Does anyone else think this is annoying? - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArcLyte View Post
    Particularly with EDM people are facing the booth when they dance theses days.
    EH... people have always done that. Not just with EDM...

@ ArcLyte, your wrong. Just plain wrong.

This isnt 'oldtimerism' its more like YOU not understanding a different kind of DJing.

The clubs i go to the most important element is the music and the people you are with or near. Looking at the DJ is something you do occasionally, maybe to woop and wave your hands.

This thread is mind boggling narrow minded and showing terrible naivety im afraid.

DJTTs is mainly about digital DJing and Controllerism but it is NOT about dissing any older form of DJing. Its all inclusive, not exclusive and snobbish.

You seem to ignore that there are many forms of DJing and many more ways to present your music. None are irrelevant just because technology changes.

You use timecode yeah ? Theres plenty of people that think laptop dj are wankers. Theres always some bigoted person ready to rubbish any form of Djing.
    Dont be one of those people, at least not on DJTTs anyway.

I'm sorry Karlos I thought I was entitled to my opinion? Who exactly are you to tell me I'm wrong when all you are doing is stating your opinion!

Look i am not being snobbish and if you took it that way, that's on you. I started this thread by saying that it annoys me when DJs turn their backs to flip through their CD booklets. So let me get this straight if I am to be on this board I have to have the same views on DJing you do? If not then my views are "rubbish"? Dude you seem like the one who has to come down off their high horse not me.
    Last edited by ArcLyte; 04-28-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: misquote
    Traktor Pro
    Serato Scratch Live
    Denon DN-MC6000
    Timecode CDs

Tech Mentor

We have to duck down to skin up and store all the numbers from the hot chix in our phones m8 - it's less trouble that way

Whatdya want anyway? us to dance for u while u throw coins at our feet like dancing monkeys?

I'm sorry Karlos I thought I was entitled to my opinion? Who exactly are you to tell me I'm wrong when all you are doing is stating your opinion!

Look i am not being snobbish and if you took it that way, that's on you. I started this thread by saying that it annoys me when DJs turn their backs to flip through their CD booklets. So let me get this straight if I am to be on this board I have to have the same views on DJing you do? If not then my views are "rubbish"? Dude you seem like the one who has to come down off their high horse not me.
    Well in one way you are being snobbish by telling me, that having been clubbing since i was 15 so that's nearly 24 years from the old days of proper blues parties and hip hop nights right through the heady days of rave in the 80's and 90's and most recently the early 2000's that in my opinion i go to listen to the music not the dj, EG if Masters At Work were playing at wherever in London i would go because i know their style of music and djing not because i want to look at them all night, I go with friends and dance around chatting and generally enjoying myself, another example my friends from twogoodsouls who play soul heaven pacha defected, i actually go to the gigs with them and dance around, again not watch them spin vinyl mp3 or check their technical know how, or to admire their wonderful smiles, see my point.

as you said it annoys you that's your opinion, my opinion is that it doesn't annoy me lol, everyone has their own opinion but telling people that and to quote Oldtimerism that they are wrong is well wrong >.<

people on DJTT are great because we do have lots of different opinions but we also avoid the bias which comes with vinyl v mp3 vs cdj vs ipad to be honest it comes back to one point it's all about the music and the people you are with, dj's just do a very good job of making that time better ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    We have to duck down to skin up and store all the numbers from the hot chix in our phones m8 - it's less trouble that way

Whatdya want anyway? us to dance for u while u throw coins at our feet like dancing monkeys?
    lol

Ok people I get it i will be sure to chime in on the post where I agree with you from this point forward. Thanks for letting me know. Have a nice day!

One last thing... after reading the thread ripping apart the ipad DJ girl. This is all a little hypocritical to me, whatever.
    Traktor Pro
    Serato Scratch Live
    Denon DN-MC6000
    Timecode CDs

Alright alright everyone chillout. This isn't a subject to get heated about.

I think what Karlos is saying is that you seem like you don't understand that DJs have been turning their backs or bending down out of site since the begining. The only way to avoid this is by having A LOT of table space or to use a laptop. DJs will be using CDJs and Vinyl for a while longer so it's just part of the game.

Some people go to the club to dance, some go to listen to the music, and yes some people watch the DJ. But unless they are putting on a show with a gimmick then I personally just dance my ass off all night win out looking at the booth. Especially because I already know how to DJ so I have no reason to watch them all night.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Your are entitled to your opinion, of course you are.

Thing is, your opinion IS wrong because it is misguided.

Your opinion is based on the assumption that vinyl DJs are not giving a good show because they turn their back on the crowd. They have to turn their back to look in their/our crates so it is not an option and not something that can be improved upon by technology.

Its a bit like saying 'why do bands have drummers when they can have a drum machine'

Its silly, sorry man it just my opinion. I think your being narrow-minded.

Youve obviously never been a vinyl dj/junkie and maybe the whole vinyl culture has passed you by. That doesnt make it less relevant than new formats.

Tech Wizard

While DJing, at least when it comes down to it, is mainly about the music. Although, if the DJ is standing still looking bored and playing OK music, the set will probably just be OK. If the same DJ is dancing hard and going crazy right along with the crowd, the set will most likely be received much better.

I've probably played over 150 shows as a modern folk musician and it takes a long, long time to really figure out how to work an audience. Stage presence is JUST as important as playing good music. Engaging the audience will only bring the closer to the art/music you're providing. Have you ever gone to see one of your favorite bands, only to realize they suck on stage. Maybe they weren't enthusiastic, or they were assholes... who knows, it's always a letdown though.

I mainly do college house parties here in Michigan, but I always try to get creative with my crowd pleasing tactics. I have a big light box underneath me with switches. It has a strobe, colored, and spot lights. I'll turn everything off on big build ups and when the bass drops, I'll whip out an american flag and start jumping around like complete fucking idiot. It never ever fails to get people cheering.

If I get stressed with equipment issues or if something is going wrong, I'll usually grab a few people from the audience have them dance in front or behind the booth. I'll tell them to pump up the crowd. Other than that, just interact with the audience, show them your having just as much fun as they are, and don't be an asshole to people.

thats my coffee induced rant for ya.

Karlos do you even go to clubs anymore hearing other DJ sets or do you spend your time on these board making smug self serving comments all day? I'm just curious because you seem like the type that gets his kicks from one upping people. i'm sorry don't let me knock your hobby, everybody has got to feel important some time.
    Traktor Pro
    Serato Scratch Live
    Denon DN-MC6000
    Timecode CDs

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast