Basic Studio Monitors - help - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Thanks chaps, thats really helpful. I was always going to listen to them before I bought them, just wanted to get a good idea of which ones to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    I advise against HiFi speakers.. but that would require another thread.
    yeah I already have a good pair HiFi speakers, but gone are the days I could spend that sort of money on myself!
    Current Top 3:
    1. Loco Dice - Seeing through Shadows
    2. Light Year - Sex Education
    3. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (DJ Pierre Remix)

as I brouth up hifi speakers I feel that I have to add that it is not a good solution, but within the price range we are talkin there might be an alternative if u cant find any studiomonitors that u feel comfortable with, imo it is you who are going to listen to the speakers and if u get a pair of monitors that sound uncolored and flat but they r uncofortable to listen to for long periods u might be better off with some hifi that u can listen to for hours, but in the end its all up to what u feel comfortable with.

as an alternative to monitors i can recommend AKG K240 headphones, I have a pair that I use when i cant use my monitors(I live in a flat)
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Well... I'd pit Beyer Dynamics against AKG anytime.

From what I've heared, the AKG's main choice reason is nice quality, but better pricing.
    When a part breaks it's easy to replace.

Basically the most sound judgement in this case is personal preference.
    For me Genelec monitors are too agressive. I cannot cope with them for too long. I can only listen to them for two hours a day tops, where as I can just go on and on with the Mackies.
    Same goes for the AKG, only a few hours tops and Beyer Dynamics for hours on end.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

each to his own m8
    I choosed the AKG k240's for use when i was mixing live music, at that time a 4 man coverband, and they r exelent for that, loads of effect out of them and even at rly loud volumes there where no problems hearing details in the mix (15 channels) and on top of that they are rly detailed and comfy for use at low volumes in a studio enviroment. so rly good overall imo

vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post

For me Genelec monitors are too agressive. I cannot cope with them for too long. I can only listen to them for two hours a day tops, where as I can just go on and on with the Mackies.
    I must ask what model of the Genelec are u refering to? Imo there is a huge difference between the 10xx series to the 80xx series

vestax PMC-CX

Can't even remember. It was quite some time ago when I tried the Genelec.
    (That and my memories getting worse as I age. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Genelec's are an excellent choice... no doubt. However, they were not even close to be in the mentioned list due to it's huge price tag... and there are other brands that compete fiercely in that category.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Genelec's are an excellent choice... no doubt. However, they were not even close to be in the mentioned list due to it's huge price tag... and there are other brands that compete fiercely in that category.
    yes, my bad for goin off topic a bit, but i did mention the BEHRINGER MS40 that do sound supricingly good for the small pricetag, and the listed speakers that i have listend to would fall in tha same order with the listing tekki made, i just havent had the chance to listen to the mackies thou

Originally Posted by tekki
    Loking at Julios recommendations, I would strongly advice in the following order:

1.) Mackies MR8
    2.) KRK Rockits
    3.) Alesis M1
    4.) Behringer B2031A
    in the end it still comes down to what speaks to your ears in the most comfortable way, that was the point i was trying to make earlyer

vestax PMC-CX

Tech Guru

MR8s were by far the best that I listened to for thier price... so I bought them...
    and then got to crank them with my favorite Dubstep/DnB tunes... and fell I love.

The only thing better imo would be the HR series mackies.

Flat sound + heaps of bass = win

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    MR8s were by far the best that I listened to for thier price... so I bought them...
    and then got to crank them with my favorite Dubstep/DnB tunes... and fell I love.

The only thing better imo would be the HR series mackies.

Flat sound + heaps of bass = win

Glad you liked them... I tried to be honest with my review on all of them. I was not trying to sell any of them. Definitely, the HR series are better... but then again.. there are a few models better than those for the same/near price range.

Enjoy your new monitors.. I know I am!
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast