Advanced LED mapping - APC40
    Tech Wizard

Default Advanced LED mapping - APC40

Hey guys.

To be honest, I don't think this can be done cause I've been trying for hours but as a last ditch effort, I'm asking here if anyone can help... it's worked before!

So I've mapped my APC40 with Traktor. I've got the lights on the LEDs across the 40 button pad all lit up but I'm wanting to take it a bit further.

Example: I have two of the buttons setup to turn on FX1 & 2 on deck A. I have both constantly lit up as amber. What I ideally want is for the button to then start blinking amber to show when they are turned on.

Same with my "activate loop" button. I want it to start blinking to confirm to me the looping is active instead of just contantly being lit regardless of whether it's on or off.

I've been trying this for ages so if anyone with an APC40 has any ideas for me to try, I'm more than happy to hear them.

Thanks!

Tech Convert

Hi,

Not too hard actually, Thought id respond with some help and attach my tsi file with exactly what youre after. Sadly on one responded for me so had to work it out.

I have taken some liberty of remmapping a big chunk of somones tsi file i took from here. cant remember the posters name, so credit to them, whoever they may be. Attached is that persons pic of their set up I used for reference

Master button needs to be "on".

Some of the switches flash randomly first up, just hit them to reset them to their default before you start.

This is a 2 deck set up

deck A

Top first row of 4, left is the sync buton, cue button, play button and then cycle through hot cue forward button.
    Below that 4 is, loop in/out, bend back, bend forward and then cycle through hot cues backwards.

Deck B is a mirror image of deck A.

the lot of 6 below the cue cycle buttons are the eq kills. Green for off, red for killed.

bottom left hand corner and right hand corner are your flashing FX on/off buttons.

Fader 1 and 2 for chanel 1 and 2 volume.

crfosfader is crossfader

The whole FX Section is the same as per the PDF except knobs A and B are filters for deck a and B C and D are for Gain

The cue knob and master fader below control the headphone cue volume and mix

Solo buttons over fader one and two are for headphone cue on/off and the rec arm buttons directly underneath are to turn filter on and off.

Still looking for a better way to set this out, but it works now for a bit of funn and you get the feedback tongs you need.

Tech Guru

The key you're looking for is the value you send to the APC. Midi is in the format Channel_Note#_Value. In Traktor, the value is determined by "midi range" in the output command.
    The APC responds to 1=solid green, 2=blinking green, 3=solid red, 4=blinking red, 5=solid amber, 6=blinking amber, 7-127=solid green.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Hey boxofdirt,

Thanks for the response. That's sounds exactly what I'm looking for. The only problem is when I downloaded the tsi attached, it didn't have any MIDI Mapping. Is that maybe because were running different versions.

If you could do me a really big favour and type in here what your setup is for those kill switches then I should be able to figure out the rest from there.

Re Zac, hey man. Thx for your reply too however I understand that part of it. It's getting to the button to change colour to react to on/off that I'm having trouble with. Boxofdirt has a setup where his kill switches are Green when off, Red when on. That's what I need to figure out how to do.

EDIT: It's cool! Ignore me!! I've finally figured it out. Your right boxofdirt... it isn't really that hard is it!
    Last edited by Endy101; 05-27-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Tech Convert

lol i know when you figure it out, it opens up your APC to map what ever you want.

Its surprising how important feedback is, isnt it?

go nuts!

Tech Student

so how do you do it?

Tech Convert

Does the tsi not work for you also?

It's 6am and I'm on the way to the office so can't post screenshots. Will do so some stage later this evening if you're still unsure.

Was actually thinking about creating a tsi that shows all the led behavioural options so people could use that as a reference.

Tech Convert

I have been able to get LED feedback for the APC, but it's a pain in the ass and I'm probably going to try out bomes soon. But here is an example of getting Play/Pause to work:

Note this process has only been implememnted on the large grid button. The track select and the smaller buttons perform differently. I am going to use bomes to translate these to operate differently somehow.

You need to add a midi in Play/Pause note and set it to a specific button using learn.

Then add a midi out that is set to the same button and configure it as follows:
    I forget which one is which, Controller range or midi range, but set the top one to 0 and 1 corresponding to on or off.
    Then set the bottom one to 3 and 1, in that order. This means the led will be red when off and green when on.
    Then check the invert box. This is used by the send monitor update.

Then add a midi in "Send Monitor Update" and set it to the same button. Check invert as well.

Now press the button to see if it works.

You can set all of the grid buttons up in this fashion, as I have, but it is a HUGE pain in the ass. I have read a little bit about bomes and read that you can customize the messages being sent and received from the APC. For instance instead of sending an on and off message every time a button is pressed (This is what's happening). It can translate one button push into a toggle that will update the LEDs appropriately without having to the Send Monitor Update trick. I will look into this and possible post a walk through with some tsi's regarding this issue, because it sucks to figure this ish out.

-Kodez