X1 Button Rearranging? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Very brave! But no way in hell i'm smashing open mine (when it arrives). Good luck with your modding.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by boykott View Post
    do you know what you could do? grow a sack and just adapt to the controller the way it is. fuck sake.
    not very productive.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

It was very easy to take the unit apart. A few screws (including the one hidden beneath the Production label).

Removing the text from the rubber pads was very easy as well. Just use a Dremmel tool with a fine grit sanding drum. Use a very HIGH SPEED setting and apply minimal pressure to the pad where the words are. The high speed will create enough heat to take the print off without marking up the surface. Keep a cotton rag handy with a little alcohol (isopropyl pref) to wipe the pad clean as the words melt away.

I of course had no desire to remove the labeling from the front panel. Using the blank overlay from Ni and labels works great. Also NI has the blank in a pdf doc to download. A little time in photoshop I made some cool overlays for various setups I use. Had them printed at Fedex/Kinkos on very thin pvc, durable and waterproof, an added bonus is they are static cling decals so changing them out is easy. They ran about $12 a square foot so I did 3 layouts per sq ft (4"x10). Hardest part was die cutting the button holes with a punch. Knob holes were easy as I took the knobs off, used a single hole punch so only the knob stem needed a hole and not the whole knob.

A friend is using it right now for a series of shows. Once I have it back I will post some more shots with the custom decals. Til then....
    "MAY THE FUNK BE WITH YOU!"

Well done sir, waiting for the pics.

This is awesome - great job and great pics
    SC | MC

That's awesome, so would you say the rubber pads are easy enough to re-arrange? And how was re-assembly? If it wasn't too hard i may consider this...

Rearranging the pads should be easy enough, you would just have to snip the connecting rubber of each group. The backside of the front plate (inner assembly frame) would hold each pad in place even if seperated.

The assembly is very basic, if you have any technical skill or experience it should be a piece of cake. The only minor thing is when you first disassemble it you have to get the screw under the product label on the back (the one above the white serial number label). Just push on it a little with your finger and you should feel the screw hole. Take a small razor and cut out the hole enough to get the screwdriver in and seated. Thats about the only issue.

Good luck.
    "MAY THE FUNK BE WITH YOU!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123