The free VST(i) thread

Default The free VST(i) thread

I was thinking it would be cool for people to share some of their favorite free VST's and VSTi's, especially because a lot of the free ones are, well, garbage.

I was looking for a glitchy vst to get some cool effects to use for transitions and builds, and I came across this VST called "Glitch." It actually has a variety of effects with a simple control set up and I've been getting some real interesting sounds out of it.

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

And for all the nay-sayers and free-stuff haters, here is a sample of a song I'm working on. At 8 seconds in, you'll see what I mean (you don't have to download it, but you might have to disable the sound on that stupid ad):

http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/19282466/file.html

Edit: Holy Shit! This VST has an effect that I've been looking for forever, and I didn't even know what it was called. If you automate/move the amount of the 'Crusher' effect while something is playing, you get this really odd sound. Maaaaaan I'm pumped!

(See this cheesy example: http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/18408446/file.html)

I know you guys have some free VST's that you use that are worth mentioning!
    Last edited by Lambox; 07-06-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

That last effect you have in your edit sounds like a ring mod, or mullholland drive... one of the two

Tech Mentor

...definately impressive for a free VST though. MAC Version?

Check out TAL Plugins - think all of them are free and there's some wicked ones in there... The TAL filter is especially good

....Mac + PC too

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    Check out TAL Plugins - think all of them are free and there's some wicked ones in there... The TAL filter is especially good

....Mac + PC too

Couldn't agree more, TAL makes some bad ass VST's that do the business

mda and kjaerhus and Gvst all do bundles of free effects, stillwell do some fantastic compressors

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    ...definately impressive for a free VST though. MAC Version?
    No Mac version
    Only thing I have found close to Glitch for the Mac is Sugar Bytes - Effectrix which unfortunately are not free.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

dBlue Glitch is THE VST. Friggin' awesome. Some other indispensible VSTs are:

TapeStop
    Instajungle
    SupaTrigga (obviously!)
    Daft Funk (Another awesome one)

And +1 from me on the TAL VSTs.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I just found this on Music Radar...http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...the-net-255880

Quote Originally Posted by musicradar.com
    This is a constantly updated collection of free music software downloads - the best VST effects/instruments, other plug-ins and freeware apps on the net.

Assembled from more than 12 months of (almost) weekly round-ups, here you'll find everything from virtual synths, EQ, compression and distortion effects to playable desk fans and meowing instruments - all 100% free.
    I haven't even got past the first few pages, and i'm already thinking it's time to clean house.