Digital Jockey 2 or VCI-100
    Tech Convert

Default Digital Jockey 2 or VCI-100

Hi dudes

I wan't to buy one of those to controllers but i don't know which wil work best with Traktor Pro, i already have a USB Maya44 soundcard so there won't be any problems buying the VCI-100, instead of the Reloop controller.
    Please give me a advise

If youve already got a soundcard i'd go for the VCI. The reloop DJ2 controller edition, without the soundcard doesnt have touch sensetive jog wheels.
    The one up; DJ2 interface edition, has both the soundcard & touch sensetive jog wheels. Its a great bit of kit, and about the same price as the VCI-100. Having said that, the support for the VCI on here far outweighs the support for the digital jockey.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Convert

Default Go with the VCI-100

I agree with Flash... I have a reloop IE2 edition and have had it about 1 month. It's a good piece of kit and I like it as hardware and the layout is nice and it feels solid. My only gripe is it sucks with Traktor. There is very very little, if at all no support for it which is infuriating. I've not managed to get mine working fully.

Depending on your budget I would go for the VCI-100 SE if you can get one tho I've never tried one myself there is at least plenty of support and peeps out there that can help. It's also very commonly supported by various software.

With the reloop, be prepared to learn how map/script because there's virtually nothing available for other software. So if you want plenty support mappings, advice etc.. go for a vestax. The reloop 2 is a good piece of kit for the money but that's about it. I'm considering selling mine already. For nearly the same price of reloop 2 and a pro retail software package, I coulda got a vci 300 with serato.
    Last edited by kronos; 05-09-2010 at 06:37 AM.

I got the Reloop controller edition2 & I love it. I was looking at the vestax & I know I will get coated here but I thought the faders we pretty flimsy, The only way I'd get one is if it was modded, like the ones on this site. In my opinion, a lot of vestax products are overated (the VCI'S being the exception). Vestax make good mixers but outside if this I'm not much of a fan.

Like someone said, the downside of reloop is the customer support is not as strong as vestax on here but remember, this is due to sites like this & not vestax itself why it has so much support.

Default Try them all out...

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    I agree with Flash... I have a reloop IE2 edition and have had it about 1 month. It's a good piece of kit and I like it as hardware and the layout is nice and it feels solid. My only gripe is it sucks with Traktor. There is very very little, if at all no support for it which is infuriating. I've not managed to get mine working fully.

Depending on your budget I would go for the VCI-100 SE if you can get one tho I've never tried one myself there is at least plenty of support and peeps out there that can help. It's also very commonly supported by various software.

With the reloop, be prepared to learn how map/script because there's virtually nothing available for other software. So if you want plenty support mappings, advice etc.. go for a vestax. The reloop 2 is a good piece of kit for the money but that's about it. I'm considering selling mine already. For nearly the same price of reloop 2 and a pro retail software package, I coulda got a vci 300 with serato.
    All you have to do is load ther mapping & your up & away on the reloop, so I'm not sure why you were having problems.

Also, you are right about the touch sensitivity, I didn't know the vestax VCI had that & that maybe one of the factors influencing your choice. I was hovering between a VCI & the reloop as like I stated earlier, I only like the modded one you see on here with the arcade buttons. To be honest, I would have been more than happy whatever I got (I'm loving this controller) be it a numark stealth/omni, Reloop Control2 or Vestax. coming from a vinyl background, none of these will compete for the feel on vinyl but for what they are, they do the job well.
    Last edited by Calitron; 05-16-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling....

Tech Mentor

I've had a Reloop Digital Jockey 2 interface edition for about a week now

i tried a lot of controllers in sapphires london.

my thoughts

the reloop felt better than the vestax
    the reloop buttons are bigger an better spaced and there are more of them
    the reloop controller is same on both sides.

the vestax had smaller but rubberised buttons, ok spacing but not the best. the light on it looked a bit christmas , too many different colours.

VESTAX (and i know they sell them on this excellent forum) ARE A FINGERPRINT MAGNET. they always look like someone ate their dinner off them check out any video of vestax ever

reloop support SUCKs totally
    their are a few maps an a couple of guys doing mappings. but if i want to get in to it i'll have to create my own mappings.

Vestax seems to be weapon of choice for this forum, and so loads of mapping are about.

reloop feels more like pioneer.

they do 2 controllers one has an audio interface, but that's not only difference. the audio interface one has touch sensitive controllers.

I bought the audio interface one (which means i have touch sensitive jogs) but i may still buy an extra audio card (NI audio 2 DJ) getting both controller and audio card, is still lots cheaper that the vestax deck.

i get a slight low volume hum on the headphone out on the Reloop DJ2 . it doesn't turn up if you turn it up. its kind of like if you plugged some headphones into the TV.

but the common miss conception it that the reloop interface edition is only bought for the the audio interface. as i said it has a few extra features

also if you use the built in audio interface. it had a tone control for the headphones. a mic and line input with volumes and a deck ground. and a cross fade curve adjustment.

on build, button spacing, amount of buttons, and non fingerprint, the Reloop wins.
    on being part of a community and getting support vestax wins

I have said it before here: If you want to spend your time mapping and trying new maps and re-doing your maps again and geting a "MIDI headache" everyday instead of playing music (which is what djing is about) and also want to be part of "the community" (a kind of folks that enjoy more tweeking their controllers than playing music) get the VCI-100.

If you just want to plug the controller, which is already designed for Traktor, use the pre-mapped factory settings (which in the reloop are more than enough for djing as opposite to the Vextax) and enjoy the music and spend your time finding good tunes and playing them, just get the Reloop. You also save money and feel proud of not being a sheep doing and buying things only cause Ean makes an article about it.

Now start throwing tomatos at me, hahaha!
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Tech Wizard

Hey. Im in the market for a MIDI controller. I don't need one with an audio interface (already have one).

I was going to go for the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Controller Edition as it looks like the best value for that price point. Is there any other controllers that might be better? I can actually spend more (up-to around £350)

I already have a korgPadKontrol for trigger cue points. I really need something with a crossfader and plenty of buttons and knobs for triggering effects and controlling transport.

What i don't see the point in doing is paying more for one with an interface if i don't need it. Any suggestions?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dups View Post
    Hey. Im in the market for a MIDI controller. I don't need one with an audio interface (already have one).

I was going to go for the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Controller Edition as it looks like the best value for that price point. Is there any other controllers that might be better? I can actually spend more (up-to around £350)

I already have a korgPadKontrol for trigger cue points. I really need something with a crossfader and plenty of buttons and knobs for triggering effects and controlling transport.

What i don't see the point in doing is paying more for one with an interface if i don't need it. Any suggestions?
    make sure you have a go on them first, see them in a shop

I have a reloop Interface edition, but i am getting an other soundcard. The difference between Reloop DJ2 controller and interface is a bit more than just built in audio card. even if you don't use the audio card you get "touch sensitive jog wheels" and "crossfader curve adjustment on the front" its listed as having more configurable controls.

The vestax was very fingerprints, and the controls were a little close together. but it felt solid. but the lights are a bit 'lots of different colours' . rubberised knobs though a little small. has decent support/user base

Reloop has better spacing more knobs. feels solid. but Tech support sucks.

also Reloop is same on both sides (symmetrical) vestax is different buttons on either side.