VCI-300 or Numark Mixdeck? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

i've got the VCI-300 and it's very easy to use with traktor - look for robinkirchoff's mappings in the controller mappings section and itch is lots of fun to play around with and intuitive (although a bit basic).

however bear in mind that it's a bit of a waste of money to buy the VCI-300 and use it with traktor - you'd probably be better off buying a VCI-100 and an audio interface (NI audio 2 DJ should be fine for starters and has a much better output quality than the VCI-300's internal soundcard) - the VCI-100 also comes bundled with traktor LE which gives a cheap upgrade path to traktor pro.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys.

I must say the NS7 looks like an impressive piece of kit. Im finding it for $1,150 online. It looks awesome. It is a bit expensive though, and I wasn't really getting this setup with scratching as a main purpose. I would like to play around with it, but its really not my main concern. In that sense I feel like the NS7 is a bit overkill.
    The VCI 300 seems very basic though, but perhaps it has all I need?

Tech Convert

Looking more at the Xone DX, which also seems like a high quality piece, it retails at a similar price point as the NS7. If the ability to scratch wasn't important to me, what is it Xone DX brings to the table that the VCI 300 does not?

Thanks!

You could come to the dark side and just get the VCI-100.. ?
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

The main appeal for most of the dx is the four full channels, with four channel eq's and faders, so if you see yourself mixing up four songs or cuing samples four channels might be the way to go...Although I think this would be better suited for you The VCI 300 with the complementary effects controllers, the vfx1, check it out, it's pretty all inclusive an will run about $1,000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XRyGSOtrYo

Tech Convert

Thanks.

I've found a slightly used NS7 with an Oddyssey case for $1k, and I'm really tempted. All I read about the NS7 is nothing but praise..

If you do, consider grabbing the NSFX unit too. Good luck

Tech Wizard

bear in mind if you ever want to play out the NS7 weighs an absolute ton - to call it portable is a real stretch. if you've got the cash to spend i would go for the DX - that way you get the 4 channels, a great soudcard and a built-in FX section - esp if you're not interested in scratching....

Hey,

I know I am a bit late, but I thought I would add my two cents about the MixDeck (if it can be any help).

The Problems
    Thought I would list this first since they aren't that many and they all getting resolved. The crossfader is a little "wonky;" the sound volume dips (noticeably) whe the xfader is at the middle position. This isn't a problem on ALL unites, just most (from the forums I read). Numark will fix it for free (including shipping) and get back to you in a week. Haven't sent it in yet, have too many gigs lined up... but will soon.

MixDeck and Serato
    Works GREAT! I use Traktor 99% of the time; only use Serato when I have to Vj (use Video-SL). Its great except you can't control video when relative CD mode for Serato; when in CD mode all the MiDi buttons on the decks don't send out midi commands. There are two work arounds:
    1) Use Internal mode and change MixDeck to MiDi setting. Can't scratch though because no timecode used... not a problem if you aren't a turntables, little annoying though to scrub through tracks.

2) Buy a small midi controller (like the Kontrol X-1 or the Denon DCH-100) use the top controls of X-1 to control the Serato audio FX/Loops & the bottom to control the Video FXs and Video crossfader (which is only controllable via midi). Might sound annoying to work with two crossfaders but actually makes some pretty unique performances (where the audio of one track is playing with video of another).

MixDeck and Traktor
    Great. The default TSI is a little not-thought-out in certain areas. But I re-mapped some of the buttons and added some functionality, just working off the built in MixDeck template and did so in less than an hour. If you want I can post the TSI.

Overall
    Keyword: UNIVESAL!!! This is a great "first buy for people" because if you don't like traktor you can buy a Serato and use it or if you want to move to video, its possible. You can't find another system that allows for type of "growth." (w/o reinvesting a bunch of money)

And if you every plan on doing any mobile gigs (weddings, etc), this is a great buy... you want know how many times I get a guy asking me to play a CD he got from his car (usually ethnic music, lol). And its a great reassurance to you clients to know that you have a back system, if the computer crashes.

Tech Mentor

If i was not having to haul gear around then the NS7, but as I do and i like the cut a bit then the vci-300 and itch is good, If it worked with traktor and i could use the vci-300 sound card then i would no problem.

My style is old skool coz i'm a old fool and dont use many fx's so vci-300 until i break it!!
    MBP i7. Denon MC4000. Traktor Scratch A6. DDJ SX Serato DJ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12