Monitor speakers? What should I get? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    no problem man. Tapco is a sub company of Mackie, which explains why the tapco thump was recently discontinued, and mackie released some M thumps or something hahaha.

1 should be fine for now. It wont be stereo, but thats not a big deal. A friend of mine has spun downtempo by the bar with just 1 thump before, while we tore it up in the backroom. He said he had plenty of coverage, but it wasnt overly intrusive.

The only downside is... they wont fit on your desk hahaha.
    Yeah I am not in a rush to get the second. I just wanted to get some speakers that I can use at home as well as in the future I will be able to use for small parties, as opposed to getting some smaller speakers for home and then going out to buy even more speakers for small events. I figure it's less expensive in the long-run.

And yeah they aren't exactly small I've noticed haha. I will have to make some room.

Tech Guru

yeah... the ladies are not a big fan of having a big speaker on a polestand in the room... the apc 40 gets the ladies though hahahaha.

Tech Mentor

studio monitors are also called "near field monitors", they're designed to sound flat and good only from a short distance from the speakers, and the tweeters need to be at ear level. They're great for dj'ing in your bed room / production, but don't take them to parties, they're not lound enough and don't provide the needed covrage that PA speakers do. Get a matrix-1000 or thumps for a cheap PA, i found some awesome m-audio bx5a monitors on ebay for like $150 with a soundcard that I ended up selling for $70

I just got some mackie mr5 yesterday and there amazin! I'm proper chuffed with em
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Mentor

I'm wondering about this too, how would you connect your sound card to a pair of PA speakers if you didn't have a mixer?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    I'm wondering about this too, how would you connect your sound card to a pair of PA speakers if you didn't have a mixer?
    To properly do it you would need a powered DI box like this: http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1699

I have a mixer with XLR out but I'm trying to make my setup more portable, so I going to internally mix on a VCI-100 and have sound out from my
    Audio 2 DJ -RCA-> samson s-covert --XLR-> PA Amp

You could get 1/8"/RCA to XLR cables to go from sound card to PA but the issue is that you're going from a line level unbalanced (-10db) connection on your sound card to a balanced (+4db) connection on your PA, basically you loose a lot of volume. You would have to turn up your amp to compensate, personally I wouldn't risk breaking your amp/speakers, get a DI box or use +4db outs..

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    To properly do it you would need a powered DI box like this: http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1699

I have a mixer with XLR out but I'm trying to make my setup more portable, so I going to internally mix on a VCI-100 and have sound out from my
    Audio 2 DJ -RCA-> samson s-covert --XLR-> PA Amp

You could get 1/8"/RCA to XLR cables to go from sound card to PA but the issue is that you're going from a line level unbalanced (-10db) connection on your sound card to a balanced (+4db) connection on your PA, basically you loose a lot of volume. You would have to turn up your amp to compensate, personally I wouldn't risk breaking your amp/speakers, get a DI box or use +4db outs..
    Wait what? I need one of those things too? I don't have a mixer I'll be just getting sound out of an audio 2 dj...

Christ good thing you told me. Is that all I need lol? And I'm assuming that samson s-covert is a good one to get right? I am so tired of reading reviews for every frigging item I buy haha.

Tech Guru

He's got the audio 2 dj (balanced TRS if i'm not mistaken). I'm pretttty sure you can run a trs to xlr straight into the back of the thump...

EDIT

Confirmed. The audio 2 djs maximum output is +9.6 dBu, which is well above pro level specifications.
    Last edited by sine143; 04-25-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    studio monitors are also called "near field monitors", they're designed to sound flat and good only from a short distance from the speakers, and the tweeters need to be at ear level. They're great for dj'ing in your bed room / production, but don't take them to parties, they're not lound enough and don't provide the needed covrage that PA speakers do. Get a matrix-1000 or thumps for a cheap PA, i found some awesome m-audio bx5a monitors on ebay for like $150 with a soundcard that I ended up selling for $70
    Tweeters essentially need to be at ear level. Vertical dispersion is crap in the high frequencies. You can compensate by turning PA speakers up louder, but this means that whoever is actually at ear level to them is gonna get they're head blown off.

lack of volume is directly porportional to coverage (inverse square law), although I agree, nearfeild monitors are more lacking in dispersion (especially in the high frequencies) than a majority of PA speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    He's got the audio 2 dj (balanced TRS if i'm not mistaken). I'm pretttty sure you can run a trs to xlr straight into the back of the thump...

EDIT

Confirmed. The audio 2 djs maximum output is +9.6 dBu, which is well above pro level specifications.
    It's not balanced if it comes out stereo from the TRS. It could be balanced if you use both channels for output, but then no cuing.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast