Kontrol X1 as a stand alone controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kontrol X1 as a stand alone controller

Hi,

firstly, I know that Kontrol X1 is designed as an extra unit especially for DVS to operate FX sections. But I would like to ask how much he can replace full equipment controller like VCI or Digital Jockey?

One of the problems is lack of the faders, but it is possible to use those from the mixer. Similar problem according to EQ can be solved also by using it on the mixer.

In this case is it possible to feel free and create good mix by using Kontrol X1 + mixer.

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!

Tech Wizard

It's possible, but you don't have a jog. To compensate this you can put load markers on the first beat (in traktor), and work with more hot cues so you can jump to parts quick without having to use a jog wheel. The only thing is that you can't beatmatch so you have to sync everything.
    Macbook Pro, VCI-100 FW 1.3, Traktor Pro, Audio 2 DJ

It's all about the house music, and it always will be.

Tech Guru

^^ This.

If you look on youtube that is how Hawtin plays. If you don't need jogs it works GREAT. Also if you are staying close to the same BPM where you don't need pitch slider. The X1 has buttons for this - but it takes a few seconds to adjust....much slower that just sliding up and down. For me personally it works awesome when playing EDM and music that I have set cue points for. When playing Top 40 or songs on the fly I would prefer some jogs.

Thanks for the answers. The problem that you both mentioned can be in some way solved by Shift+browse knob. Then you can seek in current track.

I'm still considering this, because I can find used VCI-100 in similar price to X1+bag.

If you already own the mixer, then I think the X1 is a better option. Firstly because it's new, meaning if something breaks you know where to go. Secondly, the added functionality of the VCI is redundant because of the functions on the mixer. Thirdly, the VCI is much larger = less portability and it's harder to find a place for it in the tight club booth.

One thing is that the left over knobs on the VCI-100 could be mapped as super knobs or some oddball function that you like. The kontrol x1 seems to have all knobs 'full'.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBoy View Post
    Thanks for the answers. The problem that you both mentioned can be in some way solved by Shift+browse knob. Then you can seek in current track.

I'm still considering this, because I can find used VCI-100 in similar price to X1+bag.
    Its not as fun as it sounds. I started using a Xone 42 and two X1's and went back to the VCI for the jogs.

The seek function that is set to shift + browse is actually a beatjump command. So you can set it to jump 8 beats, 4, 2, 1/2 a beat, 1/8th, etc. There are also two buttons that seek fwd and backwd 1 beat. So you can seek thru a track with either. The problem happens when you want to cue a song from a specific point.

If you have the rotary set to fine or 1/8th it does NOTHING while the song is playing. So you have to hit stop, then scroll back, set a cue, press play, make sure your good, then cue again, then play it. Man thats a mission compared to a jogwheel.

Like I said previously. If its strictly EDM music, its not as bad because you can beatjump back and most of the songs you can just start on a beat. But with top 40/hip-hop things are a little different.

The only other way it works well, is if you've set cue points on all your songs. Then it works great. No need to seek

Tech Mentor

actually it does have "jogs." It has 4 encoders, and jogs are just that encoders. I'm working a a good mapping for the x1, 4 decks, midi fighter, and some super knobs that have fx combos. i'll up it up when i'm done with it.

Tech Guru

Adding a VCI to an X1 isnt completely redundant. although the x1 takes care of mixing functions, you could easily add a vci for controls of decks 3/4 (or vice versa).

And yea... it does have *jogs*

You could also use the *jogs* as pitch control, for manual beatmatching, this gets rid of the issue with the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBoy View Post
    One of the problems is lack of the faders, but it is possible to use those from the mixer. Similar problem according to EQ can be solved also by using it on the mixer.
    When I use my X1 as a dedicated controller I just use the 4 knobs as my EQ control instead of for effects. Instead of a fader your volume control is just the bottom knob (which as a mix DJ I kinda like more). Plus you have all those buttons you can map to kill. There's the whole midi section so you can put FX on one and EQ on the other.

And yes you can cue just fine, but again you'll have to do some custom mapping. Just map your encoders to the seek position control. Set it as encoder/relative and adjust the sensitivity. There's two encoders per deck, and there's the shift function. So you can set one up for general browsing with a higher sensitivity, and one for fine control with a small sensitivity.

My setup is a pair of X1s and a 4 channel mixer. Works fine as I've gridded and set cuepoints all over the tracks I play (and do so whenever I get something new). If I feel like not using sync, the mapping is as follows on midi mode :
    FX1/2 FX1/2 = deck select focus A/B/C/D (with led feedback)
    browse 1/browse 1 click = scroll tree view/pop tree view folder
    browse 2/browse 2 click/shift click = scroll tracks/load selected/toggle browser view
    loop 1/loop 2 = tempo adjust "wide"/tempo adjust "tight" - depends on tempo range, but remains 0.01 tight at 25%
    right hotcues = tempo bend for all 4 decks.

Beatmatching with that looks like tuning a broken radio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast