don't forget to have fun, thats why we all started DJing in the first place. Playing in a club to 300 is the same as playing to 3 of your friends at your house, except at your house your friends will tell you that you screwed up. lol
    hahaha i dunno bout that :P lol last friday me and a mate played to a crowd of 800 University students rofl some drunk came and turned off the soundsystem while we were djing haha the crowd started chanting "You fucked up" me and my mate just started cracking up and got the sound back up after 30 seconds then dropped a massive tune and the crowd went mental

Just have fun man even if you screw up just keep a cool head and look like your having the time of your life and everyone else will be too
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12