firewire benefits?

Default firewire benefits?

so, keep hearing stuff about firewire, toying with getting a new soundcard soon to replace my numark io (shameful).

was wondering if getting a firewire express slot card like this would be a good idea along with a firewire card?

pros, cons?

thanks

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Dont get any old firewire card, you want a good quality ones - anything with a texas instruments chipset is good

Also firewire is more stable than USB and generally speaking when you go up to a firewire soundcard the quality of the audio components increase too.

cool, so i can get away with using the express slot on my laptop to add some holes. sweet

what's a good soundcard? how about the Echo AudioFire 2? i want some midi ins aswell as the sound bits.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

the Echo Audiofire series D/A converters are the best in the price bracket, anything better and the price jump is nothing short of HUGE.

The only downside with them is that the headphone out could be a bit louder i your a deaf dj - if your hearing is in good order then the output will be fine though Also if your using in ear's then the output will be plenty loud no matter how deaf you are.

I have the Stanton Scratchamp from the Final Scratch 2 which I bought some years ago. Still works fine and I'm happy with the audio. I'm sure the Scratchamp Open was on sale recently for much cheapness. $100 (US) or something.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I have a Presonus Firebox, you can get one for about 200$, usually just over hence it being left out of the soundcard roundup today.
    I went for firewire cause vci + midifighter = usb ports filled :/ + I have built in firewire 400 and 800 ports on my mbp.
    I'm very happy with the firebox, great sound, low latency, etc.
    However, I really only play in the bedroom / at my university's DJ Club meetings.
    That said, I've read stuff saying that it works great for house parties, small bars / clubs too. Not sure how it would work for a large club, but it's a very solid unit.
    Might want to get another firewire cable for it though, the one it comes with is somewhat stiff which I could see being a problem in the club.
    Definitely a unit worth looking at.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.