Using another device (footpedal) to trigger a modifier
    Tech Convert

Default Using another device (footpedal) to trigger a modifier

Hey everybody,
    I have a sustain pedal that I use with my axiom 49. I was wondering if it was possible to map it such that when the sustain pedal is down (connected to my axiom 49 keyboard), I could use it as a modifier on my Vestax Spin.

Example:
    Vestax Spin Pedal Off (Normal Scratching)

Vestax Spin Pedal Down (FX Knob)

Another question I have is: could somebody explain to me the different channels? (I think by default my midi controllers are set to channel 10?) Does this mean that if I save a different preset on the controller in channel 9, I can reprogram all the keys and it won't interfere with the other mapping.

Example:
    Can I control Decks 1&2 under preset #1 (which is mapped through channel 10)
    And then set preset #2 on my keyboard (which would be mapped under channel 9) to control the exact same things, except with Decks 3&4, and traktor would see this as a completely new mapping?

FINALLY is there a better way to edit midi mappings? Sometimes it feels tedious in traktor's small window. I know that people on these forums have been kind enough to make mappings for us, but I feel to feel truly comfortable with your hardware you need to program your own mappings.

Thank you so much!

Assuming the foot pedal sends a middle message of some kind (say note on/off), and it appears as a controller in the traktor list, this should be possible.

I believe if you set midi in/out ports to all, you should be able to share modifiers across controllers, or thats what has been suggested. I've not tried this myself, but you could give it a go and post up your results.

However, you would also have to have ONE tsi file with both controllers mappings in it, because I know for a fact that modifiers aren't shared across tsi files, even if they related to the SAME controller, let alone a different one.

This in itself can cause problems if both controllers share some notes or cc params.

So the bottom line is, its possible with some jiggery pokery, but could cause side effects. Use with caution!
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

As for different midi channels in general...

Each controller will be set to work on a specific midi channel, and this isn't something thats usually changed unless you have direct hardware support, or use something like bomes to change midi channels.

I'm also not sure how traktor handles a single controller changing midi channels on the fly.

I'm not familiar with your controller, but if the different presets cause the buttons to issue different notes/cc, then you don't need to worry about midi channels at all, simply map the new notes and buttons to decks c and d.

If on the other hand, you're talking about the axiom's presets changing the spins functionality from a-> and b->d then you need to use a mixture of my first post, and modifiers to achieve this result.

As for the editting window.. its a nightmare. You can easily delete bits you don't intend to, and the window is way too small. Just make regular backups and be careful!
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

the padKontrol has the same option of being able to attach a pedal. It works great, and acts exactly like it's just another midi note added to the controller. Your modifier idea should work just fine as long as you midi map it correctly.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2