Scratching in Ableton Live - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zcritter View Post
    This is gonna be huge! However, for all of us out there w/ no turntables there must be a way to get this going "a la Moldover" ...
    Yup that is right, in essence i am still scratching with midi

Id actually like to get an absolute timecode cd and copy it to my hard drive so i try some cue points with this too >=)

IMO, scratching is over-rated. I use Ableton and personally, have zero interest in this.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Tech View Post
    IMO, scratching is over-rated. I use Ableton and personally, have zero interest in this.
    Each to thier own. It depends what style of music you play, but having tactile control like that over ableton tracks is awesome with a mixer. Adds an extra layer, Scratch Perverts digital style is what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    Each to thier own. It depends what style of music you play, but having tactile control like that over ableton tracks is awesome with a mixer. Adds an extra layer, Scratch Perverts digital style is what I'm thinking.
    I agree there, like i said before i am not really a huge scratching fan but i think it can be tasteful in very small quantities. I also have appreciate the fact it opens much more creative avenues up for scratch artists(and even controllerists who want hands on deck control as opposed to a Moldover style scratch).

Deviant_Tech - Lets please try to keep things constructive

Be constructive? Well help me out... I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of scratching on the dancefloor. Sure, it looks fancy and impresses the punters but it totally ruins any groove while people are trying to dance. It seems more to me like a showmanship thing that is out of place in the club. Opinions?

Tech Convert

No more of 5 secs of scratch.

Tech Convert

Default Novation scratching with ammobox

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Yup that is right, in essence i am still scratching with midi

Id actually like to get an absolute timecode cd and copy it to my hard drive so i try some cue points with this too >=)
    So do you think it would be possible to map the functionality of the timecoded vinyl to say the x-y touch pad on an SL? This would be ideal. Anyone got ideas?

zcritter, try applying one of your controls to the tempo of the timecode and turn up the range of the tempo that is covered by the fader. With enough range in the tempo you might be able to replicate some of the deck, but it will never be the same as a jog.

Found some more Ableton live scratching action, this one has a very cool record function added in. Its a VST, which is great cause that means you don't need to own Reaktor to run this, just a host that supports VSTs(like Ableton). Its called Sxratch and you can find it here -http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1542.html

And here is a video of someone who has never scratched, using Sxratch scratching James Brown's funky drummer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGr5RQ1ppoc

Best of all, its free

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Tech View Post
    I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of scratching on the dancefloor. Sure, it looks fancy and impresses the punters but it totally ruins any groove while people are trying to dance. It seems more to me like a showmanship thing that is out of place in the club. Opinions?
    I know of plenty of clubs where scratching and crowd hyping are expected. Like it or not, lots of DJs work in places where showmanship plays a major part of their performance. And who said this was just for club DJs? Battle DJs could benefit from this, as it would allow them to "make" battle records on the fly. DJs that perform with groups could also see a benefit from this for the same reason. It "unlocks" the DJ from rigid grooves and allows them to improvise based on the content they're playing against.

There is a very sizable group of DJs working in all kinds of venues that are expected to perform in ways you apparently do not. Being narrow-minded doesn't change this fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast