Vestax SPIN Mapping for Traktor Duo/Pro
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Vestax SPIN Mapping for Traktor Duo/Pro

Hello all,

I've been working on a simple and clean Traktor mapping for Vestax's Spin controller together with Ean Golden for DJTT. The "SPIN Basic" mapping was designed to be able to work with Traktor Duo but will also work with Traktor Pro (it is a 2 Deck, 2 FX Bank based mapping). The mapping also employs a Fader FX mode and an Instant FX button in addition to other typical controls.

The tsi and a labeled Mapping layout JPEG are attached with this post. Most functions should be self explanatory after viewing the mapping layout (especially if you are familiar with the VCI-100 mapping); however, if there are any questions please feel free to ask. Anything which was not labeled on the Mapping layout (e.g., the EQ faders) functions essentially as its original label.

First off, I will explain a few things that may not be obvious from the layout.

-The existing "Gain" faders control the 5 FX Presets (with corresponding LEDs) for each FX Bank. As you move the fader, the FX Presets will instantly change signified by the LED moving next to it.

-FX Parameter1 is always dedicated to the Instant FX button. Currently, the Instant FX parameter is set to Beatmasher for every FX Preset (there will be different FX settings for different FX Presets in the future). While holding the Instant FX button, you can control the instant fx rate by moving the jog wheel.

-FX Parameters 2 & 3 are reserved for Fader FX mode where touching the Jog Wheel will activate FX Parameter3, moving the Jogwheel will control the FX Parameter3 amount and the FX Dry/Wet, and the level fader will activate/control the FX Parameter2 amount and the FX Dry/Wet.

In the future, the FX Presets and Instant FX settings will likely be tweaked to offer the best possible combinations; however, for now these should suffice. On that note, I've commented every line in the mapping for easy understanding and editability. For instance, the FX Presets are very easy to locate and change should you be inclined to.

If enough Spin owners have interest in this mapping, DJ Techtools may begin creating overlays and upkeep an official mapping for the Spin controller so please share your thoughts and opinions!

Tech Convert

this is non responsive for me any time I try and play with the gain faders (the center two faders)

thank you for your hard work! hopefully we will be able to get this similar to the vci mappings level!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr530 View Post
    this is non responsive for me any time I try and play with the gain faders (the center two faders)!
    Does this completely freeze your controller, or can it be re-awoken by pressing the Play button in Traktor (via your computer)? I experienced that a few times but never to the point I couldn't get it to work again.

Tech Convert

your trick fixed it. But what is causing this? I could see this being terrifying during a performance!

(I am new to DJing, but I would love to help with the mapping. I need to learn about mapping, modifiers, etc, after this semester is over)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr530 View Post
    your trick fixed it. But what is causing this? I could see this being terrifying during a performance!)
    Unfortunately I'm not quite sure what the issue is right now. It could potentially be sending more midi data across the controller than it was designed to handle, but I certainly would hope that's not the case. The issue was somewhat intermittent on the Spin I was using, so I was hoping that my controller was faulty and it not be a result of the tsi.

I'm very curious though to see how consistent the controller freezing up issue is with other Spin users. If anyone tests it out, please share your input.

Tech Wizard

Looking at the work oldfashioned has done in his topic, this problem seems to be related with the LED's next to the gain faders. If you disable sending output to those LED's everything works as intended.

I've tried playing with your TSI yesterday without touching the gain faders, and it still locked up after half an hour. You can "resurrect" it by clicking on the play button, but that's not very useful when playing a set is it. ;-)

Besides that, you've made a very nice mapping! Kudo's!

Tech Student

I'm definitely interested in a fully stable tsi for the Spin.

I've had a play with Oldfashioned's but unfortunately it's locked up on me a couple of times so I'm probably not going to run with it out live.

I'm surprised nobody has been able to extract a mapping from the Typhoon yet - I know they're not on sale but they are doing the shows.

In the meantime it's either Traktor and a mouse or DJay and the Spin for tomorrow night!

Tech Wizard

Every mapping has locked up for me, even self-made ones with just the play button mapped. It's because of the output signals.
    If I map a play button without mapping the LED associated with it, I can hit it as much as I want, it won't lockup.
    If I however, map the output to the LED, my controller will lock up after a while of hitting the play button.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mrdenis View Post
    I'm definitely interested in a fully stable tsi for the Spin.

I've had a play with Oldfashioned's but unfortunately it's locked up on me a couple of times so I'm probably not going to run with it out live.

I'm surprised nobody has been able to extract a mapping from the Typhoon yet - I know they're not on sale but they are doing the shows.

In the meantime it's either Traktor and a mouse or DJay and the Spin for tomorrow night!
    Very surprising to hear that OldFashioned's .tsi doesn't work for you. What kind of laptop/computer are you using? I only have the default keyboard mapping and OldFashioned's SPIN mapping and it works great, including the LED outputs.

Tech Wizard

I'm pretty sure he's using a Mac, just like me...

I've already found out with other controllers that OS X's tighter MIDI timing isn't always working in it's advantage.
    I've had a Reloop controller which refused to light up 2 or more LED's at the same time because of that. On Windows (whichever version) there were no problems at all.

It seems this problem may also be related to that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast