Midi mixer. Monitor plug?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Midi mixer. Monitor plug?

Hey,

So I've been looking around for abit now and I haven't been able to find a decently priced mixer with midi capabilities.

The reason I'm asking is because for my new (small gig) rig, I would like to use 2 Xone:1D as decks. But I need a mixer aswell since I wouldn't be able to monitor my mixing with just the 2 1Ds.

Or would buying 1 1D and 1 2D solve my problem?

Any ideas? Or is there another route I can go.

Thanks guys.

Jonathan.
    Last edited by looneygeorge; 05-05-2010 at 08:38 PM.

An NI Audio2 would let you monitor your mix, as well as having a great sound card to output for your masters.
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

How would I set up the audio2?

Neurotique refers to internal mixing, which basically means using a midi controller to control the 'mixer' section of Traktor, instead of using the 'traditional' external mixer.
    The Audio2 just plugs into the pc by usb, and has one output for your headphones, and one master output to plug into an amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    Neurotique refers to internal mixing, which basically means using a midi controller to control the 'mixer' section of Traktor, instead of using the 'traditional' external mixer.
    The Audio2 just plugs into the pc by usb, and has one output for your headphones, and one master output to plug into an amplifier.
    Ahh right. Thankyou.

Does the Audio2 do this plug and play or do I need to set something up in Traktor?

I don't think it's plug and play, but installation should be very straightforward. Details of the A2DJ can be found HERE.
    Please note that the A2DJ is NOT a midi controller and CANNOT be used to control the internal mixer.. (just to be certain that it is clear to you ) It's only an audio device with two seperate stereo outputs..

edit: oh and yeah, if you buy before june 30th you get Traktor Duo for free (if you don't own traktor yet)

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    I don't think it's plug and play, but installation should be very straightforward. Details of the A2DJ can be found HERE.
    Please note that the A2DJ is NOT a midi controller and CANNOT be used to control the internal mixer.. (just to be certain that it is clear to you ) It's only an audio device with two seperate stereo outputs..
    Yes I know

I might try to find a small midicontroller to solve my crossfader issue, as I don't need the extra stuff on 2D.

Thanks for your help dude!

I think I found my setup, it is a bit (a lot) bigger than I originally planned for.

1 x DDM4000 Digital 4 channel DJ Mixer
    2 x Xone:1D Digital Decks.
    1 x Audio 2 DJ
    1 x Macbook

How does this sound? This really sucks as I am starting to get second thoughts about the Xones.

what do you think?

thats alot of midi... the ddm is a digital mixer meaning you can connect it to your mac via usb, then connect the ddm to am amp/receiver and your set, making the audio 2 redundant. everthing on the ddm is midi assignable meaning your can remap everything to do anything your software is able to do. it also has it's own effects onboard, so you wouldn't even have to use your softwares effects if you didnt want to...

why is it you want the 1d's? are you looking to do 4 deck or 2 deck mixing? are you just starting out now or do you have experience in djing (if just starting, start with 2 decks build your style then buy more gear)? Dont let the gear aspect consume you, other wise you will never get any mixing done (been down that path...) do you want to mix within the software or send the decks out to an external mixer for EQing and crossfader use (if you even need a crossfader)? do you want jog wheels or are you going to prep your tracks and use sync so you can focus on other things like cue point juggling, looping and effects combinations? will you be globe trotting with your gear anytime soon (if not size is really not an issue it's nothing to through a bunch of bulky gear in the trunk to head over to the local pub or buddies house in the next town, given not ideal but totally do able)?

I am not trying to discourage you in the slightest, just save you time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Creamation View Post
    thats alot of midi... the ddm is a digital mixer meaning you can connect it to your mac via usb, then connect the ddm to am amp/receiver and your set, making the audio 2 redundant

this is incorrect. the ddm is a mixer with midi capabilities, there is no soundcard in it, and there is no usb plug. it has midi in/out jacks, and a usb to midi converter is needed if you want to use the midi on the ddm.

you still need a soundcard with the ddm.

to say the ddm mixer is a digital mixer is correct, but in the sense the components use digital circuitry to mix the audio being pumped into it...this is something separate from its midi function.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast