New gear, what to get ?
    Tech Convert

Default New gear, what to get ?

Hey guys, first of all I'm new here, so I hope this is the first of many future posts from me !

Anyway..

I'v been DJ'ing with only mouse & hot-keys for the last 1½ years. But this obviously limits my abilities by a lot. So I'v decided to buy my self some hardware to progress and become a better DJ.

I'm a big fan of Traktor Pro, and it's the only program I have ever used, so at this point I don't feel like picking up some new software.

But here is the big question; what should I get ?

So far what I'v come up with is the:

Vestax VCI-100 + Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol X1 (for effects mainly) + Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ

Would this be a good setup ? and could there be any problems getting all of the hardware and software to work together ?

I have allready tried the X1, and it seems solid in many ways. But what about the VCI-100 ? Does it have a 'low-budget' feel to it (what's it made out of) ? And does the Audio 4 DJ provide a good Audio interface, that can handle bigger soundsystems ?

A lot of questions I know, but when spending a lot of money, and venturing into a new level of DJ'ing, I want to be sure I don't make some newbie error, that could have been avioded

Thanks !
    //

Welcome to the forums.

The VCI is a great piece of hardware that is definitely Pro. You should really consider the Arcade or Se from the store as it comes with the firmware and overlay (plus the Arcade has the wonderful buttons).

The X1 is a great add on, but can always be done later, as the VCI mapping from DJTT has great effects control.

As for the sound card, that all depends. If you will eventually go DVS, then the A4DJ is a good choice. But if you are strictly a controllerist, the A2DJ has all you need.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

^ what you just described is an awesome set up with tons of buttons and knobs to control everything you need. The VCI-100 is a great all-in-one solution. You can really do ALOT and I mean ALOT with just the VCI-100. I think the added benefit of an X1 is that it eliminates the use of shift functions and having one button on a VCI do multiple things (it can get confusing). The VCI is made of sturdy metal - not like a plastic hercules mixer. It's fairly light and small so its def. no monster. The only thing that feels a bit cheap on them are the knobs. The 40 dollar upgrade to the rubber ones on this site are a for sure upgrade. They're not needed - but look cool and feel good.

Not sure if you can just use and Audio 2 instead of an Audio 4. I have an Audio 8. Regardless they work great together.

If you have the money go for it. Maybe start with just the VCI and add the X1 later. This will let you play with the VCI and determine what your needs are. Something that I've been looking at also is a Xone DX. Its still too new to know any issues with it - but it looks like a great one package solution - just no touch sensitive jog wheels. One huge advantage the VCI has.

to answer your quesiton: This will work great together!

Tech Convert

Thanks for the fast replies !

The reason why I'm allready looking into the X1, is what you allready said, that it adds more effect options (which is definitely something I miss a lot) !

Now about the VCI-100 and X1, does it require a lot of mapping/tweaking/whatever to get both of them to work together, or can you simply have both eqipped at the same time, with full functionality from both ?

Tech Guru

import the .tsi from this site and the X1 already comes with an NI mapping. They appear in traktor as two seperate devices so there is no issue. There are few decent mappings on the NI site for the X1. So essentially you could use a tsi from here for the VCI, and if you see somethign you like on the NI site you can add the tsi for JUST the X1 into your traktor and be good to go.