How'd you get your start? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    A friend asked if I wanted to do it. The equipment was crap. It was a teen club and The booth was up kinda high and stoopid kids would throw requests up. they would land on the TT's giving me all kinds of fits. It's been 20 years since then and one of those stoopid kids is in the bedroom asleep right now. She told all her friends then she was going to marry me and they all laughed at here.
    I'm going to marry you.

(If someone laughs its true)

In the mid/late nineties, i was in a quite a few bands. Playing guitar, piano and organ mainly. Then i started to mix some synths in with one of the bands. Around '98 i started getting more into House and D'nB. Started producing tracks in cakewalk. And i was passing out cd's at a party and was asked if i was a dj. I told him i could do a live show, but he wasn't interested. The next day i ordered a pair of belt drives and a gemini mixer. I started off just mixing all of my old records, mostly funk/soul and hip hop. Then i got a copy of Aphrodite's "Urban Jungle" and started collecting drum and bass. In the beginning i was probably ordering 20 records every week. In 2000 i saw "Open Decks" spot at a party, i was the only dj who showed for the spot. I got to play for 2 hours and loved every minute of it. It was early in the night so there weren't many people, but they were all dancing there asses off. From that point on there was no turning back. It took another 3 years before i got my first resident spot, but i played some crazy ass shows in that time, BARN RAVE!!!!!

Was a drummer for 10 years, and a music geek for longer - most of my stuff was .mp3 as I was a CompSci bod by degree, so a bit of an early adopter of things like that.

Moved into a small flat with my then g/f (now wife) and didn't have anywhere to set my kit up so was suffering from musical frustration - I always loved music, and wanted to share my love of it with other, but didn't want to DJ as

a) saying "I'mas DJ" seemed really wanky
    b) I didn't want to rebuy all of the .mp3s I had on vinyl.

Mate from the local pub (Oli Larner, who many of the Bristol music lot will probably know) introduced me to Traktor, and I got a BCD3000 from the missus for Xmas, so I started messing about with music. Discovered Puple Radio from my time on the Big Chill Forum, did a few mixes for them, and then started playing houseparties and then moved on to the Big Chill Bar in London ... haven't really looked back ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12